Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

New immigration policies: Japan to fingerprint and photograph visitors (merged)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New immigration policies: Japan to fingerprint and photograph visitors (merged)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2007, 3:46 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LapLap
Personally, I consider the no multiple citizenship rule to be just as much a sign of Japan's lumbering, pedantic and inflexible bureaucratic process which loves to pigeonhole and categorise people. Someone somewhere probably has nightmares at the thought of opening a family book for someone just like you. I guess this is kind of a xenophobia too. (Spain now forces new citizens to take on two surnames by the way - this means the systems stay as they are and its the people who change)
I also still have an unexpired Japanese passport – from the days when Japanese passports were only valid for one trip and expired on the holder’s return to Japan! I have never tried to re-enter Japan with this passport and am not sure what will happen if I try to do so now.

I agree with you about Japanese inflexible bureaucracy. The reason why I’ve had to travel to Japan several times recently was due to family bereavement and I had enough experience of Japanese bureaucracy and wondered why the term “red tape” was not invented in Japan. (OK, Japanese have “oyakusho shigoto”.) As a non-resident with a very common Japanese name, I found it amusing that in addition to a copy of the family register (koseki) and my UK passport (the only photo ID I have) the only thing that proved I was the person I claimed to be was a “hanko” (seal) that I could buy from a corner shop!

As you probably know Japan does allow dual nationality to people up to the age of 22, when they have to make a choice. The status of people who had dual nationality before 1985 is unclear. Remember the Fujimori saga?
Old Nov 29, 2007, 4:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fujimori is hardly the best example when considering dual nationality.

The people I know are older than 22 and didn't make a choice. They are Japanese in Japan (and at their embassies) and are Japanese and English (or American) outside of these realms.

My husband returned to Japan for similar reasons to you but needed to stay there as those circumstances were ongoing. Although he had been in Britain for long enough to be offered citizenship, once he had been in in Japan for a few years he was no longer able to return on anything except a visitors visa. As someone who was schooled in Britain, who speaks English as his first language and who is more or less illiterate in Japanese, this would hardly seem fair either. But that was his choice.

The law changed in the UK too, From the early 80s onwards we found that my mother (who never took up British citizenship - and never will) would have lost any right to live in the UK had my Father died. Now that the UK & Spain are both in the EEC this has probably changed, but this was a serious threat to my family when my brother and I were going through School.

All countries have dreadful policies. I'm not sure it's right to say any are worse or more xenophobic than others. They're all appalling when you find yourself on the wrong side of them.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 5:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
http://reentryjapan.blogspot.com/200...-using-to.html

If you would like to protest make a copy and include it with your passport when you arrive in Japan.
Originally Posted by kcvt750
And then make plans to spend the evening in a concrete block room at the Japan airport of your choice?
I wouldn't make any plans like that , I'm sure they will not even blink an eyelash when you hand yours over..........now distributing them to all non-Japanese on your flight/ship might be a different story!
Old Nov 29, 2007, 5:43 pm

Programs: WWMFD
The next step....

Japan Times Online 11-30
Cities call for national registry of foreign residents

GIFU (Kyodo) A group of cities with communities of non-Japanese residents has called on the central government to establish a national registry to help keep track of foreign residents who decide to move to other places.

Foreign residents are required to register with the governments of the municipalities where they reside, separately from Japanese residents, but some do not reregister after moving elsewhere and end up being left out of local administrative services.
Old Nov 29, 2007, 6:42 pm

Programs: UA*G, UA 1MM
I'll be entering Japan on Sunday, through Narita. Any recent visitors care to share experience on their wait time to get through immigration? Any worse than usual since the new policy was implemented?
Old Nov 29, 2007, 10:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Japan Times Online 11-30Cities call for national registry of foreign residents

GIFU (Kyodo) A group of cities with communities of non-Japanese residents has called on the central government to establish a national registry to help keep track of foreign residents who decide to move to other places.

Foreign residents are required to register with the governments of the municipalities where they reside, separately from Japanese residents, but some do not reregister after moving elsewhere and end up being left out of local administrative services.

