Wiki Posts
Search

Japan TTP Notice for those with pending applications

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2024, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by roberto99
This week, while making tax-free purchases, I asked the tax-free clerks/cashiers at my usual retailers if my shiny new Japan TTP card will be acceptable for future tax-free purchases in lieu of my passport stamps.

Both clerks looked at me as if I was from a different planet or even galaxy! They had no idea what the TTP card or date imprints are!

So... if I use my shiny new TTP card to enter Japan next time, I'm going to seek out a usual stamp, too! My spouse needs my usual tax-free stuff!!!!
I've gotten questions before but i always turn the card around and show them the printed temp visitor permit and they look at it and understand, then process it as normal. Has worked every time but one (Uniqlo Shinjuku that refused to use it). As time goes on it's more and more accepted without having to explain everything.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 3:47 am

Programs: QF Plat, SQ*G, HH Diamond, ALL Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by YariGuy
No, the registration point is landside, in the check-in area. I believe there was a post with useful photos showing exactly where it is a few pages back.

In any case, when you arrive from public transport (or curbside) to the departures level, the departures counters are labeled A-P or something like that. A is to your right, with Singapore Airlines I think. Walk towards there. There will be a Takkyubin service Kuroneko Yamato at the very end. The office is right by that.
I took a few pics when I got mine in December

Walk towards check-in counter A

In the far right corner, behind a sea of kuroneko bags, there will be a small green sign that says "Tokyo Immigration Services Bureau"

The booth has a single seat so I guess you'll need to wait outside if they're handling someone else's application..

If you need to buy stamps, the 7-11 out towards the trains stocks them.
Old Mar 2, 2024, 11:57 pm

Alright I just got my card at NRT on arrival. For those who want to do the same here is some tips to avoid my mistakes.

1) Get your stamps on the 4th floor of terminal 1 at the post office. I went to a lawsons and ended up getting the wrong ones. Glad I had plenty of cash and coinage left over from my last trip.

2) The TTP enrollment desk is on the 2nd floor of terminal 1. Once you exit customs you need to go up to the 4th floor and then down to the second. There are priority elevators next to the TTP and post office so just take them down.

3) No problems scanning my two index fingers. They did not scan any of my other ones. Other than the printer running out of ink I was in and out within 10 minutes.

On arrival there was no line for normal customs. Not sure the benefit of the card but all well.
Old Mar 5, 2024, 8:10 pm

Programs: US, LH, HH
I tried to use the TTP gate for the first time and it already refused me at the first step where you need to scan your passport. Went to the immigration office the next day and they think it happened because my passport shows 'D' (for Germany), but they had DEU in their system. Got a new card printed although that has the same info on it as the old one, including validity length.
Old Mar 6, 2024, 2:19 am

Programs: BA Gold
Does anyone know if you have a TTP card but enter through the normal immigration lane and receive a QR code stamp in your passport (i.e. your entry is not recorded on the TTP card), can you still carry the TTP card without the entry record in lieu of a passport while out and about?
Old Mar 6, 2024, 11:22 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by doctoravios
Does anyone know if you have a TTP card but enter through the normal immigration lane and receive a QR code stamp in your passport (i.e. your entry is not recorded on the TTP card), can you still carry the TTP card without the entry record in lieu of a passport while out and about?
Unless they have changed the policy, the answer is Yes. There used to be a specific question in the FAQ on the MOJ website that addressed this situation.
darkguy2 and doctoravios like this.
Old Mar 7, 2024, 5:11 pm

Experience from arriving at HND T3:

No line for the one TTP-supported automatic gate. P1 used the automatic gate with no issue. After going through the gate, the machine said it was out of service. P2 went to get someone to take a look. After ~10mins, the machine remedied itself (no intervention by staff) and P2 went through.
Old Mar 8, 2024, 9:45 am

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by boardwalk
Experience from arriving at HND T3:

