Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Narita International Airport (NRT) - Layover & Hotel
Where to stay overnight and what to do nearby

Narita Airport (NRT) is approximately 60 km from central Tokyo. It is blessed with numerous hotels, many with shuttles (served from the terminals' bus platforms) and often at surprisingly low rates for Japan. Some of these hotels offer free shuttles into the nearby city of Narita (Narita-shi).

If you have a few hours (say six or more) Narita offers many things to do--the Narita-san Shinsho-ji Temple and Park is beautiful and pleasant and on weekends one often sees performances of traditional arts and music. The Omotesando street leading there is lined with shops and restaurants, as well as a local museum.

See Mike Newman's Narita Layover Pages for many things one can do.

See the thorough online Japan Guide.

Read this article on CNN.

Some of the hotels at/near Narita Airport:
A - Radisson Hotel Narita https://www.radisson.com/narita-hote...-0221/jpnarita
B - Narita Gateway Hotel http://www.reservations.com/hotel/na...FQ-bfgodLi4M0A
C - Narita Excel Hotel Tokyu http://www.tokyuhotelsjapan.com/en/h...RIT/index.html
D - Narita View Hotel http://www.viewhotels.co.jp/narita/english/
E - Hilton Narita http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/jap...IHI/index.html
F - ANA Crowne Plaza Hotel https://www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hote...cp/hoteldetail
G - Marroad International Hotel Narita http://www.marroad.jp/narita/eindex.htm
H - Narita Tobu Hotel http://www.tobuhotel.co.jp.e.mi.hp.transer.com/narita/
I - Hotel Nikko Narita http://www.nikko-narita.com/english/
J - Narita Airport Rest House (located inside the airport) http://www.apo-resthouse.com/english/
K - Toyoko Inn Narita Kuko http://www.toyoko-inn.com/e_hotel/00037/
L - Skycourt Narita http://www.sky-hotel.jp/narita/en/

Print Wikipost

Narita Int'l. Airport (NRT) Layover & Hotel Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2005, 1:23 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, US Air
5 hour layover in NRT

I will have a 5 hour layover at NRT on the way to Beijing, and am wondering if it would be feasible to try and get out and see a little of Tokyo?
I am guessing there would be fairly efficient public transport, just wondering how far out of the city the airport is and if anything is "do-able" in that amount of time. I'd appreciate if anyone could help me out with recommendations. Thank you!
Old May 13, 2005, 3:45 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
One thing to remember is that Narita Airport isn't really in Tokyo.
From my experience, it takes nearly an hour to clear immigration and customs, thats after deboarding (which is a lengthy process itself).

Then by fastest train (either skyliner, or Narita Express) it takes about 1hour to get into Central Tokyo from Narita Airport and can cost between $40USD-$60usd roundtrip. NEX runs about every 30minutes, so you may/maynot have to wait about 30minutes for the next trains.

Then on your return trip from Tokyo 1 hr, reclear about 2-3 security checkpoints, and clear immigration/passport control, In reality you have about 1 hour to see central tokyo, not really enough time to do much (as it can take 15minutes to 1 hour just to get around Central Tokyo. There are a lot of factors the come into play timing wise, so that visiting Tokyo isn't really feasable.

You can however try to visit nearby narita city, its a nice town with various shops and temple, more info can be found at the Narita Layover page:
www.mgnewman.com/narita/

I hope that info helps your planning.

Last edited by railroadtycoon; May 13, 2005 at 4:02 pm
Old May 13, 2005, 11:12 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by RunaroundSue
I will have a 5 hour layover at NRT on the way to Beijing, and am wondering if it would be feasible to try and get out and see a little of Tokyo?
I am guessing there would be fairly efficient public transport, just wondering how far out of the city the airport is and if anything is "do-able" in that amount of time. I'd appreciate if anyone could help me out with recommendations. Thank you!
Coincidentally I am in Tokyo right now - just got in yesterday. I agree with the other poster that Tokyo isn't really "do-able" in the time you have. The times to clear customs and so forth really depend on the time of day you arrive. Yesterday, I cleared C&I in about 1/2 hour, but I wouldn't count on that. The train or limo bus will take 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 hours one way, leaving not much time to see anything in the city. If you want to get out of the airport and see "something," I agree that a quick, one-stop run into Narita city is definitely worth the time and effort. The temple is very nice and there is an interesting shopping area nearby. Just leave plenty of time to get back through security before your onward flight.

You don't mention when you are coming, but the weather right now is quite decent, temps in the 60s with some clouds.

JR
Old May 16, 2005, 12:57 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

OK, I cannot imagine a hotel in Narita checking id to give you a room, even if they say they do in advance. So you could check into a hotel -- the tourist desk usually has a few with a decent rate. Check out Mike Newman's Narita Layover Page for details:

http://www.mgnewman.com/narita/index.html

Also there is a day hotel in the terminal where you can buy blocks of time and sleep and take a shower.
Old May 16, 2005, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA, Delta, US Air
thanks!

