Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Unexpected overnight stay

Search this Thread

Old Jun 15, 2023, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Unexpected overnight stay

Always be prepared is my adage. Flying Thai Airways Bangkok to Narita and connecting with Air Canada to Montreal all on one ticket and in Business Class. Since AC is known for delays and cancellations, I guess as a part of their policy, I am wondering what is the course of action if our Narita to Montreal flight is delayed significantly or is cancelled outright? There are no additional flights to Canada from Narita after the flight we are booked on. If AC does not rebook us on their partner airline United to Chicago and we have to spend the night in Tokyo, are we able to go through immigration without any problem? We are both American Passport holders. I am aware that even Americans have to do some sort of K-Visa on line before entering Japan. Are there any special arrangements for passenges that have flight problems and need to unexpectedly stay overnight? My undestanding is that Narita does not have a traditional airport hotel inside the airport. Only a capsule type hotel that would not be our preference.
Old Jun 15, 2023, 10:43 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
As US passport holders, you can enter Japan for 90 days, provided you have a valid passport. There is no need to apply for a visa in advance.
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...ree%22%20entry.

If you miss your onward connection at NRT because of a delayed incoming flight, go to the transit desks and have them make alternative arrangements. I expect they will offer accommodation at an airport hotel. There are shuttle buses to the airport hotels. If you prefer to stay a traditional Japanese hotel (a "ryokan"), you would probably need to make your own arrangements. There are a couple in Narita city, which is a short train ride from the airport.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 5:03 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jib71
As US passport holders, you can enter Japan for 90 days, provided you have a valid passport. There is no need to apply for a visa in advance.
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...ree%22%20entry.

If you miss your onward connection at NRT because of a delayed incoming flight, go to the transit desks and have them make alternative arrangements. I expect they will offer accommodation at an airport hotel. There are shuttle buses to the airport hotels. If you prefer to stay a traditional Japanese hotel (a "ryokan"), you would probably need to make your own arrangements. There are a couple in Narita city, which is a short train ride from the airport.
Thank you. It's sometimes difficult to get the correct and up to date infomation from the internet. So, I worried for nothing.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 12:24 pm

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
OP, it appears that you have a 2 hour connection in NRT.

Even if the BKK-NRT arrives 30 minutes late, you will have PLENTY of time to make it through security and over to the AC gate if you follow the signs and don't dawdle. Both airlines use NRT T1, even though T1 is quite expansive.

NRT is one of my favorite airports.
Old Jun 16, 2023, 12:58 pm

Happened to me once. I flew from HKG to YYZ via NRT and due to weather the NRT -> YYZ flight got cancelled. The communication at the airport is going to be absolutely terrible but they will make arrangements for you to stay overnight somewhere in the city. When it happened to me we stayed at the Sheraton Tokyo Bay near Disney Land.

You will have to clear customs and with a US Passport I'm sure you won't have any issues getting a Visa on the spot.

Old Jun 16, 2023, 8:45 pm

If it was me, I’d be hoping for a misconnect! Tokyo for a night sounds great! If you booked with tan credit card that has delay/cancellation insurance, you might also be able to double
dip - or stay at a hotel that you have loyalty with.
roberto99 likes this.
Old Jun 17, 2023, 12:40 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by roberto99
OP, it appears that you have a 2 hour connection in NRT.

Even if the BKK-NRT arrives 30 minutes late, you will have PLENTY of time to make it through security and over to the AC gate if you follow the signs and don't dawdle. Both airlines use NRT T1, even though T1 is quite expansive.

NRT is one of my favorite airports.
We are booked BKK/NRT/YUL/MCO all on the same ticket with an overnight at the the YUL Marriott as we have a morning flight to MCO. If the NRT/YUL flight was cancelled I would try to have AC transfer us to a later United flight to Chicago and then on to MCO. We're in Business so should not be a problem. Also, it is in their written policy terms and conditions and they are in the Star Alliance. I really don't want to stay overnight in Tokyo and then another overnight in Montreal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.