Japan (Tokyo and beyond) Master Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Japan (Tokyo and beyond) Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2024, 11:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by Daytona
Because SmartEX is for Shinkansen on JR Central, but Tokyo - Utsunomiya is JR East

Ekinet is the one you want to use.
Thanks! Is that an app, like SmartEX? JR East has an app but it doesn't seem to install on my nn-Japanese Android. I did find this web page: https://www.eki-net.com/en/jreast-tr...tion/Top/Index where it seems I can book tickets in English. But can I then assign them to a Pasmo / Suica card?

... and I guess JR East doesn't serve Nikko as that's not a valid destination when I try to even try buying a ticket from Utsunomiya. It looks like that is Tobu Railway and it seems I can just travel from Asakusa to Nikko with a Pasmo / Suica card on the slower trains.

Last edited by Xyzzy; Mar 6, 2024 at 11:32 pm
Old Mar 7, 2024, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
... and I guess JR East doesn't serve Nikko as that's not a valid destination when I try to even try buying a ticket from Utsunomiya. It looks like that is Tobu Railway and it seems I can just travel from Asakusa to Nikko with a Pasmo / Suica card on the slower trains.
I don't know why it doesn't show up on ekinet, but JR East does serve Nikko. There are two train stations, Nikko (JR East) and Tobu-Nikko.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 5:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Originally Posted by buddyj
I don't know why it doesn't show up on ekinet, but JR East does serve Nikko. There are two train stations, Nikko (JR East) and Tobu-Nikko.
I saw that there are two train stations ... but this is what I see when trying to buy tickets by statin:

If I select Tobu-Nikko the results say, "There are no routes that meet the requirements. (JS0837-MA(4110-0000-0030-108))". The other two choices look (from the map) like completely different places. BTW, searching from Nikko to anywhere gives me only the "Tobu-Nikko" choice and then it shows a similar error regardless of where I put as the destination.

So I'll either buy a Shinkasen ticket Tokyo-Utsunomiya and use Pasmo / Suica to Nikko, or just leave from Asakusa on the slower train using Pasmo / Suica ...
buddyj likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 7:41 am

I need to get to ITM airport from my hotel very early before the limo bus runs so looking to pre-book a taxi van (4 people + luggage). Is there an app I can do this? Uber doesn't let me pre-book and I want to make sure I have a ride confirmed
Old Mar 7, 2024, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Elvasoshexai
I need to get to ITM airport from my hotel very early before the limo bus runs so looking to pre-book a taxi van (4 people + luggage). Is there an app I can do this? Uber doesn't let me pre-book and I want to make sure I have a ride confirmed
Have you tried the Go taxi app? I believe it's the most used taxi app in Japan so you should have no problem finding a car. I don't recall whether you can pre-book, but it's wrth looking.
Elvasoshexai likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 9:49 am

Have you tried the Go taxi app? I believe it's the most used taxi app in Japan so you should have no problem finding a car. I don't recall whether you can pre-book, but it's wrth looking.
Thanks. I didn't take a look at the Go Taxi app since earlier posts were saying it didn't work for foreign numbers. But I checked just now anyway and actually it seems foreign #s are supported now and you can pre-book
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 9:06 am

Programs: ANA Pt
Thanks! Is that an app, like SmartEX? JR East has an app but it doesn't seem to install on my nn-Japanese Android. I did find this web page: https://www.eki-net.com/en/jreast-tr...tion/Top/Index where it seems I can book tickets in English. But can I then assign them to a Pasmo / Suica card?

If you use (and register for) the Japanese native eki-net site, https://www.eki-net.com/personal/top/index you can easily find the Shinkansen to Utsunomiya connecting via JR Nikko line to Nikko, and purchase tickets, and designate a Suica card for Shinkansen so you don't need to pick up any paper tickets. And potentially get a 10% discount on the Shinkansen fare.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2024, 6:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by synergypi
If you use (and register for) the Japanese native eki-net site, https://www.eki-net.com/personal/top/index you can easily find the Shinkansen to Utsunomiya connecting via JR Nikko line to Nikko, and purchase tickets, and designate a Suica card for Shinkansen so you don't need to pick up any paper tickets. And potentially get a 10% discount on the Shinkansen fare.
THANKS! I was able to register for and assign a Pasm card via the English section of the site: https://www.eki-net.com/en/jreast-tr...tion/Top/Index

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.