Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Japan TTP Notice for those with pending applications

Japan TTP Notice for those with pending applications

Old Nov 23, 2023, 3:17 am

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by sbor90
Hmm, I applied on 26 Sep (59 days ago) via Category D and am still waiting for preliminary inspection.

This is my first time applying, but have been to Japan 20+ times (on both tourist and student visas) over the last 18 years with no issues whatsoever.

Does anyone else have a recent data point?
(Just adding that my application is based on Global Entry)
sbor90 likes this.
Old Nov 25, 2023, 12:31 am
Yub

My wife and I applied on 10 October, and completed preliminary inspection on 16 November (37 days), based on Global Entry, Category A.

Our previous TTP application was on 7 September 2017, and completed preliminary inspection on 25 October, 2017 (48 days), also based on Global Entry.

Not specifically related to TTP, but rather to tax-free purchases, I learned last month that Costco Japan no longer handles tax-free purchases. :-(
Old Nov 30, 2023, 10:37 pm

Programs: QF WP
Primary inspection approved after 66 days. Category D.
Old Dec 1, 2023, 7:08 am

Location: exUA1K, UA MM, lifetime UA1P, AA MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
I recently went in for my secondary approval at HND. The agent was great!

We tried for almost an hour but the machines could not get a satisfactory read on any of my right hand fingerprints! The rep stated that about 1% of applicants have this issue. No, I've never been a bricklayer (known for this problem)

Now I'm stuck with 2,200 yen in Japan revenue stamps! Does anyone need them?
Old Dec 15, 2023, 4:28 am

Automated gate at HND T2

Apologies if this is a bit off-topic. Has anyone used TTP/automated gate for arrival into HND T2?

From the MOJ website, automated gates are not available at HND T2. However, the HND website and some recent blog posts seem to indicate that automated gates are actually available at HND T2.
uanj likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 1:17 am

Programs: SQ, QF, UA, CO, DL
Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb
Apologies if this is a bit off-topic. Has anyone used TTP/automated gate for arrival into HND T2?

From the MOJ website, automated gates are not available at HND T2. However, the HND website and some recent blog posts seem to indicate that automated gates are actually available at HND T2.
I sure hope they add them, a lot of flights are being shifted to T2. I have departed Japan from T2 this year and the Immigration Departure area was a good size, they are clearly going to have more flights out of T2. Hopefully relief for T1 which has needed to use bus gates for international arrivals. Anyone with recent experience arriving at T2?

There is a Japan TTP thread now but I cannot link it.... Hardware issue.
ithinkurdumb likes this.
Old Dec 16, 2023, 6:56 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by uanj
Hopefully relief for T1 which has needed to use bus gates for international arrivals..
I wasn't aware that T1 had any international arrivals. When did that start?
Old Dec 16, 2023, 7:23 am

Originally Posted by jib71
I wasn't aware that T1 had any international arrivals. When did that start?
Thanks, mistyped. Should be T2!
Old Dec 16, 2023, 7:29 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Thanks, mistyped. Should be T2!
Probably T3.
AFAIK T1 is domestic only.
Old Dec 20, 2023, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by ithinkurdumb

Just passed through HND, and there is indeed no automated gate for TTP cards at T2. There are a few Face Express gates available for Japanese nationals.

The lack of TTP automated gates didnt really matter at the moment though, as there are quite few international arrivals and spaced quite apart. Passed through passport control under 5 minutes.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 9:28 pm

Originally Posted by roberto99
I recently went in for my secondary approval at HND. The agent was great!

We tried for almost an hour but the machines could not get a satisfactory read on any of my right hand fingerprints! The rep stated that about 1% of applicants have this issue. No, I've never been a bricklayer (known for this problem)

Now I'm stuck with 2,200 yen in Japan revenue stamps! Does anyone need them?
Just got my card from Haneda terminal 3. The fingerprinting took a long time (left index finger). Lots of wiping, gelling, telling me to move this and try that. Finally after 15 minutes (seemed longer) got it done. Seems to me this happens more than 1% of the time. Also, to me, the agents they staff seem like washed out bureaucrats they put out to pasture (don't know if your "agent was great" comment above was sarcastic).

Even though they took my photo, the one they printed on the card was the one I used 7 years ago!

Also confusing for them was that there was already a stamp in the back of my passport that said I had TTP. In the end they crossed out the old expiration date and stamped in a new one. By the way, the expiration date matches the expiration date of my passport, which is a little less than 3 years away.
Old Dec 28, 2023, 9:41 pm

There is also a minor difference in the current card vs. the one from 2017. On the bottom right where the 印鑑 seal is, the old version said "法務大臣" (Minister of Justice) whereas the current version shows a much more minor bureaucrat, (出入国在留管理庁長官). Much less impressive.
joejones likes this.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 2:06 am

Originally Posted by YariGuy
Just got my card from Haneda terminal 3. The fingerprinting took a long time (left index finger). Lots of wiping, gelling, telling me to move this and try that. Finally after 15 minutes (seemed longer) got it done. Seems to me this happens more than 1% of the time. Also, to me, the agents they staff seem like washed out bureaucrats they put out to pasture (don't know if your "agent was great" comment above was sarcastic).
HND T3, do they have the fingerprint gel now? I went 3 times over 3 months, all unsuccessfully, and they could not read my left hard fingerprints. I've use my fingerprints for ID regularly so I was more than surprised. The third time I had a long talk with the agent who explained their matching sensitivity is set at maximum for TTP registry, unlike individual entry, and they have many people whose fingerprints can't be read at that level. Including the lady in front of me who tried for more than an hour. I told him about the fingerprint gel, he was unaware of it and said he would ask. He was very nice, saw I had an APEC card and said just use that instead.
Old Dec 30, 2023, 7:45 pm

HND T3, do they have the fingerprint gel now? I went 3 times over 3 months, all unsuccessfully, and they could not read my left hard fingerprints. I've use my fingerprints for ID regularly so I was more than surprised. The third time I had a long talk with the agent who explained their matching sensitivity is set at maximum for TTP registry, unlike individual entry, and they have many people whose fingerprints can't be read at that level. Including the lady in front of me who tried for more than an hour. I told him about the fingerprint gel, he was unaware of it and said he would ask. He was very nice, saw I had an APEC card and said just use that instead.
When I went their little jar of fingerprint gel was nearly used up. It was a thin layer of what felt like silicone at the bottom of the little round tin. He mentioned while we were struggling with my left finger that they had to get (not sure if I recall exactly now) something like "7 points" (㍟?) and that I was getting like 5. As we got close he was saying "one more, one more."
uanj likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2024, 6:51 pm

Programs: Delta Gold 1MM, JAL JGC Diamond, Marriott LT Titanium
A quick tip for getting your fingerprints read - rub your fingers on your nose or forehead

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.