Thanks for your suggestions! Narita sounds "do-able"! I just hated to have all of 5 hours in a country I've never been to and not see anything!
Old May 16, 2005, 6:41 pm

I will be in Toyko in June and I have a JR pass for one week but will be their 8 days. What way should I travel by Limo - back to the airport or to Toyko. I will be arriving at 4pm and leaving at 4pm. Also, how long is the train to Koyto from Toyko and how long is the train from Koyto to Nagoya. Thanks everyone.
Old May 16, 2005, 8:50 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: Japan Forum, Skyteam Elite Plus, BW Diamond Select, HHonors Gold, NWA, DL, NH
By Hikari Shinkansen the ride between KYOTO and Tokyo is 2hours 40minutes.

From Kyoto to Nagoya the trip is 1hour 42minutes.
Old May 16, 2005, 10:51 pm

Originally Posted by Plat Rat
I will be in Toyko in June and I have a JR pass for one week but will be their 8 days. What way should I travel by Limo - back to the airport or to Toyko. I will be arriving at 4pm and leaving at 4pm. Also, how long is the train to Koyto from Toyko and how long is the train from Koyto to Nagoya. Thanks everyone.
The airport trip in either direction really depends on where you are coming from/going to. If your hotel is one served by the Limosine Bus, that is probably your best time to use it. On the other hand, depending on where you will be staying, the JR Narita Express or the Keisei Skyliner may be the better choice.

Based on your limited information, it appears that your best bet might be to activate your rail pass for the day AFTER you arrive and just pay cash for transportation to your first stop. Your arrival at 4:00 pm means you will be getting through C&I, baggage claim, etc. around 5:00 or so. Any of the options for getting into the city will take 1:00 to 1:30 or more, leaving you checking in near 6:30 - 7:00 pm. Not much time to use the rail pass that day, except for the ride from the airport and there are inexpensive options. That leaves your pass active through the 8th day, when you don't have to be at the airport until afternoon and could still use it during the day.

All that could change, depending on where you want to end up on the first day.

JR
Old May 16, 2005, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by railroadtycoon
By Hikari Shinkansen the ride between KYOTO and Tokyo is 2hours 40minutes.

From Kyoto to Nagoya the trip is 1hour 42minutes.
Adding just a quick note: Keep in mind that the shinkansen from Tokyo to Kyoto actually delivers you to Kyoto station. The "bullet train" to Nagoya drops you at Shin Nagoya station, which is not really in Nagoya. You'll need to catch a local to Nagoya station, which will add 10 - 15 minutes. I'm unsure of the exact time off the top of my head, but a search of this forum should turn up a post - I think from RichardinSF - that has exact times.

JR
Old May 17, 2005, 6:28 am

Thanks for the info - I am staying at the Marriott near the Kinshicho station. If I wait until day 2 to activate the JR pass will I be able to do it there or will I have to go to somewhere else? I would like to go to the city on day 8 so it makes sense to take the bus/limo to the Marriott on day one - at 6-7pm would not be going to far. Also I take it that trains to everywhere must go thru Tokyo station (to Koyto/Naygoya)? Thanks. again.
Old May 17, 2005, 7:55 am

Originally Posted by Plat Rat
Thanks for the info - I am staying at the Marriott near the Kinshicho station. If I wait until day 2 to activate the JR pass will I be able to do it there or will I have to go to somewhere else? I would like to go to the city on day 8 so it makes sense to take the bus/limo to the Marriott on day one - at 6-7pm would not be going to far. Also I take it that trains to everywhere must go thru Tokyo station (to Koyto/Naygoya)? Thanks. again.
Kinshicho is a small-ish station (by Japanese standards) on the JR Keiyo spur line to Chiba, so it's unlikely that you can get your JR pass activated there. And yes, for Shinkansen trains to points west you will have to go to Tokyo station. From Kinshicho this involves heading a few stops west to Akihabara, then changing to the Yamanote line for another few stops south. Total cost probably less than Y200 so don't fret about it too much...
Old May 17, 2005, 9:57 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

The Shinkansen DOES stop at Nagoya Station.

ShinNagoya Station (which is not a JR Train Station, ShinNagoya now renamed Meitetsu Nagoya Station, it is right next door/below Nagoya station and serves Meitetsu Railways (Nagoya Railroad, a private railway company,), which operates the train to Chubu/Centrair/Central Japan International Airport (NGO) and other trains in the Nagoya area.

Also the above poster is correct that Kinshicho station doesn't have a JR Exchange office, you will probably have to go to Tokyo Station and exchange it there. Another Alternative is exchange it at Narita Airport, it doesn't have to be activated when you exchange your voucher, you can exchange it and they'll stamp it with the date you want to start using it.

Hope that helps.

Last edited by railroadtycoon; May 17, 2005 at 10:13 am
Old May 17, 2005, 1:14 pm

Originally Posted by railroadtycoon
The Shinkansen DOES stop at Nagoya Station.
Oh jeez! You are right, I was wrong. My eyes saw "Nagoya" but my completely jet-lagged brain read "Osaka."

My apologies to the OP for the incorrect information.

JR
Old May 17, 2005, 6:47 pm

Hello. Encantado.
Yes, 90 min is enough. After deplaning, go along with transit sign and security check. And go to CX gate directly.

What wi-fi means?

Narita
Old Jan 30, 2006, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/Marriott Plat/Hertz PC
Capsule hotel in/near NRT?

I may be routing through NRT on an Asian trip some. I was wondering if there are any capsulte hotels in/hear NRT that I could use. I think it would be cool to try, and nice to be able to lay horizontal for about eight hours or so before I go on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.