Search

Former PM Abe Assassinated

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2022, 9:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Former PM Abe Assassinated

At around 11:30am during a speech in Nara ahead of Sunday's election, Former Japan prime minister Shinzo Abe was shot in the back three times and brought to the hospital without a pulse.

He's not officially dead, but has been pronounced 心肺停止.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 9:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I guess they haven't given up on him yet. He's been placed in a doctor's helicopter to take him to a bigger hospital.
Old Jul 7, 2022, 11:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
This is terrible. I hope he pulls through.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 1:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by hailstorm
At around 11:30am during a speech in Nara ahead of Sunday's election, Former Japan prime minister Shinzo Abe was shot in the back three times and brought to the hospital without a pulse.

He's not officially dead, but has been pronounced 心肺停止.
How can you say Abe has been assassinated when he's not pronounced dead?
Old Jul 8, 2022, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lsquare
How can you say Abe has been assassinated when he's not pronounced dead?
When you hear that and create a post accordingly, and then hear differently, but don't have the access to change the post title.

Though I fear it will be correct eventually.
jerry a. laska likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 1:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When you hear that and create a post accordingly, and then hear differently, but don't have the access to change the post title.

I'm now under the impression that the Japanese call things differently. At this moment, Abe is in "critical condition". I'm not sure if that means the same thing in the US.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lsquare
At this moment, Abe is in "critical condition".
Nobody in Japan is calling it "critical condition". They are using terms like 心肺停止 or 深刻な状態, that some people are translating to English as "critical condition" even though it's not perfectly analagous.
jmw and lsquare like this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nobody in Japan is calling it "critical condition". They are using terms like 心肺停止 or 深刻な状態, that some people are translating to English as "critical condition" even though it's not perfectly analagous.
I'm just telling you what's being reported on CNN, WaPo, and the New York Times! I don't know any Japanese.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 1:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Pretty shocking, for Japan. I don’t recall them having much gun violence. We probably have more in a day than they have in years.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
Pretty shocking, for Japan. I don’t recall them having much gun violence. We probably have more in a day than they have in years.
I think I just read Japan had something like 10 shootings last year with like 15 people dead. The US is definitely way more violent than any other civilized country.
davedeboston, becks1 and FabCW like this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 1:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
The guy had to literally build his own gun to do this. Not like a 3D printed thing, but a real MacGyver job.
wrp96 and becks1 like this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 1:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The guy had to literally build his own gun to do this. Not like a 3D printed thing, but a real MacGyver job.
I saw the picture. I was actually thinking of MacGyver as well! I'm surprised the assailant actually shot Abe twice with his "gun".
Old Jul 8, 2022, 2:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

TV Asahi had some amateur footage of the attack itself. The guy got really close to Abe. I think he was about five meters away with his first shot, and then walked closer still and was about three or four meters away when he fired the second. He probably had to be that close to make contact with that crappy gun of his.

Can you imagine someone being able to just walk up within 10 feet behind Bill Clinton while he was giving a campaign speech for Hillary? With a gun??
Old Jul 8, 2022, 2:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TV Asahi had some amateur footage of the attack itself. The guy got really close to Abe. I think he was about five meters away with his first shot, and then walked closer still and was about three or four meters away when he fired the second. He probably had to be that close to make contact with that crappy gun of his.

Can you imagine someone being able to just walk up within 10 feet behind Bill Clinton while he was giving a campaign speech for Hillary? With a gun??
There's a video on YouTube showing the shooting. The suspect got really close, but it's probably necessary for his homemade gun. I find campaigning to be much different in other parts of the world. With guns being so easily accessible, security for the presidential candidates will be different.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2022, 2:26 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite

Japanese police/EMTs won't pronounce dead at the scene, they say cardiac arrest. A doctor has to make the determination at the hospital.
LETTERBOY and MSPeconomist like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.