Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

JAL vs ANA B787 Business Class 2023 Trans Pacific (ex SFO to NRT or HND)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2023, 1:24 pm
Original Poster

Quick question. Planning a trip to Japan and India for January 2024. United operates flights, but their flights are pricing out at a considerably higher price. All Japanese flights from SFO to either NRT or HND are on 787s. ANA's flights are coming in at about $300 more per ticket. From my understanding, ANA offers staggered seats while JAL offers a Sky Suite. I presume that ANA will not operate the 773, which features the Room, in winter 2024. Based only on the hard and soft product, which carrier would you choose? I am a Mileage Plus member, but I'm really more interested in the quality of seat comfort and service.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 10:22 pm

They really aren’t significantly different. Everyone has their favorite soft product and for me it’s ANA, but JAL is good too. You can’t go wrong with either. If JAL has the apex suite hard product then I prefer that to ANA’s staggered business.
seigex, roberto99 and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 4:20 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
In my opinion JAL Apex and ANA Staggered are both excellent products. You really can't go wrong either way. If traveling with a companion, then JAL is better because you can lower the divider between seats and converse easily. The ANA Staggered seats make communication with a companion difficult.
joejones likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 4:23 am

Yes and if you’re over 190cm like me you will likely much prefer the apex.
Old Jul 12, 2023, 10:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
For F I would take ANA over JAL any day of the week, especially with The SUITE. I would still take The ROOM (ANA J) over JAL J all other things equal, otherwise I would take whichever is cheaper/less points/better time.
roberto99 likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 6:43 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Be aware that ANA's late night SFO-HND flight has very minimal service compared to the daytime options. No lounge available at SFO when it departs (at least last time I tried it a few months ago) and the in-flight meal is extremely pathetic. It can be nice for saving time, but is definitely not a great passenger experience.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by joejones
Be aware that ANA's late night SFO-HND flight has very minimal service compared to the daytime options. No lounge available at SFO when it departs (at least last time I tried it a few months ago) and the in-flight meal is extremely pathetic. It can be nice for saving time, but is definitely not a great passenger experience.
Oh great, here we go again.
Fluff Ermine likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 1:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by joejones
No Polaris lounge?
Old Jul 22, 2023, 1:12 am

Originally Posted by lsquare
No Polaris lounge?
closes a few hours before departure
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 22, 2023, 6:30 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
There is an Asian take-out restaurant in the concourse and ANA gives out meal vouchers to lounge-eligible pax, but the restaurant closes at midnight, an hour or so before boarding time (departure is at 1:45 am). Other shops in the terminal close at 11 pm, and United's lounges all close at 10:30. So you will end up spending a good hour in a desolate terminal with access to nothing but restrooms and vending machines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.