Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

7 days in Kansai - Osaka or Kobe based ?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2023, 6:43 am
Original Poster
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold

I will go to Japan in October. This is my third trip there and I have visited Tokyo, Kyoto and Nara extensively on previous trips.
I will spend 11 nights, 4 nights in Tokyo (first 3 and last one) because Tokyo is always a good idea. For the remaining of the trip I would like to base myself in one region and do day trips from there. In early October Kansai sounds like a good idea, plenty to do and see. I wonder where to base myself: Osaka or Kobe. Osaka seems like there would be plenty of things to eat, to see during evenings and is worth 2 days in itself. But I am afraid that I will have to commute to a train station at the beginning and end of each day trip, but it might be a too much hustle and noise.
Kobe seems more authentic, less touristic and has a Crowne Plaza at the train station. But is it a convenient starting point for day trip in Kansai?

Also, I have a SUICA card (and will get a JR Pass), is that accepted now in most of Kansai, or should I get the ICOCA ?

Last edited by fransknorge; Feb 19, 2023 at 7:16 am
Old Feb 19, 2023, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I have been to Osaka and it is well worth a visit . I stayed at the Conrad ( very nice hotel with a good executive lounge and good metro links)
The osaka hilton is close to Osaka station ( the shinkansen stops at Shin-osaka station a few minutes by local train from Osaka station)
If you were going to Kyoto and Nara then Osaka would make more sense but you have been there before

If you were going to Himeji ( Castle) or Okayama for the Korakuen garden then Kobe might be worthwhile ( shinkansen station at shin-kobe is like osaka a few minutes away from the centre by train)

Regards

TBS
Old Feb 19, 2023, 5:44 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by fransknorge
I will go to Japan in October. This is my third trip there and I have visited Tokyo, Kyoto and Nara extensively on previous trips.
I will spend 11 nights, 4 nights in Tokyo (first 3 and last one) because Tokyo is always a good idea. For the remaining of the trip I would like to base myself in one region and do day trips from there. In early October Kansai sounds like a good idea, plenty to do and see. I wonder where to base myself: Osaka or Kobe. Osaka seems like there would be plenty of things to eat, to see during evenings and is worth 2 days in itself. But I am afraid that I will have to commute to a train station at the beginning and end of each day trip, but it might be a too much hustle and noise.
Kobe seems more authentic, less touristic and has a Crowne Plaza at the train station. But is it a convenient starting point for day trip in Kansai?

Also, I have a SUICA card (and will get a JR Pass), is that accepted now in most of Kansai, or should I get the ICOCA ?
Kobe is a nice, walkable city. Great if you like to hike too, as the trails start right behind ShinKobe station.
If you have a Japan Rail pass, than ShinKobe Crowne makes sense. The "special rapid" is a fast local JR train that we usually use, and that runs through the main station of Sannomiya, which is in the center of Kobe. About a 20-minute walk from Shin Kobe (3 min subway).
I am pretty sure SUICA will do everything ICOCA will.
Kurashiki is another point west to consider. Tatsuno (near Himeji) is also interesting.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 7:03 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
While the CP may offer convenient access to the Shinkansen and trails into the hills, the area immediately around the hotel is sterile. Shin-Osaka is different but also dull. In either city, I'd prefer a "downtown" district over the transit hub as a base for seven days. YMMV.

My advice would be to put the question of where to stay to one side for now and start thinking about which places you want to visit in the Kansai region and beyond. That will inform your choice of transportation (e.g. rail passes https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2357_kansai.html). When you have a clearer plan in mind, the decision about where to base yourself may become clearer - perhaps you'll choose Osaka or Kobe for seven days, or perhaps you'll find it makes sense to split the time with another city further along the coast, or on the opposite coast, or ....
LapLap likes this.
Old Feb 19, 2023, 11:48 pm
Original Poster
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Well thanks for the advice but after talking with some other people, I changed my plan as I was convinced on going to the Alps and west coast of the country, which I never considered before. I will do 3 nights Tokyo - 4 nights Nagoya - 3 nights Kanazawa. That way I can do the train museum and the Boeing centre, day trips to the Alps and see a bit of the west coast. Hotels are booked.
LapLap and The _Banking_Scot like this.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 2:08 am

Well thanks for the advice but after talking with some other people, I changed my plan as I was convinced on going to the Alps and west coast of the country, which I never considered before. I will do 3 nights Tokyo - 4 nights Nagoya - 3 nights Kanazawa. That way I can do the train museum and the Boeing centre, day trips to the Alps and see a bit of the west coast. Hotels are booked.
Sounds like a good move.
I'd maybe consider reducing 2 days from Nagoya and staying 2 nights in somewhere the way up to Kanazawa like Takayama, it's beautiful and great for day trips to Shirakawa-Go, Kamikochi etc.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 3:28 am
Original Poster

I don’t want to unpack/repack too much, having 2-3 nights only in 4 locations is too much on such a short trip. If I had 3 weeks I would do 4-5 locations.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 10:50 am

I don’t want to unpack/repack too much, having 2-3 nights only in 4 locations is too much on such a short trip. If I had 3 weeks I would do 4-5 locations.
Fair enough, I get that.
I would look at the day trips you'd like to do with Kanazawa and Nagoya as bases, it might be better 4/3 Kanazawa/Nagoya split rather than 3/4.
I visited Nagoya for the first time and enjoyed it, the museums were good and next time I really want to do the Kiso Valley trip which is only 1h-1h30 away.
However, after Tokyo, it's another huge city and maybe Kanazawa offers a more interesting contrast.
Depends what you like of course.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 11:20 am

What do you mean by day trips to the Alps? Taking a bus/train to Takayama or Shirakawa? Or visiting Tateyama/Kurobe?
Old Feb 20, 2023, 12:45 pm
Original Poster

I had Gujo Hachiman on the top of my list. Also Inuyama. I will probably take a final decision close to the dates based on weather and mood of the moment.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
I had Gujo Hachiman on the top of my list. Also Inuyama. I will probably take a final decision close to the dates based on weather and mood of the moment.
Inuyama has one of my favorite museums in Japan (and probably the entire world), the Meiji Mura.
LapLap likes this.
Old Feb 20, 2023, 5:57 pm

I am looking at a Tokyo-Osaka-Kyoto-Osaka-Tokyo route. Is SMARTEX better than JR Pass for my route? My hotel recommended it. Btw if I make reservation in US now for airport limousine, Smartex/JR Pass in Japan, will those transactions be subject to foreign transactions fees? Thanks!
Old Feb 20, 2023, 6:18 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Minami Alps are great.

I bet you have Inuyama Indigo in mind, right? I'll be there next week.

Nara is also an easy day trip from Nagoya.

FYI: I don't think anyone actually says the "west coast" when discussing Japan (thought perhaps people in Kyushu could).
Old Feb 21, 2023, 9:03 am
vyc

Totally understand what you mean by not doing too many places for a short trip, but I gotta say Takayama and Shirakawa-Go were amazing and really worth the trip. Kamikochi is also beautiful but probably too far out of the way given your itinerary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.