Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 24, 2013, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: muji
Narita International Airport (NRT) - Layover & Hotel
Where to stay overnight and what to do nearby

Narita Airport (NRT) is approximately 60 km from central Tokyo. It is blessed with numerous hotels, many with shuttles (served from the terminals' bus platforms) and often at surprisingly low rates for Japan. Some of these hotels offer free shuttles into the nearby city of Narita (Narita-shi).

If you have a few hours (say six or more) Narita offers many things to do--the Narita-san Shinsho-ji Temple and Park is beautiful and pleasant and on weekends one often sees performances of traditional arts and music. The Omotesando street leading there is lined with shops and restaurants, as well as a local museum.

See Mike Newman's Narita Layover Pages for many things one can do.

See the thorough online Japan Guide.

Read this article on CNN.

Some of the hotels at/near Narita Airport:
A - Radisson Hotel Narita https://www.radisson.com/narita-hote...-0221/jpnarita
B - Narita Gateway Hotel http://www.reservations.com/hotel/na...FQ-bfgodLi4M0A
C - Narita Excel Hotel Tokyu http://www.tokyuhotelsjapan.com/en/h...RIT/index.html
D - Narita View Hotel http://www.viewhotels.co.jp/narita/english/
E - Hilton Narita http://www3.hilton.com/en/hotels/jap...IHI/index.html
F - ANA Crowne Plaza Hotel https://www.ihg.com/crowneplaza/hote...cp/hoteldetail
G - Marroad International Hotel Narita http://www.marroad.jp/narita/eindex.htm
H - Narita Tobu Hotel http://www.tobuhotel.co.jp.e.mi.hp.transer.com/narita/
I - Hotel Nikko Narita http://www.nikko-narita.com/english/
J - Narita Airport Rest House (located inside the airport) http://www.apo-resthouse.com/english/
K - Toyoko Inn Narita Kuko http://www.toyoko-inn.com/e_hotel/00037/
L - Skycourt Narita http://www.sky-hotel.jp/narita/en/

Print Wikipost

Narita Int'l. Airport (NRT) Layover & Hotel Master Thread

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2018, 7:04 am

Programs: MileagePlus Gold, Avis PP, National EE, Lifemiles Silver, ConnectMiles Gold
Thank you all for the suggestions. Think we'll be headed to Narita town for a few hours and grab a bite. It's our first time in Japan. We'll be there in November which will be chilly, but that's fine. We're with both extreme heat and cold.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: UA, NW
November may not be that cold. The last time I was in Japan in early November, I had to go to Chichibu in the mountains west of Tokyo to see autumn leaves. It is likely that you will need nothing more than a light jacket.
Old Aug 13, 2018, 9:03 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Hi FTers,

In a couple of days, I'm going to have an eleven hour layover in Tokyo (and transfer, between HND and NRT).

Staring at my Book Off members card, I'd like to know where the largest (or thereabout) Book Off/similar store (more specifically, a 2nd-hand video game store that isn't necessarily in Akiba) would be between the two airports. A neighborhood/district that would combine that type of store with an Aeon-type supermarket would be excellent.

Appreciate your help,
BmB
Old Aug 14, 2018, 3:29 am

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Hi FTers,

In a couple of days, I'm going to have an eleven hour layover in Tokyo (and transfer, between HND and NRT).

Staring at my Book Off members card, I'd like to know where the largest (or thereabout) Book Off/similar store (more specifically, a 2nd-hand video game store that isn't necessarily in Akiba) would be between the two airports. A neighborhood/district that would combine that type of store with an Aeon-type supermarket would be excellent.

Appreciate your help,
BmB
Not exactly sure of the type of store you are referring to, but the number of all types of stores all around Shinjuku, which is a very good connection station between HND and NRT, is astounding. I'm sure if you do some research online focusing on Shinjuku, you'll find what you are looking for.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 8:25 pm
Suspended

Hey guys, I have a flight arriving in NRT from LAX on ANA in F. I have a 2 hour layover before my next flight to BK on TG in F. Is that enough time? I have only ever transferred in Haneda from ANA intl - ANA domestic, so I am not sure if I need to get my luggage again. Thank you.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA, NW
Both NH and TG are in Terminal 1, South Wing, and both are Star Alliance. If you are just transiting and not officially entering Japan, there is no need to claim your bags. All you have to do when you get off the plane (and walk for what seems like miles) is follow the sign for transit passengers and go through security.

