Wiki Posts
Search

Two things I learned in Japan today

Search this Thread

Old Jun 26, 2023, 2:59 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
The country has worsened since pre-pandemic.

The only pro that comes to mind (as a foreigner) is the much wider acceptance of credit cards.

However, I'd say things are much less efficient now.

Some convenience stores require you to tap on a screen to choose the payment method; if it's cash, then you have to tap again when you're done dropping in the money. Some supermarkets go even farther backwards, and ask if we want to pay everything in a lump-sum, or use different payment methods ... then ask if we want an a receipt for expense reports, or just a standard issue receipt.

And why are train station queues still lengthy at times? Those ticket machines are sorely lacking in capabilities. (ironically, I've had no success using a foreign credit card at those ticket machines, so time is further wasted).

I've also come to realize that Japanese airports suck. Landside, they're fine, with plenty of food options. But Japan Airlines at HND? Slim pickens, plus the lounges are rubbish. NGO domestic Priority Pass lounge? Crap.
Just eat before security, and buy a couple of snacks beforehand, too.

More and more Japanese airports are turning to self-check-in. Because most people aren't traveling all of the time, it's much slower. Not to mention, my passport routinely offends the scanners, so I need to yobidasu help anyway.

Osaka has also gone to the dogs. It reminds me of a Chinese city but with potable water. Smoking seems popular once again, and the Namba area is a miserable place for wandering.

OTOH, Tokyo is still neat. But not being able to refund those stored-value cards anywhere in the country is stupid. It's not as if JR East and JR West are competing with each other.
Hahaha, all valid points. The new "semi self rejis" are a complete mystery to me because they make exactly zero part of the process more efficient - you used to hand over the payment method and be done with the bloody thing, but now you have to navigate screens, tap them, and otherwise do things that a cashier would do 10x faster than you would.

The refund of the stupid Suica is a completely valid criticism. But try buying a transit pass. It's even more amusing, where you have to go to only specific stations, and only during certain working hours.

Disagree with the lounge criticisms, though. Or, more specifically, as far as "post pandemic" goes. I find them just as bad as they always were (and yet, worlds beyond North America, so not even sure if that's a valid criticism).

One thing that has really fallen apart is road quality. Kyoto roads are on a new level of "bad", so much so that I had to inquire from the locals - and was told that Kyoto is broke from no tourists, and is going to be waiving the <11 floor building limitation, so as to generate some construction revenue. The 80s are coming back, build baby, build!!! Tokyo seems fine, though.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 3:30 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by SkyLich
Meanwhile in Bangkok I see barefoot laborers pay for a 1usd lunch in 3 seconds by flashing their phone at a vendor's whose entire business is attached to a scooter.
That seems like a bit of a non sequitur since I wouldn’t really think to compare the payment practices of a single entity in Thailand vs corporations in Japan but OK. I’ll agree that the registers aren’t really efficient, and probably don’t serve a need (although I have to imagine they were put in place to prevent sales folks from coming into contact with cash during COVID), but I find them amusing.

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim

Disagree with the lounge criticisms, though. Or, more specifically, as far as "post pandemic" goes. I find them just as bad as they always were (and yet, worlds beyond North America, so not even sure if that's a valid criticism).
….
Unless I completely missed a huge section of the JAL Domestic F lounge at HND I’d be hard pressed to think of a single current NA lounge that is worse. It’s slightly above USAir level from the days when nothing was complimentary, but without the option to actually purchase anything. The only redeeming feature was the beer machines, and you’re SOL if you want anything else to drink.
uanj likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Unless something has changed, if one has a DISCOVER card, one can use that at the vast majority on contactless payment terminals in Japan, even those solely for domestic cards, the key is to look for if JCB is accepted.

One other note, I remember back in the 90's being infuriated that I could not buy any TGV tickets nor Eurostar services at ticket windows in France for 2-3 years as they would not accept cards that did not have a chip in them........the issue of course was that other than France, no one had started chipping cards yet. Eventually everyone had chips in their cards.
lsquare likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 5:04 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim

One thing that has really fallen apart is road quality. Kyoto roads are on a new level of "bad", so much so that I had to inquire from the locals - and was told that Kyoto is broke from no tourists, and is going to be waiving the <11 floor building limitation, so as to generate some construction revenue. The 80s are coming back, build baby, build!!! Tokyo seems fine, though.
Oh, really, the domestic lounges sucked before COVID-19, too? I had only ever been to the international ones -- mostly in NRT, but also one at KIX (which also sucked). They're a bit gloomy, but I like the curry buffet, and the umeshu.

As for Kyoto roads, maybe they will make the foreigners that locals hate so much -- yet obviously contributed plenty to the coiffeurs -- repave them
Old Jun 26, 2023, 5:07 am

Originally Posted by IggySD
I’m here now and kind of like that change, have primarily seen it in 7-11. Makes it much easier to get rid of spare change, especially yennys when I can see the numbers in front of me. It was a bit strange at first but now that I’m used to it I’m a fan. I feel less bad about making a machine wait while I try to remember which is 5, 10, and than a person.
There's generally a worker by the machine anyway -- and there's likely a customer waiting behind you.

Not to mention, if the screen is slow/a customer has never used it before/customer doesn't know the languages, how does that help? A human again would have to be present.

