Wiki Posts
Search

You can now add ICOCA to Apple Pay

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2023, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by seigex
You can just keep adding more they don't grey the option out when you add one. Hit the + add a SUICA, load some money, go back to the wallet, hit the + add a SUICA load some money. Do that 7 times and you'll have 7 digital SUICA cards in your wallet.
So 7 is the confirmed limit for Suica, Pasmo, and Icoca combined?
Old Jul 12, 2023, 8:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by lsquare
So 7 is the confirmed limit for Suica, Pasmo, and Icoca combined?
no, that's just how many i filled up, no clue what the limit is.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 9:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by seigex
no, that's just how many i filled up, no clue what the limit is.
If 20 is possible and the USD-JPY rate is favorable, why wouldn't anyone do it and load it to the max?
Old Jul 12, 2023, 10:06 pm

If 20 is possible and the USD-JPY rate is favorable, why wouldn't anyone do it and load it to the max?
Let us know how it goes.

Why would someone do that if they’re only planning to go to Japan for less than a week? Plenty of folks would prefer to use a credit card with a particular bonus for certain spend at the same exchange rate during their visit. Others might be expecting the rate to get even better so speculatively loading cards might not always make sense. Other people don’t feel comfortable with digital cards, thinking they’ll lose them somehow etc. Not everywhere accepts this payment type anyway.
Especially now that travel-bonus-visas aren’t an option it becomes less attractive…
Old Jul 12, 2023, 10:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
I also picked up $5000 in yen on Transferwise, unfortunately I don't have unlimited money. It's risky to use a highly volatile currency as a long-term investment, I travel to Japan enough to make dropping $6k worth it for me.
pesos and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pesos
Let us know how it goes.

Why would someone do that if they’re only planning to go to Japan for less than a week? Plenty of folks would prefer to use a credit card with a particular bonus for certain spend at the same exchange rate during their visit. Others might be expecting the rate to get even better so speculatively loading cards might not always make sense. Other people don’t feel comfortable with digital cards, thinking they’ll lose them somehow etc. Not everywhere accepts this payment type anyway.
Especially now that travel-bonus-visas aren’t an option it becomes less attractive…
Well, my comment was more for people living in Japan and or traveling there a lot. CSR is why I would do it if it was still possible.
seigex likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 10:54 pm

Well, my comment was more for people living in Japan and or traveling there a lot. CSR is why I would do it if it was still possible.
Got it. Yeah similar thinking I suppose - don’t necessarily want to tie up too much cash in a volatile currency that could go even more out of whack if some are to be believed. But I do do a few grand here and there.
seigex likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Got it. Yeah similar thinking I suppose - don’t necessarily want to tie up too much cash in a volatile currency that could go even more out of whack if some are to be believed. But I do do a few grand here and there.
I'm not suggesting putting in six figures USD, but it would be tempting to put in a decent amount if I earn 3x UR everywhere that accepts Suica. I made that comment simply because we have discussed the topic and you would have a rough idea of what my goals are.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 11:15 pm

I'm not suggesting putting in six figures USD, but it would be tempting to put in a decent amount if I earn 3x UR everywhere that accepts Suica. I made that comment simply because we have discussed the topic and you would have a rough idea of what my goals are.
Yep back when it first hit the high 140s last year I loaded up 7 or 8 cards for sure, plus bought thousands in shimano bike gear lol
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 6:39 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
So previously couldn’t add funds to an ICOCA card using a US Visa card. Just wanted to show my daughter the issue we have been having and lo and behold it added funds and now I have a loaded ICOCA in my Apple Wallet.

just had my wife add one to her Apple Wallet and it also worked.

Hoping we can reload for our trip in September.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 6:41 am

just tried with my CSR, no dice - usual error
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 6:43 am

as usual updates are here - looks like a few select cards may be working

https://atadistance.net/2017/10/24/t...ple-pay-suica/
Old Jul 22, 2023, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jtm1631
So previously couldn’t add funds to an ICOCA card using a US Visa card. Just wanted to show my daughter the issue we have been having and lo and behold it added funds and now I have a loaded ICOCA in my Apple Wallet.

just had my wife add one to her Apple Wallet and it also worked.

Hoping we can reload for our trip in September.
Which card exactly?

just tried with my CSR, no dice - usual error
Doh! ​​​​​​​
Old Jul 22, 2023, 9:01 am

Programs: AA, Hyatt
Which card exactly?

Doh! ​​​
Chase Visa

yep. Tried to load more funds and got the usual error.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.