Search

You can now add ICOCA to Apple Pay

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29, 2023, 11:59 pm

whichever you have set as your express transit card
lsquare and miuk like this.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 9:29 pm

Originally Posted by oldfolky
See also the loyalty scheme I posted above. I presume JRWest make money from transaction fees for payments using the card so encourage you to use it for more than just transit. If it’s like JREPoints you only get points for purchases in JREast stations, JREast tickets etc.
For JRE points, you need to present the JRE card/barcode to earn points. But it seems that you get Wester Points simply by paying ICOCA at some limited stores: https://www.jr-odekake.net/icoca/guide/money/store.html

Unrelated to Wester Points, I’m having trouble creating a new ICOCA card in Apple Pay using Ink Preferred. Getting the same “Payment Incomplete” error as when topping up a Suica with an oversea Visa.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
For JRE points, you need to present the JRE card/barcode to earn points. But it seems that you get Wester Points simply by paying ICOCA at some limited stores: https://www.jr-odekake.net/icoca/guide/money/store.html

Unrelated to Wester Points, I’m having trouble creating a new ICOCA card in Apple Pay using Ink Preferred. Getting the same “Payment Incomplete” error as when topping up a Suica with an oversea Visa.
Pretty sure my icoca errored with my csr on the first try, but then went through. There are also random maintenance windows that pop up now and then and cause the same issue for a short while.
ithinkurdumb likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by pesos
Pretty sure my icoca errored with my csr on the first try, but then went through. There are also random maintenance windows that pop up now and then and cause the same issue for a short while.
Thanks, I guess I'll keep trying then. Did you transfer a physical card or issue a new card? OR did you use the ICOCA app?
Old Jul 3, 2023, 10:08 pm

Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
Thanks, I guess I'll keep trying then. Did you transfer a physical card or issue a new card? OR did you use the ICOCA app?
New card in Wallet - no icoca app.
ithinkurdumb likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 10:10 pm

I just tried adding ¥500 to mine and both csr and ink biz are erroring at the moment.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 11:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
I just tried adding ¥500 to mine and both csr and ink biz are erroring at the moment.
Damn it. I hope this is just temporary.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 11:08 pm

I see atadistance has updated their status page to include icoca.
https://atadistance.net/all-about-apple-pay-suica-recharge/
Hope it’s not really a permanent issue but I guess it wouldn’t surprise me if it were. Should have put more than I did that one time it worked 😂
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 7:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I see atadistance has updated their status page to include icoca.
https://atadistance.net/all-about-ap...uica-recharge/
Hope it’s not really a permanent issue but I guess it wouldn’t surprise me if it were. Should have put more than I did that one time it worked 😂
You spoke too soon. I hope it's not permanent either. I should have done this myself before Visas are blocked again.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 12:58 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by LCUF
but for those wanting to have more than 20k man (or 40k man between Suica/PASMO) at any given time, then you now have another choice, or if you prefer the design of ICOCA to Sucia/PASMO.
Is the limit 10 cards per type? I have 7 on my phone now, didn't know there was an upper limit.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seigex
Is the limit 10 cards per type? I have 7 on my phone now, didn't know there was an upper limit.
Sorry my message was assuming one would only want 1 card each between Suica/PASMO/ICOCA with each card having 20k yen on them. I guess if you create/add more IC cards then you can definitely increase the max yen you have in your Apple Pay Wallet. AFAIK the current limit on newer iPhones is 16 credit/debit cards (not sure if IC cards count toward that limit).

I don't know if anyone tried to create/add more IC cards on iPhone than they really need though. It's an interesting exercise for those wanting to hold some more yen at the current exchange rate for use. It would be a pain to spend them all though?
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 10:16 pm

Sorry my message was assuming one would only want 1 card each between Suica/PASMO/ICOCA with each card having 20k yen on them. I guess if you create/add more IC cards then you can definitely increase the max yen you have in your Apple Pay Wallet. AFAIK the current limit on newer iPhones is 16 credit/debit cards (not sure if IC cards count toward that limit).

I don't know if anyone tried to create/add more IC cards on iPhone than they really need though. It's an interesting exercise for those wanting to hold some more yen at the current exchange rate for use. It would be a pain to spend them all though?
lots of us who live here but get paid in usd have with the yen being so imbalanced. at one point I had 8 or 9 at least, maybe more
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 10:37 pm

the 20k man through me off, which I guess would technically be 200,000,000 yen, i just read it as 20 man. Makes more sense now. That said, I fill up as many SUICA as I can when yen is cheap for future trips. When it was at 150 yen/usd, I did 7, which came out to $933 for 140,000 yen.. was a great deal.
pesos and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 11, 2023, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hey guys, I'm confused. How do you get 7 if it's one Suica, Pasmo, and Icoca?
Old Jul 11, 2023, 11:11 pm

Originally Posted by lsquare
Hey guys, I'm confused. How do you get 7 if it's one Suica, Pasmo, and Icoca?
You can just keep adding more they don't grey the option out when you add one. Hit the + add a SUICA, load some money, go back to the wallet, hit the + add a SUICA load some money. Do that 7 times and you'll have 7 digital SUICA cards in your wallet.
lsquare likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.