Those screens are all idiotic, and it's not like the amount of change you get from the machine is different from the human taking it from the till.
Pseudo Nim likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 5:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As for Kyoto roads, maybe they will make the foreigners that locals hate so much -- yet obviously contributed plenty to the coiffeurs -- repave them
Too late now, I’m afraid. Vidal Sassoon died about 10 years ago.
Q Shoe Guy and Bogwoppit like this.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 6:28 am

Programs: Free agent
Re: Shinkansen Internet

We had one of our US phones on a Verizon international plan and it did not work splendidly on the Hayabusa once we passed by Sendai on our way up to Hokkaido. It was near useless when we tried it again up towards Aomori. Once we retethered that phone to our Ninja Wifi pocket unit and it was back to lightning fast. For the price it's a must-have for longer trips to Japan, especially if you're going to be outside of cities. We had no coverage drops with the pocket wifi aside from the middle of tunnels.

FWIW re: JR Rail Pass, we preordered ours because I'd read that the process could get a little confusing even at Tokyo Station if you were using foreign cards instead of cash. We had no issues activating and planning seats at the offices but we did have a couple next to us in Osaka that were having problems with their cards I think they were Dutch.

With the jump in price coming up we'll probably be buying single trip and round trip tickets instead anyway.
LapLap and lsquare like this.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 7:07 am

Programs: ANA SFC (*G)
Wow that sucks. I was expecting a geisha to give me a massage on the bullet train and got nothing. Japan is certainly not what I expected..
roberto99 and MSYtoJFKagain like this.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 7:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LapLap
Too late now, I’m afraid. Vidal Sassoon died about 10 years ago.
Omotaesando is tops for a good coiff.
LapLap and bmwe92fan like this.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 8:01 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Oh, really, the domestic lounges sucked before COVID-19, too? I had only ever been to the international ones -- mostly in NRT, but also one at KIX (which also sucked). They're a bit gloomy, but I like the curry buffet, and the umeshu.

Originally Posted by IggySD
That seems like a bit of a non sequitur since I wouldn’t really think to compare the payment practices of a single entity in Thailand vs corporations in Japan but OK. I’ll agree that the registers aren’t really efficient, and probably don’t serve a need (although I have to imagine they were put in place to prevent sales folks from coming into contact with cash during COVID), but I find them amusing.

Unless I completely missed a huge section of the JAL Domestic F lounge at HND I’d be hard pressed to think of a single current NA lounge that is worse. It’s slightly above USAir level from the days when nothing was complimentary, but without the option to actually purchase anything. The only redeeming feature was the beer machines, and you’re SOL if you want anything else to drink.
The domestic lounges in Japan have always been underwhelming. At best. Even on board in FC you get next to nothing. I recall a flight from CTS to OKI which was 3-4 hours long and we got a second packet of senbei if we wanted. Y only got one packet. That's domestic flying in Japan.

As for Isquare's comments, I appreciate him taking us along for the ride and sharing his impressions.
LapLap, lsquare, bmwe92fan and 1 others like this.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 8:38 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by uanj
The domestic lounges in Japan have always been underwhelming. At best. Even on board in FC you get next to nothing. I recall a flight from CTS to OKI which was 3-4 hours long and we got a second packet of senbei if we wanted. Y only got one packet. That's domestic flying in Japan.

As for Isquare's comments, I appreciate him taking us along for the ride and sharing his impressions.
My wife and I fly to western Japan on NH/JL about 6 times per year from HND and we stopped paying for J even though it is a very modest upgrade fee because there is basically no difference -- and on many planes there is no difference (especially on JL) just like on J in the EU. Lounges are weak as noted -- it's just not worth it. My wifes JL status gets us into the "executive lounge" (lol) at UBJ which does provide a decent environment to relax and destress after the family visits....
uanj and lsquare like this.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by uanj

I've flown plenty of domestic routes in Japan, but I'd never expect Yonago or Tokushima to have a lounge anyway. And apparently even if they did, they'd suck.

Landside, Japanese airports are good about having local souvenirs. For example, Sapporo CTS has dairy products, ROYCE chocolates, hasukappu (err, blue honeysuckle fruit), and when in season, Yubari melon.

Most of the flights are short, and it's easy enough to get the gate right before boarding, so there's not too much time needed airside (exceptions obviously exist for cancelled/delayed flights). However, it is nice to be able to bring PET bottles through security for domestic routes.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 8:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am in the HND ANA domestic lounge now. Once I found the small premium check in area for star gold everything went smoothly. Took about 1 minute to check in and go through the premium security area. The security slip is a nice, Japanese style, touch. But I much prefer the domestic airport experience in Japan to China, where I live.

The lounge offerings are basically senbei, coffee/tea drinks, water/soft drinks, beer and 4 kinds of whiskey. Nothing to complain about from my POV 😄
Old Jun 26, 2023, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by travelinmanS
I am in the HND ANA domestic lounge now. Once I found the small premium check in area for star gold everything went smoothly. Took about 1 minute to check in and go through the premium security area. The security slip is a nice, Japanese style, touch. But I much prefer the domestic airport experience in Japan to China, where I live.

The lounge offerings are basically senbei, coffee/tea drinks, water/soft drinks, beer and 4 kinds of whiskey. Nothing to complain about from my POV 😄
Where? I have to go to HND tomorrow.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Omotaesando is tops for a good coiff.
I knew I shouldn't have been watching Shampoo while writing in this forum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.