Unless your flight is terribly late, that's all you have to do, so the length of time required at Immigration and Customs is irrelevant for you.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 8:27 am

Looking for some advice - will be transiting NRT on Delta. DTW-NRT-SIN, so international-international, in Y, on a single ticket. Arriving 2pm, departing 5:25pm (3 hour 25 minutes). I will be traveling light - at most I'll have a backpack on me since I plan on checking a small bag through to SIN. I have the same layover on the return trip.

Reading the thread, I definitely won't have enough time to go to Narita town/temple. Is there enough time to go landside briefly for a quick meal/shopping, or is it better to just stick it out airside?

My assumption is that I will be arriving/departing in T1. I also have DL SC access through AmEx Plat.
Old Sep 28, 2018, 11:39 pm

Originally Posted by tearex
Looking for some advice - will be transiting NRT on Delta. DTW-NRT-SIN, so international-international, in Y, on a single ticket. Arriving 2pm, departing 5:25pm (3 hour 25 minutes). I will be traveling light - at most I'll have a backpack on me since I plan on checking a small bag through to SIN. I have the same layover on the return trip.

Reading the thread, I definitely won't have enough time to go to Narita town/temple. Is there enough time to go landside briefly for a quick meal/shopping, or is it better to just stick it out airside?

My assumption is that I will be arriving/departing in T1. I also have DL SC access through AmEx Plat.
You'll have plenty of time. If your plane arrives on time, you should be done with immigration/customs and back up on 4F departure area by 2.20pm at best, 3pm if unlucky (although sky's the limit as far as worst-case scenario). You'll probably want to start thinking about heading to security by 4.30pm or earlier depending on your boarding time. But you'll have plenty of time.

I guess if it were me, I wouldn't bother and instead would just chill out at the lounge. Have no idea how Sky Club lounge is, but I certainly would choose to spend my couple hours at NH or even UA club. But that's because I've been through NRT's T1 mall so many times and I don't find most of the food to be any better than what I can get for free at NH lounge.
tearex likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2018, 2:26 am

Programs: Delta
You'll have plenty of time, assuming flights are on schedule of course. Food choices are better landside. Delta lounge is actually quite nice, though can get crowded. They used to have two, but now only one, located in Terminal 1, Satellite 2.
Here are restaurants and shops at Narita.
https://www.narita-airport.jp/en/shops
Here's a bit about the Delta lounge.
https://www.loungebuddy.com/NRT/delt...e-2-aB60235xQb
tearex likes this.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:27 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
I was lucky enough to score a JAL First Class award from JFK-NRT and then on to DEL in J, the following day. I arrive in Narita at 3:25pm (early Nov.) and my flight to DEL is at 11 am.

I have booked myself at Hotel MyStays Premier near Narita, and plan to take the hotel shuttle from the airport. This will be my first time out on Japanese soil since I was a boy of 9, so pretty excited.

Do I need to collect my checked bag at NRT for an overnight layover? I'd rather not, but if I have to then I will pack differently.

For those in the know, is this hotel, MyStays Premier Narita, close enough to Narita town? Apparently there is a shuttle to go to town as well, but it isn't clear from the hotel info. Are there other hotels that provide shuttle/ better access to the sights that one might enjoy for a few hours in the evening? My rate at this particular hotel is cancelable, so I can still change based on recommendations.

How soon does it get dark in Tokyo this time of the year? If I arrive at 3:25 pm, I imagine I should be at the hotel by 5. I believe things start wrapping up in town by about 6. I am not quite interested in shopping as much as in getting some sake and food.

Importantly, will I need to carry cash, or should I be ok with my credit cards-- I carry Visa and Amex? Any advice on where to change money-- airport/ hotel or in town?

I will scroll up to look at some recent tips on this thread, but in case anyone has recommendations / advice, please do share.

Many thanks!
Old Oct 23, 2018, 6:44 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by knit-in
Do I need to collect my checked bag at NRT for an overnight layover? I'd rather not, but if I have to then I will pack differently.)
You should be able to check the bag all the way through to your final destination.

For those in the know, is this hotel, MyStays Premier Narita, close enough to Narita town?
It's stuck out by the highway between the airport and the town. If you want to wander around Narita and pop out to stores and restaurants, I'd cancel and book a place in town. The Welco (formerly Mercure) has a shuttle bus, but you can use a local train (JR or Keisei) to get from the airport to any of the hotels in the center of town.

