Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Japan (Tokyo and beyond) Master Thread

Japan (Tokyo and beyond) Master Thread

Old Mar 17, 2014, 3:39 am

Note that the NEX is now 1500 yen from NRT to Tokyo. You have to ask for a "Tokyo Direct Ticket" apparently. The discount does not apply from Tokyo to NRT.

http://www.jreast.co.jp/e/pass/nex_oneway.html
Old Apr 15, 2014, 1:54 am

Programs: A3 *G, HH Gold
For those looking for accommodations in Japan, may I suggest: http://travel.rakuten.com/

I use it all the time, it has a lot of the japan specific, smaller and independent hotels that normally have japanese only reservation pages but with a full english interface and reviews and ratings from the japanese side of the site which is quite popular.

I managed to get an onsen booking in Hakone during the busy new years season when pretty much everything that was english accessible otherwise was completely full.
Old Jul 2, 2014, 7:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Are the OP's 2006 threads still valid?

Is there a thread just on the JR?
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:23 pm

Programs: UA, NW
One of my helpful hints for travel in Japan is based on the fact that most streets have no names and that the street names have no connection with the mailing addresses anyway.

Print out both the Japanese and English maps from your hotels' websites (I have never seen a hotel website without a map).

The English versions are to help you find your hotel for the first time if it's within walking distance of a station or to find your way back to it after you've spent the day out.

The Japanese versions are to help your cabdriver, who may not know where any but the most famous hotels are (and Tokyo has hundreds of hotels), and to help any Japanese person you ask for directions. The hotel's phone number is helpful, too. I once didn't realize that the map I had printed out showed the location as it was before some streets got rerouted, so it was good that the cab driver was able to whip out his cell phone and call the hotel for updated directions.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 3:07 am

Great tips, thanks.
Maybe common knowledge, but getting a Suica straight out of Narita has been a lifesaver for public transport.
Old Jun 20, 2020, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA-K
Originally Posted by jib71
GETTING AROUND TOKYO

You may find it easier to travel around by purchasing a pre-paid card.

JR Trains, Subways and Buses now all accept the same non-contact cards for payment. The cards carry a 500yen deposit - and they can be charged up with 1000, 2000, 3000, 5000 or 10,000yen of credit.
The deposit is returnable - but JR charges about 210yen in admin fees if you have some money remaining on the card. So it is best to completely use up any credit that you have on the card. (And then you will get the full 500 yen returned).
So if you purchase a "SUICA" card at a JR station - it will also work on the subway. And vice versa if you purchase a "PASSMO" card at a subway station. (However, supply of PASSMO cards is currently limited so you may find it easier to buy a SUICA card).
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=646228
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suica
Here is something important about Suica that makes my trips to Japan way more convenient:
Have an iPhone? Like an iPhone X or newer?

Add a virtual Suica Card - https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207155

Now dig through your credit cards and make sure you have a card with no foreign transaction fees. Set it up in Apple Pay. Use this card for the default payment method for recharging the Suica. Put a reasonable amount on it to cover your trip from the Airport to the hotel, or more. You can do this at home before you leave for Japan. What does this get you?

You land in Japan with a cash card that uses the local currency, that's the first thing.

You now have a contactless cash/transit card in your phone that you can recharge via credit card, avoiding the need to use cash to recharge a physical Suica card*. You can also do this anywhere, not just at a train station or convenience store. These cards are not only good for public transport, many shops and eateries will take them too as a form of payment (look for the logo). If you drop low on funds (the card can carry up to 20000 -about $200- at any one time) you can recharge on the spot. No need to go to foreign exchange (or less of a need to, not everyplace takes Suica).

Another added bonus - install the Suica App (unfortunately all in Japanese) and add an account. Want a seat on the Green Car? Hop in the green car and find an empty seat with a red light over it. Sit down and buy your green card ticket with the app while in the seat and wave your phone at the sensor. It'll turn green, and you can enjoy your trip.

* Read the terms for your credit card. My card, a UA-branded Chase product, considers these transactions as "travel" and not cash advances. Combine this with no foreign transaction fees and a decent exchange rate, it makes getting money for traveling around town a lot less of a hassle.

