Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Thoughts on 2 week itinerary for a 1st timer to Japan

Thoughts on 2 week itinerary for a 1st timer to Japan

Old Jan 9, 2024, 9:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
I've written up some of my priorities here, excluding food and tours.
Old Jan 9, 2024, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by GodAtum
I've written up some of my priorities here, excluding food and tours.
I notice that kakigori is on your list. There is a very famous place called Kooriya Peace in Kichijoji. It featured in the TV series Kantaro The Sweet Toothed Salaryman.
I would ask your concierge to check the current details but it used to be that you could arrive early (so go there before heading to the Ghibli Museum) and put your name on a next to a time on a sign at the door which would secure you a reservation.
https://metropolisjapan.com/kooriya-peace/
Old Jan 9, 2024, 9:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Originally Posted by LapLap
I notice that kakigori is on your list. There is a very famous place called Kooriya Peace in Kichijoji. It featured in the TV series Kantaro The Sweet Toothed Salaryman.
I would ask your concierge to check the current details but it used to be that you could arrive early (so go there before heading to the Ghibli Museum) and put your name on a next to a time on a sign at the door which would secure you a reservation.
https://metropolisjapan.com/kooriya-peace/
Maybe after lunch at Ramen Kaijin, I could have dessert there?
Old Jan 9, 2024, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Maybe after lunch at Ramen Kaijin, I could have dessert there?
Thatís the idea. Alternatively, there is also this kakigori cafe in Kichijoji since your list suggests you are OK with alcohol
https://www.timeout.com/tokyo/restaurants/cafe-lumiere

ó
Just seen the bit about canned cake. Itís hideously overpriced and bound to be disappointing.
The Capitol Hotel is a 30 minute walk from The New Otani Hotel where you can find the most famous shortcakes in Japan.
https://www.newotani.co.jp/checkin/en/20200304/content05.html
Overpriced? Perhaps, but less likely to be disappointing.
GodAtum likes this.

Last edited by LapLap; Jan 9, 2024 at 9:58 am
Old Jan 9, 2024, 12:46 pm
Original Poster

Any comments on the Kyoto/Osaka portion please? Map here. Thank you

Last edited by GodAtum; Jan 9, 2024 at 3:06 pm
Old Jan 9, 2024, 9:43 pm

If you decide to go to Uji then there are several tea houses there which you may want to visit. They offer tea flavored pastries, noodles, parfaits in addition to brewed tea.
https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3977.html
https://thetravellingsquid.com/2018/...-visit-in-uji/

Uji is a bit out of the way and there are tea cafes in Kyoto if you want to save transit time https://hojicha.co/blogs/travel/best...ps-kyoto-japan. There weren't a lot of foreigners in Uji when I visited years ago but there were a lot of school trip students at Byodoin Temple since it is featured on the current 10,000 yen note. The new 10,000 yen note will enter circulation in July https://english.kyodonews.net/news/2...-20-years.html

If you are new to Japanese teas and wagashi:
Wagashi sweets are also traditionally consumed alongside tea https://matcha-jp.com/en/12419 Don't be too surprised if some visually stunning creation's texture or taste is not to your preference. Same with ceremonial matcha which can be bitter. Traditional Japanese tea doesn't have milk or cream added to it like British or Indian tea. It's ok, many Japanese people prefer to consume the Westernized matcha lattes and matcha flavored pastries, cakes, and ice cream/soft serve parfaits at more modern style cafes. You will be offered the traditional styles during a tea ceremony.

Japanese green teas have a shelf life so check the best by dates. It can be a bit of a waste of money if you over buy (especially if you buy first harvest top grade as it will no longer be as fresh by the time you work through your tea haul) https://marche-otoriyose-net.transla..._x_tr_pto=wapp and I'm sure your tea tour guide can provide more storage tips or guidance if you want to add milk.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 3:35 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
Iíve had a Quick Look again at your proposed itinerary.

I would maybe look at combining the 2 Tokyo spells into 1 longer one at the beginning of the trip. Rather than spend an extra night in Tokyo to travel to Kyoto the next morning, I would look at heading to Kyoto the night before after a full day of exploring in Tokyo. That way you get more time in Kyoto on your first day there.

I would also look at travelling directly from Osaka to Haneda on the day you are leaving if you extend the amount of time in Tokyo at the beginning. This could either be via the Shinkansen or a flight. As you are travelling BA, take a JAL flight from ITM. Even if it is a separate booking, there is a lot of anecdotal evidence of JAL through checking bags to final destination on the forum.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 4:00 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by McG
Otemachi station is the nearest to Hoshinoya Tokyo according to Google Maps.

