Search this Thread

Old Mar 10, 2024, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Japan Trip April-May 2024

Hi,

Just booking another trip to Japan. This time it is 2.5 weeks in total ( with golden week at the end)
My proposed itinerary is

Arriving in Osaka Kansai ( early am) after a Cathay pacific flight from LHR via HKG
Express train to Kyoto
3 nights at the Doubletree Kyoto station ( opens at the end of this month so have a back up booked at the HGI Kyoto). 3 days to explore kyoto ( first time in kyoto)

1 night at the Conrad Osaka ( using HH points as it is ovet Y110k pn) to relax
Fly down to Nagaski from Osaka itami. Bus or boat to Huis Ten Bosch
2 nights at the okura hotel at HTB

4 nights at Hilton Nagaskai ( explore Nagasaki again)
Shinkansen/Kamome relay train to Hiroshima

4 nights at the Hilton Hiroshima ( will try to grab the Hiroshima Carp bear on sale at the hilton- might visit Iwakuni also this time ( have been to Miyajima twice now but might try to go again. This would be at the start of Golden week
55th birthday on the Tuesday I leave hiroshima.
Flight to Haneda and 1 night at Conrad Tokyo ( birthday relaxing night)

1 night at hilton yokohama
Afternoon flight with Cathay ( got a HND dep rather than NRT) and 2 nights at Conrad HKG ( have not been to HKG since 2019 pre covid)

Got a few ideas for Kyoto but will look at the web to get an idea of the main sites to aim for but also aim to have a wander around depending on what grabs my interest

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 10, 2024, 10:20 pm
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

You do tend to spend more time at most places than I would but I only have one specific change that I think is important. Spend 4 nights at your hotel in Kyoto and don't bother with the night in Osaka. Just not anything really worth seeing there. given you have been to Tokyo. It's easy to get to Itami airport from Kyoto as there are express busses leaving from the back of Kyoto station (the shinkansen side) every 15-20 minutes.

And you've got enough time in Kyoto to spend at least one of your days in Nara.
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 1:17 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de la Brosse a Cheveux Dore, SK *GfL, BA Gold, WY G, HH DIA, IC Plat Amb., Hertz PC
Sounds like a nice trip you have planned there!

We visited Kyoto for the first time back in October, and regretted not having enough time - it was just a one-night trip out from Osaka. I think your proposed stay makes sense, as it is a nice city.

I would disagree regarding skipping Osaka as suggested above. Personally, I prefer Osaka to Tokyo and would probably schedule more time there if possible. The Conrad is a lovely property as well.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 4:32 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,
4 nights at Hilton Nagaskai ( explore Nagasaki again)
Shinkansen/Kamome relay train to Hiroshima
TBS
It looks like your stays in Nagasaki and Sasebo may overlap with a couple of festivals. In late April (no exact date is given), there is the Nagasaki Tall Ships Festival.
https://en.japantravel.com/nagasaki/...festival/60987
And in early to late April is the Nagushiyama Azalea Festival in Sasebo.
https://en.japantravel.com/nagasaki/...festival/69752
If you run out of things to see and do in Nagasaki, I'd suggest (as I mentioned before) a trip to Hirado or Shimabara. Both cities have old-style castles, and other old sights and museums.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 10:51 am

Programs: JMB, AMC
There seems to be some disagreement here, but myself I would pick either Kyoto or Osaka and get a hotel for 4 nights in one or the other instead of splitting it. The two cities are close enough that you can take an early morning Shinkansen between them and return on a late night one to your hotel.
Although it sounds like OP is just looking to relax in Osaka for a night so I suppose the move between hotels works out better for them.

One thing I have to add about Kyoto, is there's a K'loop sightseeing bus that stops at the major attractions but I found that it either gives you too little time at some or too much time at others between buses and did not feel like it was worth taking it unless you find a place on the line that you can't get to otherwise. I was able to get around much better with the city buses, trains, subway and a little walking.
May be a little overdone, but I would hit up the major places like Arashiyama, Nijo castle, the major temples and Fushimi Inari shrine. The sake distillery tours are nice as well.

Iwakuni was nice and easy to get around with attractions in Kikko park in the Kintaikyo and Iwakuni castle area,
I went to the Hirasei for lunch which served iwakuni sushi and set meals with various renkon dishes.

Also early happy birthday.
Old Mar 11, 2024, 11:55 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
We took the bus direct from the airport to the resort -- it makes a few stops but was convenient and very scenic - takes about 90 minutes. If the weather is nice the sit on the right (IIRC) side of the bus for great views on the way to the resort... ETA it seems that the buses may go either way around the bay so if views matter to you (they are nice) I would ask which side -- or switch once on board if not too full...

My tip -- definitely try the Champon!

Last edited by bmwe92fan; Mar 11, 2024 at 12:01 pm
Old Mar 11, 2024, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hi

Thanks for all the advice so far.
Definitely a lot to do in Kyoto ( probably easy to try to do too much) even before considering Nara and Himeji etc
Have not definitely decided on 3 nights Kyoto/ 1 night in Conrad Osaka ( but have booked the Conrad and can cancel at t-24)

Shimabara looks interesting , thanks Nagasaki Joe. ( and will keep an eye out for the tall ships festival- a quick google search was not coming up with exact dates earlier today

Spent 2 full days in Nagasaki last May and saw the major sites although it was a bit rushed at times and did not get into the western style houses around dutch slope and the dejima area ( but did like the seaside park) or the Oura church ( arrived at the same time as lots of cruise ship pax so just went into the Glover garden)
I am planning on coming back to Osaka in May 2025 ( for the Expo ) so would plan on visiting Osaka/Kyoto and Nara in more detail then.

