Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Two things I learned in Japan today

Search this Thread

Old Jun 28, 2023, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Most everything has a purpose? Wrapping a croissant in three bags has a purpose? Having to tell a computer screen I'm done paying with cash has a purpose? Preventing resident foreigners from entering the country during a pandemic while allowing native Japanese to enter has a purpose?

Your continued defense of Japanese customs is indefensible, particularly as a foreigner ... 'tis why I only like seeing the country from a tourist's lens these days. Although I did live in Japan, it was many years ago.
I've waited a while to respond -- I'm really disappointed at your responses... Yes I'm Gaijin -- but my life and family are in Japan -- and I accept that things in Japan are not the same as in the West.... Yes packaging is important in Japan -- but that's nothing new.... After COVID most convenience stores installed these screens so that you wouldn't have to speak (and spread viruses) -- like it or not it's logical.... And please explain to me how the US was any different than the Japan during COVID? I applied five times for a spouse visa and was accepted 5 times -- I wonder if it is the same for US from Japan? Regardless -- you just seem to have a grudge -- I hope it goes away some day...
mjm, uanj, lsquare and 2 others like this.
Old Jun 28, 2023, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I've waited a while to respond -- I'm really disappointed at your responses... Yes I'm Gaijin -- but my life and family are in Japan -- and I accept that things in Japan are not the same as in the West.... Yes packaging is important in Japan -- but that's nothing new.... After COVID most convenience stores installed these screens so that you wouldn't have to speak (and spread viruses) -- like it or not it's logical.... And please explain to me how the US was any different than the Japan during COVID? I applied five times for a spouse visa and was accepted 5 times -- I wonder if it is the same for US from Japan? Regardless -- you just seem to have a grudge -- I hope it goes away some day...
Speaking about grudges, did you not see my UA thread? The funny thing is that I don't even know any one of them. It's the internet. Gotta learn to deal with it.
bmwe92fan and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 3:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lsquare
Speaking about grudges, did you not see my UA thread? The funny thing is that I don't even know any one of them. It's the internet. Gotta learn to deal with it.
Just had a read of that. I accept your frustrations. Given what you knew and who you are, I think you dealt with that situation like a champ. And I’ve no doubt that if it happened again (which I’d hope it won’t, not in that same flavour anyway) you’d do even better.

I personally find many aspects of corporate Japan uncomfortable and even troubling. This downside to Japan does actually heighten much of what I love most about the country; the people there who are subject to these inflexible commitments and expectations imposed on them and yet still share their grace and humour, kindness and empathy.
lsquare and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 4:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LapLap
Just had a read of that. I accept your frustrations. Given what you knew and who you are, I think you dealt with that situation like a champ. And I’ve no doubt that if it happened again (which I’d hope it won’t, not in that same flavour anyway) you’d do even better.

I personally find many aspects of corporate Japan uncomfortable and even troubling. This downside to Japan does actually heighten much of what I love most about the country; the people there who are subject to these inflexible commitments and expectations imposed on them and yet still share their grace and humour, kindness and empathy.
The problem with FT is that there are clowns eager for a fight. I asked a legitimate question and then the clown show began. Even in this thread, I've read what I posted again and I see nothing wrong with it. Too many people here especially take offense easily. Do you know what's crazy? I never even said I expected ANA to pay for the trip to my hotel just as a matter of expectation. Obviously, the airfare doesn't include transportation to my hotel. People here say so many strange things. I did expect ANA to do more for me simply because they cancel my flight. Even UA has done more for me after they canceled my flight.
smithrh and IndyHoosier like this.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 4:53 am

. Even UA has done more for me after they canceled my flight.
That's because 1k is top elite tier in UA (other than the semi-hidden global services tier), while you aren't top tier in ANA (diamond is ANA's top tier).

And even as UA top tier, sometimes you don't get the same experiences either (sometimes UA allow to rebook on AA/DL, sometimes refuse).

Would be interested to know howuch you did spend (and if ana would reimburse more after the fact)
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 4:59 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
I think we've beaten this horse to death at this point, but to summarize:

1) flights in Japan, especially from Kansai that has few major carriers domestically, are usually sold out MONTHS before. Same for NRT-ITM on JL, that flight is almost always sold out to connecting passengers. Therefore, it is unreasonable to expect to be rebooked since someone else would need to be bumped. Also - these flights are never widebodies because of comparatively low demand, unlike the major artery routes like ITM-HND that are mostly 777s (and used to be 747-400D's back in the day - Y on the upper deck!)