For arrivals day:

After clearing customs and immigration at Haneda, I would look into using a same day Takkyubin service to ship your luggage to your hotel. Otherwise head to the hotel to leave your luggage with them as I'm not sure if the Hoshinoya offer early check in or if they are like most hotels and insist on 3pm onwards.
Rather than then heading across Tokyo to Shibuya for afternoon tea followed by a further 30-40 minute journey to the cat bar for drinks, I would venture out to some of the areas close to the hotel - the Imperial Palace, Tokyo Station, Ginza, Yurakucho and Shimbashi. That way when tiredness hits you are relatively close to the hotel and it also lets you get acclimatised to an unfamiliar city. It would also maybe allow you to re-jig your itinerary to provide more time on other days to explore other areas.
Looking at the Yamato website, they don'y seem to have a counter in Haneda?
Old Jan 10, 2024, 7:53 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
Looking at the Yamato website, they don'y seem to have a counter in Haneda?
They have a counter on the 2nd floor arrivals area at Haneda. Their logo is a black cat on a yellow background.

https://tokyo-haneda.com/en/service/...=1703575736905

You can also use the Takkyubin services to send your luggage between hotels - that is usually a next day service so send it the day before you check in. Itís relatively cheap - I think I was about £15 to send suitcase from Tokyo to Nagoya. The main benefit of Takkyubin is it frees you up from having to cart your luggage about with you when transiting between cities.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 8:06 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
It seems you did not really read what we wrote in the topic on the exact same subject you posted 6 months ago.

Japan solo first timer itinerary

Originally Posted by fransknorge
I agree most of the sentiments there, reading that itinerary makes me tired and want to have another vacations. It is too much, too contrived and any perturbations (weather, traffic, a missed bus, feet beaten, need for a coffee, a slightly longer lunch) will wreak havoc on it. Plus it removes spontaneity and honestly, fun. It seems more a tick box exercise (and I have been guilty of this too) rather than anything else. I will be in Japan same times as you (first two weeks of October), albeit it will be my third visit and I only plan a couple of museums I want to see and some general neighbourhood and that is it, despite visiting two cities I have never visited before.
Your itinerary is too busy, with no sense of reality and transportation time and places.
Morkai likes this.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 9:21 am

Hoshinoya switch?

I'm potentially hours away from booking my family at the Hoshinoya Tokyo and just saw your post from yesterday. Any insight into why you were convinced to change hotels for your Tokyo stay? I looked at the post you linked to but it doesn't mention the Hoshinoya specfically. Any quick insights before I commit $7k to this property? Much appreciated!
Old Jan 10, 2024, 9:52 am

Originally Posted by freecia
There weren't a lot of foreigners in Uji when I visited years ago but there were a lot of school trip students at Byodoin Temple since it is featured on the current 10,000 yen note.
I was there a few weeks ago (early December) and can confirm that throngs of school kids are still visiting Byodo-In. A beautiful temple, but not exactly a peaceful visit.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 9:54 am

Originally Posted by shanlow101
I'm potentially hours away from booking my family at the Hoshinoya Tokyo and just saw your post from yesterday. Any insight into why you were convinced to change hotels for your Tokyo stay? I looked at the post you linked to but it doesn't mention the Hoshinoya specfically. Any quick insights before I commit $7k to this property? Much appreciated!
If you read this thread (starting around post #900) people have written at length about the hotel's drawbacks.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 10:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by od_sf
If you read this thread (starting around post #900) people have written at length about the hotel's drawbacks.
Ah, so that is the new companion thread to this one here. I hadnít understood that concierge services in luxury hotels are now no different (and possibly less accommodating) than in the reasonably priced places I go to.

[MENTION=271796]GodAtum[/MENTION], I noted your response to [MENTION=771979]Smiley90[/MENTION] Ďs opinion that spending 6 nights in Tokyo is too long at any property.
Iíve seen your priorities, it is an opinion, not advice, and it absolutely does NOT apply to you.
Old Jan 10, 2024, 11:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by McG
Iíve had a Quick Look again at your proposed itinerary.

I would maybe look at combining the 2 Tokyo spells into 1 longer one at the beginning of the trip. Rather than spend an extra night in Tokyo to travel to Kyoto the next morning, I would look at heading to Kyoto the night before after a full day of exploring in Tokyo. That way you get more time in Kyoto on your first day there.

I would also look at travelling directly from Osaka to Haneda on the day you are leaving if you extend the amount of time in Tokyo at the beginning. This could either be via the Shinkansen or a flight. As you are travelling BA, take a JAL flight from ITM. Even if it is a separate booking, there is a lot of anecdotal evidence of JAL through checking bags to final destination on the forum.
I get very nervous not staying near the airport before a flight. I live in London and still stay overnight at a Heathrow airport hotel just in case there's transport issues. Travelling half-way across Japan doesn't seem like a good idea, even though their trains are extremely reliable?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.