Reload this Page >

Former PM Abe Assassinated

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Former PM Abe Assassinated

Search this Thread

Old Jul 18, 2022, 11:38 pm

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Accused Abe assassin attempted suicide 17 yrs ago to trigger insurance payout to siblings

This has to be the most sympathetic assassin I've ever heard of.
Seems there are lessons to be learned even in tragedy.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Civic group asks court to halt state funeral for ex-PM Abe

A group of 50 people, including civic group members, asked a Tokyo court on Thursday to issue an injunction ordering a stop to a state funeral for slain former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.

The request to the Tokyo District Court, coming on the eve of a Cabinet decision to hold the rare funeral likely on Sept. 27, seeks to halt use of the national budget if the Cabinet goes ahead with the plan.

It would only be the second state funeral for a former prime minister in postwar Japan, and the opposition camp has expressed concerns that the funeral, to be fully funded by the government, could be used to cement the legacy of the divisive figure.

"There are voices within society and the opposition parties that are against holding a state funeral," Masamichi Tanaka, head of the civic group's secretariat, said during a press conference in Tokyo. "It should be discussed in parliament."

The civic group, which aims to monitor abuse of power by authorities, also plans to file a lawsuit against the use of taxpayer money for the planned funeral.
alan11 likes this.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 6:44 pm

Opposition launches probe into lawmakers' links to Unification Church
The opposition Japanese Communist Party on Thursday launched a probe into lawmakers' ties to the Unification Church after the assassination of former Prime Minister Shinzo Abe shed light on such ties, including those involving ruling Liberal Democratic Party members.

At the first meeting of the JCP's investigative team, Akira Koike, head of the party's Secretariat, said cases of "collusion" between lawmakers, including those from the LDP, and the religious group have been brought to light.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 6:47 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by hailstorm
This has to be the most sympathetic assassin I've ever heard of.
I'd say that distinction still belongs to John Bellingham.
Old Jul 21, 2022, 7:38 pm

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by rustykettel
I'd say that distinction still belongs to John Bellingham.
Sympathetic? His home town remembers him as "failed businessman who blamed government for his problems."
If that's what your homies are saying about you ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_B...ham_plaque.png
Old Jul 21, 2022, 10:07 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by jib71
Sympathetic? His home town remembers him as "failed businessman who blamed government for his problems."
If that's what your homies are saying about you ...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_B...ham_plaque.png
The people who erected that are hardly "his" homies.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 2:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Surprised I haven't really seen much discussion about this, but there was an assassination attempt on Kishida yesterday. Suspect tossed an explosive device (smoke bomb according to most reports) at Kishida, which one of the security detail knocked away and pushed Kishida to safety. This was in a large crowd. The bomb went off a minute later, and the suspect was taken in to custody, appears thankfully nobody was injured. https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-65284306
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 4:16 pm

Programs: Air Bukovina Elite, Circassian Air Gold, Carthaginian Airlines Platinum
The Kishida incident is a very significant one given that a prominent Japanese political leader (and former PM) was recently assassinated. Of course it is newsworthy and merits discussion.
LETTERBOY and seigex like this.

Last edited by armagebedar; Apr 20, 2023 at 2:38 am Reason: removed quote of deleted post
Old Apr 16, 2023, 4:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by TravellingChris
The Kishida incident is a very significant one given that a prominent Japanese political leader (and former PM) was recently assassinated. Of course it is newsworthy and merits discussion.
Definitely. Though political strife in Japan almost certainly won't affect tourists, it's still worth knowing about for someone who might want to visit a PM speech while they're traveling if one happens in the area they are traveling. Also there are a lot of expats, citizens, and frequently travelers in this forum.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by TravellingChris
Already brought up and already had another angle of its significance downplayed here:
G7 Summit Japan May 2023 - Impact on Travel?

Back in 2002 during my first ever visit to Japan I went to a huge electronics trade show and witlessly found myself standing a few short meters away from the then Crown Prince (now Emperor). Not so long later, on their first trip to Japan, my parents came across the current Crown Prince and his wife in Hiroshima.

What struck me about the footage of the crowd (presumably) waiting to see PM Kishida at the time of the explosion was how quickly and how willingly so many of them got involved. Certain politicians/celebrities will draw certain audiences very ready to eye up anyone who looks like they don’t belong or is acting suspiciously.
seigex likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2023, 11:58 pm

Programs: Air Bukovina Elite, Circassian Air Gold, Carthaginian Airlines Platinum
Originally Posted by LapLap
Already brought up and already had another angle of its significance downplayed here:
G7 Summit Japan May 2023 - Impact on Travel?

Back in 2002 during my first ever visit to Japan I went to a huge electronics trade show and witlessly found myself standing a few short meters away from the then Crown Prince (now Emperor). Not so long later, on their first trip to Japan, my parents came across the current Crown Prince and his wife in Hiroshima.

What struck me about the footage of the crowd (presumably) waiting to see PM Kishida at the time of the explosion was how quickly and how willingly so many of them got involved. Certain politicians/celebrities will draw certain audiences very ready to eye up anyone who looks like they don’t belong or is acting suspiciously.
The reason that many bystanders were on the alert or got involved in the incident is because Abe's assassination is fresh in Japanese minds.
LETTERBOY likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.