Wiki Posts
Search

Japan (Tokyo and beyond) Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 22, 2023, 1:49 am

Programs: QR Platinum, Lifetime PAN AM Clipper Club
Originally Posted by YariGuy
Departure on what day?
June 13th. Lots of flexibility. If I want to start at one end of Japan(SW?), then maybe fly out. Then get a 7 day JR Rail pass(?) to shoot back to Tokyo. Whatever looks interesting and works. Looking for a plan.

Last edited by bundubasher; May 22, 2023 at 1:55 am
Old May 22, 2023, 3:59 pm

Hi there!
My friends and I are travelling as a group of 6. We're interested in going to Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto for 2 weeks, and then possible go to Seoul for a week afterwards.
For the trip to Japan, does anyone have recommendations of how many days to spend in each place - Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto? The group consists of 3 couples in their 30's, no kids, but child at heart haha. Focused on eating, shopping, and weeb-ing!

Thank you in advanced!
Old May 22, 2023, 8:02 pm

NRT Terminal 1 to/from 2

My flight leaves from NRT T2, but I'd like to access a lounge in T1. Is this possible & permitted?

I understand there's a shuttle bus airside between the 2 terminals (or else I can walk landside). Will I be allowed into T1 with a boarding pass for T2?
Old May 22, 2023, 8:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by sfvoyage
I understand there's a shuttle bus airside between the 2 terminals (or else I can walk landside). Will I be allowed into T1 with a boarding pass for T2?
To go landside to airside at T1 you will need a boarding pass for a flight that leaves from T1. To use the inter-terminal shuttle bus from T2 to T1, you will need to convince the driver that you are boarding a flight that leaves from T1.

I won't say that it can't be done, but to borrow a phrase from Boromir "One does not simply get into the secure area of another terminal at NRT."
Old May 22, 2023, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by jib71
To go landside to airside at T1 you will need a boarding pass for a flight that leaves from T1. To use the inter-terminal shuttle bus from T2 to T1, you will need to convince the driver that you are boarding a flight that leaves from T1.

I won't say that it can't be done, but to borrow a phrase from Boromir "One does not simply get into the secure area of another terminal at NRT."
In that case I won't even try. In many airports, like my home airport SFO, it is possible to get into any terminal with a same-day ticket. I guess that's not the case with NRT.
Old May 23, 2023, 7:57 pm

How does ANA availability work with Aeroplan? Is it 2 J seats will be available at T-355, and then a random amount closer to T-21 and T-14? I booked 1 J seat for February 8th to NRT, and hoping I can book 1 more.
Old May 24, 2023, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by richard_dong
How does ANA availability work with Aeroplan? Is it 2 J seats will be available at T-355, and then a random amount closer to T-21 and T-14? I booked 1 J seat for February 8th to NRT, and hoping I can book 1 more.
As far as I know - from others helping me on FT - T-50 weeks and T-2 to 4 weeks is the strategy. I'm kind of in the same boat, thinking I might need to book 1 seat first and anxiously try to book the 2nd seat.
Old May 24, 2023, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Dizzybean
As far as I know - from others helping me on FT - T-50 weeks and T-2 to 4 weeks is the strategy. I'm kind of in the same boat, thinking I might need to book 1 seat first and anxiously try to book the 2nd seat.
How close is your flight? You should let me know how it goes
Old May 30, 2023, 12:06 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

What gives?

I just got back from Osaka, and it seems like things have gone downhill.

Why do I think so? It seems like anyone who has ever smoked is now doing so on every possible sidewalk, threshold, and alley.

I thought that Osaka was like Tokyo in the "smoking is prohibited while walking" sense. Is there a new governor who pulled the plug on this stroke of logic? Is Osaka now an arrondisement of Paris? What's going on?

(on another note, I saw five people today eating while walking. Usually it's just one or two in two weeks. This isn't a complaint, just wondering where the post-pandemic Kansai metropolis is veering towards.)
Old May 30, 2023, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
I just got back from Osaka, and it seems like things have gone downhill...

on another note, I saw five people today eating while walking.
Were those 5 tourists or locals? It would indeed be surprising if they were locals.
Old May 30, 2023, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA Gold, BA Silver, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Mict
Hi, just booked a last minute 4 day trip to Tokyo for memorial week-end and I am continuously changing my mind on hotels so I figured I would ask for tips here.
I will be travelling solo and would be my second time in Tokyo (although first time was for a 2 day stop-over on my way somewhere else).

