Search

Two things I learned in Japan today

Search this Thread

Old Jun 25, 2023, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Two things I learned in Japan today

Today was my first time buying a ticket at a JR station. In the past, I've always used a JR Rail pass. The JR station at KIX doesn't accept mobile payment like Apple Pay. They do accept credit cards, but I had to use a physical card.

I can't remember what my experience using my cellphone in the Shinkansen was like in the past, but wow, the connection isn't very good. It's a bit slow and spotty. I'm taking the Nozomi Shinkansen to Tokyo at the moment and the guy next to see is watching YouTube on his 16" MacBook Pro. It's constantly buffering and stuttering. I expected better from a country like Japan.
SkyLich likes this.

Last edited by lsquare; Jun 25, 2023 at 7:01 am
Old Jun 25, 2023, 7:00 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Originally Posted by lsquare
Today was my first time buying a ticket at a JR station. In the past, I've always used a JR Rail pass. The JR station at KIX doesn't accept mobile payment like Apple Pay. They do accept credit cards, but I had to use a physical card.

I can't remember what my experience using my cellphone in the Shinkansen was like, but wow, the connection isn't very good. It's a bit slow and spotty. I'm taking the Nozomi Shinkansen to Tokyo at the moment and the guy next to see is watching YouTube on his 16" MacBook Pro. It's constantly buffering and stuttering. I expected better from a country like Japan.
High speed on the ground is hard.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 5khours
High speed on the ground is hard.
Oh, really? Why is that? I'm still on the train and not in Tokyo yet. I've been having connection issues the entire time. We just stopped at Shin-Yokohama. Hopefully, the remaining part of the journey will be better?

​​​​​​

​​
Old Jun 25, 2023, 8:00 am

I've only had some issues if its going thru tunnel.

If it's open air, no connection or speed issues loading pages (didn't really stream YouTube)

​​​​​​Softbank was better i believe, on my last trip. Which iphone phone do you have
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I've found the free WiFi on the Shinkansen to be pretty lame. Drops often, slow, balky. I guess you get what you pay for.
mnhusker likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Pickles
I've found the free WiFi on the Shinkansen to be pretty lame. Drops often, slow, balky. I guess you get what you pay for.
I’m roaming through T-Mobile.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 8:46 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, AAdvantage, Southwest, HHonors, National
I’m roaming through T-Mobile.

Your roaming T-mobile connection is throttled. I have Tmobile myself but always rent a mobile wifi device whenever I go to Japan. The connection from the mobile wifi is usually fast and dependable.
sushanna1, Adam1222 and TravelTW like this.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gradfly
Your roaming T-mobile connection is throttled. I have Tmobile myself but always rent a mobile wifi device whenever I go to Japan. The connection from the mobile wifi is usually fast and dependable.
Really? That's news to me.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 9:16 am

Programs: SQ:TPPS, Marriott: Titanium
I think even JR taking credit card is only a recent phenomenon (last 5-10 year). It was only cash before that. Not sure about Apple Pay, but you cannot use your usual visa or Mastercard paywave (or any other ‘foreign’ contactless payment methods) in Japan also. They use a different frequency which only works with Japan issued credit cards.

Last edited by williamluk; Jun 25, 2023 at 9:26 am
Old Jun 25, 2023, 9:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by williamluk
I think even JR taking credit card is only a recent phenomenon (last 5-10 year). It was only cash before that. Not sure about Apple Pay, but you cannot use your usual visa paywave (or any other contactless credit cards) in Japan also. They use a different frequency which only works with Japan-issued credit cards.
Not that I have a Japanese-issued card, but the lady said they only accept physical credit cards. I saw no indication that they would take mobile payment.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 9:34 am

Not that I have a Japanese-issued card, but the lady said they only accept physical credit cards. I saw no indication that they would take mobile payment.
this is the sign which show they accept contactless CC payment. Nothing like paywave lol …

Japan CC contactless payment sign
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 9:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

this is the sign which show they accept contactless cc payment. Nothing like paywave lol …

japan cc contactless payment sign
😆🤣
Old Jun 25, 2023, 9:49 am

Really? That's news to me.
I think T-mobile roaming came with the usual fair usage cap where the speed got reduced to 2G+ after 1GB or even 500MB per day. Local mobile wifi has no such cap.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I think T-mobile roaming came with the usual fair usage cap where the speed got reduced to 2G+ after 1GB or even 500MB per day. Local mobile wifi has no such cap.
Never heard of it. T-Mobile was advertising how I get 5GB for international roaming through my plan.
Old Jun 25, 2023, 9:55 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
I expected better from a country like Japan.
You expected Japan to be a country that isn’t Japan.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.