Wiki Posts
Search

Getting from Nijo Castle in Kyoto to Kinkakuji Temple by bus

Search this Thread

Old May 2, 2024, 2:48 am
Original Poster

Getting from Nijo Castle in Kyoto to Kinkakuji Temple by bus

Spoiler

From Kyoto Station I believe I can take either bus 205 or bus 101 to Kinkakuji Temple. But I’m staying at the Crowne Plaza ANA (right across the street from Nijo Castle) and have read there may be buses to Kinkakuji from there.

Which buses, where is the stop, and what is it likely to cost? Do you need exact change? I don’t have a lot of coins—mostly paper money.

Today I visited both Fushimi Inari Shrine and the Bamboo Forest. Both were easy to get to from Kyoto Station on the JR Nara line and the JR Sagano line respectively.

I’ve been using the hotel’s free shuttle to Kyoto Station but times are limited so I’m hoping to avoid going to Kyoto Station if I don’t have to.

I was at both sites in the afternoon and while it was crowded (being Golden Week) I personally didn’t find it unbearable.

Also, can I get to the Philosopher’s Path by bus from Kinkakuji? If not, what other sites are worthwhile that I can reach from Kinkakuji?

Would also like to know if there are other interesting sites I can reach from buses at Nijo Castle or by using the subway line in that area.

UPDATE: I may also want to visit Ginkaku-ji and Chion-in.

* Evidently all buses have change machines that take 1000 yen notes, and the Philosopher’s Path connects Ginkaku-ji and another temple

Last edited by moretimeoffguy; May 2, 2024 at 4:19 am
Old May 2, 2024, 4:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Happily for very many of us, Google Maps is fabulous at showing bus routes.

moretimeoffguy likes this.
Old May 2, 2024, 5:52 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
I don’t have a lot of coins—mostly paper money.
You could get a transit card - or install the SUICA app to your phone - and save yourself the trouble of working out fares.

Also, can I get to the Philosopher’s Path by bus from Kinkakuji? If not, what other sites are worthwhile that I can reach from Kinkakuji?
You're dashing around the most popular attractions. That's often the way people approach Kyoto and it can be quite tiring, and not necessarily satisfying. FOMO (Fear Of Missing Out) leads some people to cram in every instagrammable site, at the expense of taking in the atmosphere of the city. Around Arashiyama, for example, there is so much more to see than the bamboo grove. It strikes me as a shame to just take a bamboo selfie and scoot off. YMMV.

Since you can't possibly see every site in Kyoto in such a short visit, I would recommend leaving some things until next time, and making sure that you really enjoy what you do this time. For example, if you start early at Kinkakuji (hopefully before it gets abhorrently crowded), you could move on to Ryoanji (also very popular) and then to the Myōshin-ji complex, where you will find far fewer tourists but very some lovely gardens at Myoshinji Taizo-in. All of that can be done on foot. The road leading to the main gate of Ryoanji has some cute lunch spots ...

I was at both sites in the afternoon and while it was crowded (being Golden Week) I personally didn’t find it unbearable.
Today was a working day. Tomorrow is the start of the second "Golden Weekend." You may notice a difference in the crowds.
buddyj and FlitBen like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 6:45 am

Programs: IB+ Oro / OWS
Rent a bike? Can be faster when shrine hopping
jib71, LapLap, chokeman and 1 others like this.
Old May 2, 2024, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by LapLap
Happily for very many of us, Google Maps is fabulous at showing bus routes.

yah. Apparently.
Old May 3, 2024, 2:15 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the assist. Today I hit Kinkakuji at 9 am when it opened. Walked to Ryoanji, then caught a bus to Gion. I was a bit lost and all I got to do, mostly, was walk down Pontocho-dori street—but it was atmospheric and I enjoyed it.

From there I took the Tozai line to Chion-in, and that turned out to be one of my favorite places.

Afterwards I took a bus to Ginkaku-ji; not a place I’d personally recommend. Then caught a bus to Kyoto Station and took the shuttle back to my hotel.

This concludes my tour of Kyoto. I take a morning train to Tokyo tomorrow. Thanks to all for the help!

Last edited by moretimeoffguy; May 3, 2024 at 4:54 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.