Last edited by rworne; Jun 20, 2020 at 8:31 pm
Old Jun 22, 2020, 4:21 am

Programs: QF Silver, Marriott Gold, Amex Plat, Priority Pass
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by rworne
install the Suica App (unfortunately all in Japanese)
There is an English version (at least in the UK App Store) called SuicaEng
Old Jun 22, 2020, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA-K
Originally Posted by Markmat
There is an English version (at least in the UK App Store) called SuicaEng
Yes, but from what I've heard (I use the Japanese app) it doesn't allow green car ticket purchases. From AtaDistance:
"Meanwhile anything more complicated than adding virtual Suica: purchasing e-tickets, commuter pass, Green Seat reservations etc., still requires the Japanese only Suica App"

Suica with a virtual wallet is the best thing while traveling to Japan. I've gone around with 30,000 in my wallet and not have had to touch it for a week or two. You cannot go 100% cashless there yet, even after the recent push for the Olympics... but this and a good CC will get you 80% or more of the way there. Most cash-only places are the small mom & pop stores and some restaurant chains (Saizeria is a notable example). Huge cash drains are public transit, followed by food, and this is the only method for a foreigner to use a CC to buy public transportation fares on a CC.
Old Feb 21, 2022, 6:00 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
delete

Last edited by seigex; Feb 27, 2022 at 11:51 am
Old Jun 1, 2022, 9:54 pm

Fingerprint

Hi there!
any one knows that the Fingerprint will remain for how long in Japan immigration?
Thanks
Old Jun 1, 2022, 11:14 pm

Originally Posted by Mohamed Kamil Abdul Rasheed
any one knows that the Fingerprint will remain for how long in Japan immigration?
I would say probably forever. I remember reading an article about Japanese police keeping fingerprint/DNA collected from citizens on a voluntary basis for future use without any consent.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 4:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kentauta
I would say probably forever. I remember reading an article about Japanese police keeping fingerprint/DNA collected from citizens on a voluntary basis for future use without any consent.
There was a huge brouhaha about this in the early 90's when they ended fingerprints on the "gaijin-cards". Roll ahead to the 2000's and they collect your fingerprints each time you enter , whether you have residency or not.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
I usually stay in Shinjuku, Shinagawa or Kinshicho when I'm in Tokyo. But I've decided to mix it up a bit this time. I have 8 days to throw around where I don't have to log on to work, so I'm going to spend a couple days in Sendai, but for Tokyo, does anyone have any thoughts on a neighborhood that gives fairly good walking access to a good station where I can get fairly quick access to the Shinkansen (for jr pass) within a few stops, but is more oldschool wrt the buildings (hasn't undergone modernization yet) with lots of mom-and-pop type shops and restaurants?

I know it's kind of a broad question, but looking to mix it up a little from what I used to do before the pandemic. Currently I am booked at both the moxy kinshicho and tokyo hyatt regency for those 8 days while I decide what I want to do, but now will be canceling them both and finding a much smaller hotel or a botique hotel, based on the cheap hotel thread, in a new area that I haven't stayed in.

Maybe Asakusa? Ueno might be an option too, both have pretty good access.

Last edited by seigex; Sep 12, 2022 at 5:16 pm
Old Sep 12, 2022, 7:32 pm

Programs: UA 1k (12 year fallen GS) 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by seigex
I usually stay in Shinjuku, Shinagawa or Kinshicho when I'm in Tokyo. But I've decided to mix it up a bit this time. I have 8 days to throw around where I don't have to log on to work, so I'm going to spend a couple days in Sendai, but for Tokyo, does anyone have any thoughts on a neighborhood that gives fairly good walking access to a good station where I can get fairly quick access to the Shinkansen (for jr pass) within a few stops, but is more oldschool wrt the buildings (hasn't undergone modernization yet) with lots of mom-and-pop type shops and restaurants?

I know it's kind of a broad question, but looking to mix it up a little from what I used to do before the pandemic. Currently I am booked at both the moxy kinshicho and tokyo hyatt regency for those 8 days while I decide what I want to do, but now will be canceling them both and finding a much smaller hotel or a botique hotel, based on the cheap hotel thread, in a new area that I haven't stayed in.

We live in Hatchobori -- which definitely meets your requirements but it's pretty sleepy on weekends lol. I used to work in Daikanyama / Nakameguro area -- still old school but its changing quickly....
seigex likes this.
Old Sep 12, 2022, 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by seigex

Kanda is an interesting neighborhood.
seigex likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.