Isn't that special, the xenophobes begin to line up all their ducks. When they finish with the foreigners who will they blame?
Old Nov 29, 2007, 11:29 pm

Programs: WWMFD
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Isn't that special, the xenophobes begin to line up all their ducks. When they finish with the foreigners who will they blame?
I applied for my scarlet G today.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 5:52 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
I heard an interesting story from an acquaintance today -

A non-Japanese employee of a certain company in Taito Ku stole the company seal before quitting his job. Nobody noticed that it was missing until the company received a letter in the mail from Tokyo Immigration office with regard to a visa application in some stranger's name, (a visa which had already been issued with the company listed as the employer).

The owner of the company immediately contacted the immigration office in Shinagawa to let them know that there was a case of fraud - and the visa holder was a stranger to the company.

Immigration first tried to scare off the owner by telling him that he could get into trouble for not reporting his missing company seal. Then they told him not to bother mentioning the visa to the police, because "you'll just end up filling out a lot of paperwork for nothing and besides, the visa will expire in a year."

Perhaps it would be an embarrassment to the immigration officers if the police were to be alerted about this incident in which they issued a visa to an illegal, without taking sufficient steps to verify that he was employed by the company. Or perhaps they're just so busy taking fingerprints from the hundreds of law abiding foreigners arriving at the airports that they don't have time to investigate known cases of fraud.

Funny old world, eh?

(Caveat lector -- This story is now "third hand" - my acquaintance heard it from the owner of the business involved).

Last edited by jib71; Nov 30, 2007 at 6:01 am
Old Nov 30, 2007, 6:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jib71
Funny old world, eh?
Yeah, and the jokes on them(fill in blank........)!^
Old Nov 30, 2007, 6:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jib71
I heard an interesting story from an acquaintance today -

A non-Japanese employee of a certain company in Taito Ku stole the company seal before quitting his job. Nobody noticed that it was missing until the company received a letter in the mail from Tokyo Immigration office with regard to a visa application in some stranger's name, (a visa which had already been issued with the company listed as the employer).

The owner of the company immediately contacted the immigration office in Shinagawa to let them know that there was a case of fraud - and the visa holder was a stranger to the company.

Immigration first tried to scare off the owner by telling him that he could get into trouble for not reporting his missing company seal. Then they told him not to bother mentioning the visa to the police, because "you'll just end up filling out a lot of paperwork for nothing and besides, the visa will expire in a year."

Perhaps it would be an embarrassment to the immigration officers if the police were to be alerted about this incident in which they issued a visa to an illegal, without taking sufficient steps to verify that he was employed by the company. Or perhaps they're just so busy taking fingerprints from the hundreds of law abiding foreigners arriving at the airports that they don't have time to investigate known cases of fraud.

Funny old world, eh?

(Caveat lector -- This story is now "third hand" - my acquaintance heard it from the owner of the business involved).
I wonder if this person would like to tell their story to a large newspaper?
Old Nov 30, 2007, 6:17 am

Asashoryu returned today. Was she fingerprinted
and mug shot? Just curious.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by EXLEFTSEAT
Asashoryu returned today. Was she fingerprinted
and mug shot? Just curious.
Was he? Isn't he Japanese as he is a Yokozuna?
Old Nov 30, 2007, 7:46 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
The next step....

Japan Times Online 11-30
A group of cities with communities of non-Japanese residents has called on the central government to establish a national registry to help keep track of foreign residents who decide to move to other places.
Gaijins will be required to seek permission to travel away from their registered place of residence and/or there will be exclusion zones for non-Japanese.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 8:11 am

Programs: NW Gold/SPG Plat/Hilton Gold
Arrived on NW from HKG

Originally Posted by woodway
I'll be entering Japan on Sunday, through Narita. Any recent visitors care to share experience on their wait time to get through immigration? Any worse than usual since the new policy was implemented?
There were several international flights that arrived on Thursday around 1:30pm. I was on NW 002 from HKG and the entire process only took 15 minutes of waiting. It was rather painless.

Now I know what foreigners have felt like coming to the USA who have been doing this for some time.
Old Nov 30, 2007, 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Andrew14302
There were several international flights that arrived on Thursday around 1:30pm. I was on NW 002 from HKG and the entire process only took 15 minutes of waiting. It was rather painless.

Now I know what foreigners have felt like coming to the USA who have been doing this for some time.
Hope this is an indication that things are running smoothly. I'll be arriving at T1 on Saturday at about the same time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.