2) Both NH and JL will happily rebook you onto an available flight even if the ticket is issued by another airline. They will often book you into a revenue class, and they will do it with such lightning speed you won't even know what's being done. This also applies when the flight has already departed, because their ticketing system is completely disconnected from the systems the other airlines use, so they will not notify a no-show either.

3) Due to #2 they will often have tons of trouble finding your reservation, but that's a whole other story. Domestically, they do not use PNRs but use weird reservation numbers. JL has moved to Amadeus so I think it's better now, though, but still an issue.

So yeah, nothing unusual happened (though it was hugely frustrating, I know). Single overbooked flight per day, they didn't even bother to change you because they didn't know what your preference is (sleep in Kansai, train to Itami, or just go to Tokyo by train).
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 5:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by paperwastage
That's because 1k is top elite tier in UA (other than the semi-hidden global services tier), while you aren't top tier in ANA (diamond is ANA's top tier).

And even as UA top tier, sometimes you don't get the same experiences either (sometimes UA allow to rebook on AA/DL, sometimes refuse).

Would be interested to know howuch you did spend (and if ana would reimburse more after the fact)
I'll tally up and give your details when I get home. It's about that ballpark to get me to Tokyo Station. Then it was maybe another ¥850 to the hotel?
Old Jun 29, 2023, 9:10 am

Programs: Free agent
We were flying JL domestically during what seemed like the first few weeks/months of Amadeus. The JL foreigner ticket counter at CTS was a zoo. You *could* check on at the kiosk but only using the newer codes which no one's emails had because they were sent months ago before the conversion. I managed to track mine down on the JL website (using Google translate because the EN version hadn't been updated) to get my PNR. I held off on checking in at the kiosk though because we wanted to upgrade to F. Having the PNR to show to the agent made things much faster after I realized what was happening.
Old Jun 29, 2023, 9:12 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
LOL - I was the one that came to your defense! Yes - you gotta learn to deal with it -- and I let a lot more go now than in the past thankfully....
lsquare likes this.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 7:53 am

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Yeah HND was always the joke airport, until they no longer were (well, with the lounges / premium checkin exception). What always confused me is that NRT had a curfew while HND didn't, which is an odd thing considering it's in the middle of the city.
I would guess because NRT is entirely on land and surrounded by residents who hate it passionately, while late night departures and arrivals at HND can be done mostly over water:

Originally Posted by uanj
You can apply online now but it currently looks to be taking 6-8 weeks for approval. When approved you have to do an in-person interview at the airport when you next enter. The requirements are pretty clear on the Japan Trusted Travel Program pages of the Immigration Services of Japan website. Good luck!
Can you do the TTP interview when you enter Japan? I thought if you do it at the passport control area, you would do it when you depart Japan. Otherwise you would do it at the landside offices or in-city immigration offices.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
Can you do the TTP interview when you enter Japan? I thought if you do it at the passport control area, you would do it when you depart Japan. Otherwise you would do it at the landside offices or in-city immigration offices.
Right. You have to be in Japan for the TTP interview. So either you go to a landside counter at HND after your flight or before you depart. The NRT landside counter is closed, so you do it once you go past security but before you pass the immigration gates.
lsquare and ithinkurdumb like this.
Old Jul 6, 2023, 9:31 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim
Yeah HND was always the joke airport, until they no longer were (well, with the lounges / premium checkin exception). What always confused me is that NRT had a curfew while HND didn't, which is an odd thing considering it's in the middle of the city.
Haneda used to have a curfew also. Haneda became 24hrs. operation in 1997 when Runway C (16L/34R) has moved further out on the reclaimed land which allowed takeoff and landing without flying over the land. However, flights still flew close to the coastline and Haneda was still domestic operation except for China Airlines. This made operation at late evening and early morning minimal.

Haneda became true 24 hr. operation when return of international flights started in 2002 and opening of Runway D (05/23) in 2010 which allowed takeoff/landing directly to/from the bay eliminating any noise concern to the residential area of the land.
joejones likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.