FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Getting from Nijo Castle in Kyoto to Kinkakuji Temple by bus
Old May 2, 2024, 2:48 am
moretimeoffguy

Getting from Nijo Castle in Kyoto to Kinkakuji Temple by bus

Spoiler

From Kyoto Station I believe I can take either bus 205 or bus 101 to Kinkakuji Temple. But I’m staying at the Crowne Plaza ANA (right across the street from Nijo Castle) and have read there may be buses to Kinkakuji from there.

Which buses, where is the stop, and what is it likely to cost? Do you need exact change? I don’t have a lot of coins—mostly paper money.

Today I visited both Fushimi Inari Shrine and the Bamboo Forest. Both were easy to get to from Kyoto Station on the JR Nara line and the JR Sagano line respectively.

I’ve been using the hotel’s free shuttle to Kyoto Station but times are limited so I’m hoping to avoid going to Kyoto Station if I don’t have to.

I was at both sites in the afternoon and while it was crowded (being Golden Week) I personally didn’t find it unbearable.

Also, can I get to the Philosopher’s Path by bus from Kinkakuji? If not, what other sites are worthwhile that I can reach from Kinkakuji?

Would also like to know if there are other interesting sites I can reach from buses at Nijo Castle or by using the subway line in that area.

UPDATE: I may also want to visit Ginkaku-ji and Chion-in.

* Evidently all buses have change machines that take 1000 yen notes, and the Philosopher’s Path connects Ginkaku-ji and another temple

Last edited by moretimeoffguy; May 2, 2024 at 4:19 am