FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Two things I learned in Japan today
View Single Post
Old Jun 26, 2023, 2:59 am
Pseudo Nim

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
The country has worsened since pre-pandemic.

The only pro that comes to mind (as a foreigner) is the much wider acceptance of credit cards.

However, I'd say things are much less efficient now.

Some convenience stores require you to tap on a screen to choose the payment method; if it's cash, then you have to tap again when you're done dropping in the money. Some supermarkets go even farther backwards, and ask if we want to pay everything in a lump-sum, or use different payment methods ... then ask if we want an a receipt for expense reports, or just a standard issue receipt.

And why are train station queues still lengthy at times? Those ticket machines are sorely lacking in capabilities. (ironically, I've had no success using a foreign credit card at those ticket machines, so time is further wasted).

I've also come to realize that Japanese airports suck. Landside, they're fine, with plenty of food options. But Japan Airlines at HND? Slim pickens, plus the lounges are rubbish. NGO domestic Priority Pass lounge? Crap.
Just eat before security, and buy a couple of snacks beforehand, too.

More and more Japanese airports are turning to self-check-in. Because most people aren't traveling all of the time, it's much slower. Not to mention, my passport routinely offends the scanners, so I need to yobidasu help anyway.

Osaka has also gone to the dogs. It reminds me of a Chinese city but with potable water. Smoking seems popular once again, and the Namba area is a miserable place for wandering.

OTOH, Tokyo is still neat. But not being able to refund those stored-value cards anywhere in the country is stupid. It's not as if JR East and JR West are competing with each other.
Hahaha, all valid points. The new "semi self rejis" are a complete mystery to me because they make exactly zero part of the process more efficient - you used to hand over the payment method and be done with the bloody thing, but now you have to navigate screens, tap them, and otherwise do things that a cashier would do 10x faster than you would.

The refund of the stupid Suica is a completely valid criticism. But try buying a transit pass. It's even more amusing, where you have to go to only specific stations, and only during certain working hours.

Disagree with the lounge criticisms, though. Or, more specifically, as far as "post pandemic" goes. I find them just as bad as they always were (and yet, worlds beyond North America, so not even sure if that's a valid criticism).

One thing that has really fallen apart is road quality. Kyoto roads are on a new level of "bad", so much so that I had to inquire from the locals - and was told that Kyoto is broke from no tourists, and is going to be waiving the <11 floor building limitation, so as to generate some construction revenue. The 80s are coming back, build baby, build!!! Tokyo seems fine, though.