Three properties I am looking at: Ritz Carlton, Conrad, Kimpton
I have Marriott Titanium status and Gold at both IHG and Hilton (so I imagine I shouldn't expect much in terms of elite benefits in any of these hotels, even with the Titanium status given it's a RC)

Pros and cons I gathered for each:

Ritz
+ Cheapest (by about 20% relative to Conrad / Kimpton, thanks to corporate rate)
+ Location seems good
+ Concierge to get restaurant bookings (trying some good Omakase is a priority of mine, but how much will they be able to help < 1 week out? Not expecting the top restaurants of course but 1 or 2 somewhat "special" meals would be great)
+ Potential upgrade with Titanium status (Seems very unlikely reading the RC Tokyo thread)
- This is more subjective but it looks more dated and less "vibrant" (I am in my late twenties and I usually prefer properties like Andaz, Edition, W, Kimpton)
- No breakfast included in rate

Conrad
+ FHR benefits: mainly breakfast and potential upgrade (though not expecting anything). Won't need early check-in or late check-out.
+ I assume concierge would be as connected as the RC one?
+ Subjective but looks nicer than the RC in pictures (for me)
- Location seems the worse of the 3?

Kimpton
This one might look like the odd one out of the three but I am a big fan of the brand and loved the hospitality during each of my previous stays (Amsterdam, London, Portland Riverside)
+ Location: Easy access to most parts of the city from Shinjuku station
+ New / Modern property
+ Breakfast included
- Least "luxurious" of the 3 for the price (same price as Conrad)
- Rooms look quite small
- I imagine the concierge here might not be as connected?

Other hotels I would have considered are much more expensive on my travel dates.
Small update in case this is helpful to anyone in the future: Ended up staying at the RC after all and had a very enjoyable stay. The staff was just amazing and the concierge (Rachel) had great restaurant recommendations and arranged reservations very last minute (nothing considered "special" or "famous" but very enjoyable nonetheless). Only very minor downside was the location where I had to change metros to get to pretty much everywhere I visited. But beside that, the location is quite central so you still get to most popular destinations relatively quickly. The neighborhood around the hotel also has a ton of shops / restaurants which was a plus.
As expected, Titanium status was worthless as the only useful benefit I got was 2pm late check-out (Not complaining here, this was aligned with my expectations going in)
Old Sep 2, 2023, 9:07 am

Any thoughts on how long a japan trip to be? Obviously its a whole country and you could spend months and not see everything, but how long minimum would people recommend spending there? Would two weeks be enough time to see lots and have a fulfilling experience?
Old Sep 2, 2023, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by oaustin
Any thoughts on how long a japan trip to be? Obviously its a whole country and you could spend months and not see everything, but how long minimum would people recommend spending there? Would two weeks be enough time to see lots and have a fulfilling experience?
Hi

In 2 weeks you could see a lot but it is easy to try and do too much so you end up exhausted.
2 weeks would be good see a number of sights in some detail ( i have spend a week in Tokyo alone on several occasions at different times of year ( ie spring for the end of cherry blossom, autumn for fall colours and late november for winter illuminations

A sample itinerary could be
Tokyo ( inc side trips to Mt Fuji)
Kyoto
Osaka
Hiroshima/Nagasaki
or Sapporo

Regards

TBS
Old Sep 2, 2023, 7:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by oaustin
Just enough, I’d say.
Personally I would opt to stay in the Western part of Japan (Osaka/Kyoto) OR in the Tokyo area and get a good feel of either region - 1 week getting to know your base city/cities plus 1 week exploring the area just around it.

If you love Japan you’ll find a way to go back. If you don’t, you will have had enough anyway.

Yes, you could sprint around the country for two weeks but it will be exhausting and superficial, at odds with the fulfilling experience you’ve said you want.
Old Sep 3, 2023, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi
i have spend a week in Tokyo alone on several occasions at different times of year ( ie spring for the end of cherry blossom, autumn for fall colours and late november for winter illuminations
Thanks for your thoughts and that sample itinerary. I totally agree on trying to squeeze too much in, I always prefer under scheduling things vs. over-scheduling to avoid burnout.

Of those times of years you visited, which were your favourite?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.