How soon does it get dark in Tokyo this time of the year?
https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/@2111684

Importantly, will I need to carry cash, or should I be ok with my credit cards-- I carry Visa and Amex?
Assuming you take the shuttle bus, you could get by without cash, but I'd prefer to carry some. I would probably withdraw 5,000 JPY from an ATM on arrival and convert it to dollars at the airside exchange counter on my way out.
Old Oct 23, 2018, 7:40 pm

For those in the know, is this hotel, MyStays Premier Narita, close enough to Narita town? Apparently there is a shuttle to go to town as well, but it isn't clear from the hotel info. Are there other hotels that provide shuttle/ better access to the sights that one might enjoy for a few hours in the evening? My rate at this particular hotel is cancelable, so I can still change based on recommendations.
If I were you, I'd stay in Ueno (although keep in mind there are no luxury accommodations in Ueno). If you want sake and food, well I'm not sure about sake, but imho Narita town is not great when it comes to food. Ueno's vibrant, got great food options everywhere in the immediate vicinity of the station, and there are many things open late.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 9:24 am

Programs: AA Gold, Alaska MVP; Free Agent Super Duper Diamond Treasure Chest ;)
Originally Posted by jib71
You should be able to check the bag all the way through to your final destination.

It's stuck out by the highway between the airport and the town. If you want to wander around Narita and pop out to stores and restaurants, I'd cancel and book a place in town. The Welco (formerly Mercure) has a shuttle bus, but you can use a local train (JR or Keisei) to get from the airport to any of the hotels in the center of town.

https://www.timeanddate.com/sun/@2111684

Assuming you take the shuttle bus, you could get by without cash, but I'd prefer to carry some. I would probably withdraw 5,000 JPY from an ATM on arrival and convert it to dollars at the airside exchange counter on my way out.
Thank you for all of the information. Particularly, on the location of the hotel. Welco's location certainly seems to be more desirable. Thanks also for the advice on the currency.

Originally Posted by evergrn
If I were you, I'd stay in Ueno (although keep in mind there are no luxury accommodations in Ueno). If you want sake and food, well I'm not sure about sake, but imho Narita town is not great when it comes to food. Ueno's vibrant, got great food options everywhere in the immediate vicinity of the station, and there are many things open late.
Thank you, I will definitely look up Ueno, although I am trying to stay close to Narita because of time constraint. This won't be my last time in Tokyo, that's for sure.
Old Oct 24, 2018, 4:50 pm

Programs: Delta
Definitely Ueno, or somewhere in Tokyo, as compared to Narita town. You don't need to get back to the airport until 2 hours ahead. Even 90 minutes ahead would work, because check-in and security are very efficient.
Old Oct 25, 2018, 12:30 am

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Okay given the short time you have I have stayed at the Tokyu Excel narita a number of times which apparently has rebranded to Mystays - I have found it a good deal AND they have an indoor heated pool which can be very pleasant (can't access if you have tattoos and must use a hair cap -which IIRC they'll lend you either lend for free or small charge - I bring my own)
I would take the free shuttle to hotel and then free shuttle from hotel to Narita town - find the walking street which is lined with food shops, bars and leads along a winding path to a temple. Stop in to the tourist place (about half way) - they have a small museum in the back (I had passed it many times before realizing it had free interesting stuff).
If you're not squemish there is a ?famous restaurant serving eel where the eels are killed out front and prepared for cooking (altho I'm not sure they'd still be doing that in late afternnon). Alternatively to cut down on transit time and with no luggage you could take shuttle (I think circle shuttle does this - check online) and then go to the hotel (check with them about shuttle time and location!)
Then I'd take the shuttle to Aeon mall (you could go back to the hotel and catch a free shuttle from there - but the timing may not work out). There is a "circle" bus which cost 1 or 200 yen. At Aeon mall there are LOTS of restaurants as well as a food court - in addition you can walk to the main road where there are a number of small restaurants including a 100 yen sushi place (pretty good and you can even order from a screen and the stuff will come out and stop in front of you!) Mostly local people (when I've been there I think I was the only non Japanese there) - it's very popular so there can be a bit of a wait but it seems to go quickly)
Hint - the mYstays is a 5 minute walk from the Hilton so you could actually take a Hilton (free) shuttle as well if the time works out okay and just walk 5 minutes.
If it's really cold you could just go to the Aeon mall and skip the walking street There's also a large Daiso store at the mall where you can see some amazing stuff for 100 yen if that interests you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.