No line for the one TTP-supported automatic gate. P1 used the automatic gate with no issue. After going through the gate, the machine said it was out of service. P2 went to get someone to take a look. After ~10mins, the machine remedied itself (no intervention by staff) and P2 went through.
I've had that happen to me as well...
Old Mar 8, 2024, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Steve M
Unless they have changed the policy, the answer is Yes. There used to be a specific question in the FAQ on the MOJ website that addressed this situation.
To add to this, in case anyone is wondering, you do still need it for tax free purchases, even though the TTP card has everything they need, including the temporary visitor stamp, and the passport doesn't have a QR code/landing permit in it, they still want to make sure you have a passport for some reason. You also need your passport to check in to a hotel, TTP card alone won't be enough.
roberto99 and road2elysium like this.
Old Mar 22, 2024, 12:57 am

Programs: SPG Platinum AAdvantage Executive Platinum
Looking to see if anyone has tried to do the Secondary Inspection post the 6 month limit? I only ask because my application that cleared preliminary inspection in the middle of June 2023, still appears active in the system when I login. I will be in Japan in two weeks and was wondering if it is worth trying to proceed with this application or attempt to submit a new one (but am doubtful it will be processed in time).
Old Mar 25, 2024, 8:30 pm

Just used my TTP for the first time at KIX (courtesy of ANA switching to HND T2), and my lesson is “never ask how where to use TTP. You have to find the kiosks on your own.”

At the immigration hall, when the staff saw our foreign passports, they just directed us to the regular foreigner lines. Then when I showed them my TTP card, they redirected the re-entry lines. Finally I found the one TTP kiosk, sandwiched between the facial recognition lines and the re-entry lines. The kiosk was slowed but we passed thorough without any issue.

I tried to get a passport stamp after passing the kiosk, but the officer I found pointed to my TTP card saying that should suffice and declined to stamp my passport.

For others’ reference, the TTP kiosks are at the right side of the immigration hall, between the re-entry manual inspection lanes and the facial recognition lanes. There are four TTP kiosks, but only one (with a green sign) is for visitors.

Last edited by ithinkurdumb; Mar 25, 2024 at 9:18 pm
Old Mar 25, 2024, 8:59 pm

Programs: Ex-Bonvoyed, Hyatt, Hilton, BR, AC, AA
Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
Just used my TTP for the first time at KIX (courtesy of ANA switching to HND T2), and my lesson is “never ask how where to use TTP. You have to find the kiosks on your own.”

At the immigration hall, when the staff saw our foreign passports, they just directed us to the regular foreigner lines. Then when I showed them my TTP card, they redirected the re-entry lines. Finally I found the one TTP kiosk, sandwiched between the facial recognition lines and the re-entry lines. The kiosk was slowed but we passed thorough without any issue.
Correct. Same experience at HND (directed to regular foreigner line first, then the re-entry line after showing TTP card).

The staff are (to be fair, reasonably) only acquainted with the "usual" methods of entry, and TTP is a very tiny minority. Finding the machine will largely be up to the individual.

Somewhat off-topic, first merchant I've encountered that was very familiar with what's required to do a tax refund at Kagami Ginza, using a TTP. No long examination of card to see what it is.
Old Mar 28, 2024, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

15 minutes to get a card issued at the check-in area of HND T3.

That said, my last two entries with an APEC card were extremely smooth so the TTP may not be much of an upgrade, if any.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Dave510
Somewhat off-topic, first merchant I've encountered that was very familiar with what's required to do a tax refund at Kagami Ginza, using a TTP. No long examination of card to see what it is.
This has definitely gotten better over time. If i'm ever asked, I just point to the temporary visiter permit on the back and provide my passport and they typically get it.
Old Apr 2, 2024, 8:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Now that they have automated departure gates for foreign passports, if you enter on a TTP card are you supposed to use a TTP departure gate or is the normal automated gate fine?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.