Regards

TBS
Old Mar 11, 2024, 2:52 pm

I'd personally spend two nights at Conrad Tokyo instead of one night there and one night at Hilton Yokohama. You're already switching hotels a lot.
Old Mar 12, 2024, 12:54 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
I spend one week in Kyoto and I did not visit everything there is (although I did do a lot already), I would also not split with Osaka and just stay in Kyoto and not go to Nara who deserves two days in its own right. I guess you are aware Kyoto is suffering from overtourism. If you do not go to several major attractions either at dawn or dusk, it will be very crowded. I would keep that into account.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 1:04 am

Not sure if you have visited the Sanin region, but Izumo Taisha, Matsue Castle. Iwami Silver Mines, Adachi Museum are worth a visit. Bus Center about a 15-20 minute walk from Hiroshima Hilton.
This 500 yen bus might still be running then. It's a steal at that price. Hiroshima-Matsue 500 yen Bus
Onomichi is also a great little town to explore not far from Hiroshima City.

Last edited by hijiji; Mar 13, 2024 at 1:16 am
Old Mar 13, 2024, 5:16 am

Originally Posted by hijiji
Not sure if you have visited the Sanin region, but Izumo Taisha, Matsue Castle. Iwami Silver Mines, Adachi Museum are worth a visit. Bus Center about a 15-20 minute walk from Hiroshima Hilton.
This 500 yen bus might still be running then. It's a steal at that price. Hiroshima-Matsue 500 yen Bus
Onomichi is also a great little town to explore not far from Hiroshima City.
I'd also throw in Hagi and Tsuwano.
hijiji likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2024, 10:25 am

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold

3 nights at the Doubletree Kyoto station ( opens at the end of this month so have a back up booked at the HGI Kyoto). 3 days to explore kyoto ( first time in kyoto)
Excellent choice of location (Kyoto Station proximity). I’d consider using a day pass (covering metro train, buses). All iconic sights in Kyoto will take more than the time you have. I’m sure you will return. While there, I concur with up-post, spend a day trip to Nara & add Inari (both are easy access by train).
BTW, if you like ramen, try the Ramen Alley on 11th F above Granvia Hotel building (in the Kyoto Station).

Flight to Haneda and 1 night at Conrad Tokyo ( birthday relaxing night)
Have you considered taking the Nozomi from Hiroshima to Shinagawa Station, then transfer to Yokosuka Line local for Shimbashi Station (maybe a 6 minute ride, non-stop).
Happy birthday!

1 night at hilton yokohama
Afternoon flight with Cathay ( got a HND dep rather than NRT) and 2 nights at Conrad HKG ( have not been to HKG since 2019 pre covid)
From Yokohama Station, you have a choice of train or airport bus to HND.
BTW, please report back if the Conrad HK still serves English style afternoon tea in the lobby.

Looks like an awesome trip!
Old Mar 14, 2024, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Hi,

Thanks for all the advice. Much appreciated.

I have heard about the overtourism in kyoto ( and avoiding golden week in kyoto)

So many places to see , so little time
I have booked a 2nd night at the Conrad Tokyo and cancelling the 1 night stay at Hilton yokohama

on my previous visits to Hiroshima I have flown back to tokyo ( I spent an hour at the sankeien garden beside the airport after check in and it was beautiful ( being almost the only person in the park) but will consider the shinkansen ( although it is Tuesday of golden week, If i book in advance it should be ok ( and probably send my large suitcase in advance to tokyo by the luggage delivery service)

Regards

TBS
od_sf likes this.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 11:33 am

Programs: UA GM
Your travel between Osaka and Kyoto options by JR are:
Time required: 0:28 Price:] 3,080 YEN by shinkansen, 10 min transfer at Shin Osaka Station to local train
Time required: 0:27 Price: 1,870 YEN by Limited Express Thunderbird
Time required: 0:29 Price: 580 YEN by Special Rapid Service

Those rapid trains are frequent. Just show up at Kyoto Station and get on the next train and get off at Osaka Station a half hour later.

Hilton Osaka is 2-min walk from JR Osaka Station. The Conrad is a bit over a mile so an inexpensive taxi trip or easy walk.

There is a Hankyu Railway train between Osaka and Kyoto that might be more convenient than JR to some spots in Kyoto.
Old Mar 19, 2024, 8:43 pm

Programs: BA Gold, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by mrwunrfl
Your travel between Osaka and Kyoto options by JR are:
Time required: 0:28 Price:] 3,080 YEN by shinkansen, 10 min transfer at Shin Osaka Station to local train
Time required: 0:27 Price: 1,870 YEN by Limited Express Thunderbird
Time required: 0:29 Price: 580 YEN by Special Rapid Service

Those rapid trains are frequent. Just show up at Kyoto Station and get on the next train and get off at Osaka Station a half hour later.

Hilton Osaka is 2-min walk from JR Osaka Station. The Conrad is a bit over a mile so an inexpensive taxi trip or easy walk.

There is a Hankyu Railway train between Osaka and Kyoto that might be more convenient than JR to some spots in Kyoto.
Just a heads up with my limited experience on the Rapid, (presumeably due to the price) it gets busy. On my journey from Osaka to Kyoto I had to stand the entire time. If you value having a 'guaranteed' seat and don't mind paying 4x the fare you could consider the Limited Express.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.