Reload this Page >

Thoughts on 2 week itinerary for a 1st timer to Japan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thoughts on 2 week itinerary for a 1st timer to Japan

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2024, 12:54 pm

Thank you for this! We changed our minds based on this thread. Cheers!
Old Jan 10, 2024, 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by GodAtum
I get very nervous not staying near the airport before a flight. I live in London and still stay overnight at a Heathrow airport hotel just in case there's transport issues. Travelling half-way across Japan doesn't seem like a good idea, even though their trains are extremely reliable?
The trains are very reliable, however it is also accurate there is marginally more risk with a same-day departure versus leaving the day before as is the case with all repositions (person on the tracks, earthquake requiring several hours for track inspections, etc.). I am also a recent London resident and would never have stayed at an airport the night before - if that is your "level of caution", definitely head back to Tokyo a day early.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 4:56 pm

I get very nervous not staying near the airport before a flight. I live in London and still stay overnight at a Heathrow airport hotel just in case there's transport issues. Travelling half-way across Japan doesn't seem like a good idea, even though their trains are extremely reliable?
HND shouldn't be an issue but both times I've flown home to Seattle out of NRT the NEX has been delayed. Once because of snow, so not an issue, but last Oct a car got hit on the tracks. Delayed us an hour, so double the time it takes, and I'm fairly certain people on the train missed flights. If leave plenty of time like we did won't be an issue.
We also got delayed going to Osaka to Kyoto on the Thunderbird, again doubled the time it should take, and the regional line out of Osaka was delayed 30 min earlier that day. Maybe I'm just unlucky.
I would highly recommend Nara, more for Isuien Garden which was the most beautiful one we saw in 19 days than the deer.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 5:08 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Southwest, HHonors, National
Looking at Day 8, you have both Fushimi Inari and Kiyomizu Dera on the same day. Unless you're ok with going to two overly crowded attractions on the same day, I'd move Kiyomizu Dera to another day. If you're set on going there, arrive first thing in the morning.
jib71 and Topcare like this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 5:56 pm

Removed duplication
Old Jan 10, 2024, 5:56 pm

Removed duplication
Old Jan 10, 2024, 5:57 pm

Originally Posted by Gradfly
Looking at Day 8, you have both Fushimi Inari and Kiyomizu Dera on the same day. Unless you're ok with going to two overly crowded attractions on the same day, I'd move Kiyomizu Dera to another day. If you're set on going there, arrive first thing in the morning.
Google Maps has both a real time load and historical crowd tracker (best seen on desktop browser) I'm a little surprised Friday mid-morning and Sundays are actually lower volume compared to very busy Mondays (seriously, did New Year day and Coming of age crowds skew their data?)

I didn't know Kyoto has their own crowd prediction calendar and real time streaming https://global.kyoto.travel/en/comfort/ a la Disney crowd prediction calendars. Click on a location to see a hour x day chart. Happened to see it in a comment on Kyoto with less crowds from King Kogi/Martina https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...rUxNC2C5l1HSIj

Edit: to stop linkage for embedding Google Map with expired token.
LapLap likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by Gradfly
I would reorder this day as follows: do Kiyomizudera first thing in the morning, as early as possible (this temple and the shopping streets as you come down are lovely at dawn, and a complete mess after 9am or thereabouts), then Uji (consider booking a tea ceremony experience in Uji instead of Gion to reduce back and forth), then Fushimi Inari. In June the daylight hours are very long and since OP is willing to hike to the top, Fushimi Inari isn't too bad at most times of the day.
Topcare likes this.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 3:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Originally Posted by Agneisse
I would reorder this day as follows: do Kiyomizudera first thing in the morning, as early as possible (this temple and the shopping streets as you come down are lovely at dawn, and a complete mess after 9am or thereabouts), then Uji (consider booking a tea ceremony experience in Uji instead of Gion to reduce back and forth), then Fushimi Inari. In June the daylight hours are very long and since OP is willing to hike to the top, Fushimi Inari isn't too bad at most times of the day.
Thanks I've done what you suggested. After Kiyomizudera, there's a tea ceremony nearby so I'll do that instead, then go to Fushimi Inari.
Old Jan 11, 2024, 4:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks I've done what you suggested. After Kiyomizudera, there's a tea ceremony nearby so I'll do that instead, then go to Fushimi Inari.
Please consider getting an introduction to a tea ceremony before your visit so that you can take in more of the details when you are in Kyoto.

The British Museum has its own tea room and the Urasenke school gives regular demonstrations.
https://www.britishmuseum.org/events/way-tea
od_sf likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
For Day 9, do you think it's best to go to Yasaka Shrine first thing in the morning (6am) or Nanzen-Ji Temple (8:40am)?
Old Jan 12, 2024, 1:45 pm

For Day 9, do you think it's best to go to Yasaka Shrine first thing in the morning (6am) or Nanzen-Ji Temple (8:40am)?
Yasaka Shrine is 24/7 so you can visit whenever. So the question is really whether you want to start your day at 6am or 8:40am?

Also on day 9, I think Philosophers Path is only worth the status of an "attraction" (vs simply being the road that happens to be the most efficient path between other things you actually want to see) during cherry blossoms and very arguably foliage season, unless you're a big fan of the two philosophers in question.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 8:43 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
While it's not as spectacular as, say, the bamboo grove at Arashiyama, I think the Philosophers' Path can be quite lovely if it's not too crowded. I don't see a problem with listing it as an attraction in and of itself. Some of us like nothing better than walking along a nice path.
LapLap likes this.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 9:08 pm

[QUOTE=jib71;35904372]While it's not as spectacular as, say, the bamboo grove at Arashiyama, [/QQUOTE] i would say spectacular is in the eye of the beholder. I call it the most underwhelming item in all the top lists for kyoto.
Old Jan 12, 2024, 10:46 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by Topcare
i would say spectacular is in the eye of the beholder. I call it the most underwhelming item in all the top lists for kyoto.
Of course, any opinion is subjective, but I think most people would consider Arashiyama to be a more visually dramatic spectacle than the Philosophers' Walk. Are you saying that you disagree?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.