Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System (EFRS) Discussion (was: Japan opening up)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 10, 2022, 7:22 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: etgohomeok
UPDATE Sept. 22, 2022: JAPAN WILL NO LONGER REQUIRE VISAS AS OF OCTOBER 11, 2022. As of October 11, Japan will resume visa-free entry to nationals from qualifying countries. Individuals traveling to Japan after this date DO NOT need to obtain an ERFS and visa to enter the country for individual tourism. The information below is for posterity and/or people who wish to travel to Japan prior to this change going into effect.

UPDATE Sept. 12, 2022: News media is reporting rumors of an imminent announcement which may include the reinstatement of visa waivers. Such an announcement would make most of the information below obsolete. Travelers who do not need visas immediately are advised to wait until we know more.

Overview

Until further notice, a visa is required from all foreigners to enter Japan. The visa-waiver program which previously allowed visa-free entry to nationals from certain countries has been suspended. In order to obtain a visa, a receiving agency must sponsor your application by issuing you an ERFS (Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System) certificate. ERFS certificates may be issued for a variety of reasons, including tourism, in which case a licensed travel agency must sponsor your visa application.

Tourism

As of September 7, 2022, tourists may enter Japan on unguided, unaccompanied tours as long as they are sponsored by a travel agency who arranges their flights and accommodations and acts as a point of contact for the duration of their stay in the country in the event of issues including a COVID infection. Some official documents from the Japanese government have attempted to clarify this policy (and, most notably, what it means for a receiving agency to "arrange" flights and accommodations), however in practice it has been left up to the interpretation of the sponsoring agencies. Due to the lack of clarity, there is a range of interpretations with some agencies insisting on purchasing all airfare and hotel reservations on behalf of the traveler, with others allowing travelers to keep their existing reservations as long as they share the details with them. The exact offerings and pricing from specific agencies is changing rapidly, consult this thread for the latest information.

As of now there have been no reports of denied visas or entry into the country from anyone who had a valid ERFS from a legitimate travel agency. Individuals from Australia have reported difficulties booking visa appointments, so Aussies may want to contact their local consulate and ensure they can do so before paying for a tour package/ERFS.

Visa Application and Arrival Process

The following roughly outlines the steps for obtaining a visa and entering the country:
  1. First, the traveler must obtain an ERFS certificate from their sponsoring agency. Who issues the ERFS depends on the reason for entering the country (business travelers should obtain it from the company they are visiting, tourists should obtain it from a travel agency who is arranging their visit, etc.). The ERFS certificate is a one-page document summarizing key information about the traveler and their sponsor. An example of an ERFS certificate is provided here.
  2. Once the ERFS is obtained, travelers must apply for a visa from their local Japanese consulate. Travelers from some countries (currently only the USA and Canada) may apply for an eVisa online. This process is faster and easier than physically visiting a consulate so it is recommended for anyone who has access to it.
  3. Visitors who are fully vaccinated with three doses of approved vaccine do not need to obtain a COVID test prior to traveling to Japan. A primary series consisting of one dose of J&J/Janssen is treated as two doses for the purpose of meeting these criteria (see here). Vaccination information should be submitted using the MySOS app and travelers should ensure they have a "blue screen" in the app prior to boarding their flight. Information available here.

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: What other documents are required for the visa application? Do I need an itinerary document?
A: For an eVisa application you only need to submit your ERFS and passport. No other supporting documentation is necessary. In-person applications may ask for more documentation and you should verify what documents are required with your local consulate.

Q: What documents are required to board a plane and enter the country?
A: Travelers who have reported their experiences have said they were asked to show their MySOS "blue screen" and their visa/eVisa by both the airline (prior to boarding their flight) and by customs (after landing in Japan). If you have an eVisa, make sure you can load the digital version of the actual eVisa website on your phone (not just the PDF) in Japan over data or WiFi, because these have a rotating QR code.

Q: What if I don't want to stay at a hotel and want to stay at a friend's house/Airbnb/couch-surfing/etc.?
A: Current tourism guidelines suggest that a travel agency is supposed to "arrange accommodations" for your time in Japan. As such, you should contact your travel agency to ask them what types of accommodations in Japan they will allow. It is advisable to book a hotel in Japan for at least your first night in the country prior to applying for a visa since the visa application asks for this information. Note that hotels in Japan are currently very cheap, especially with the weakened Yen.

Q: What if I'm not traveling for (x) amount of time? When should I get an ERFS and apply for a visa?
A: Visas are only valid for 90 days after they are issued, so you should wait until your trip is at least within the next three months. There is also a good chance that the Japanese government will move to further relax entry requirements (including, possibly, re-instating the visa-waiver program which would make this entire process obsolete) in the coming months, so you should wait until your individual planning process requires you to have some assurance that you'll be able to enter the country. We may also see more competition among travel agencies offering bare-bones tour packages in the coming weeks, which could drive prices down.

Print Wikipost

Entrants, Returnees Follow-up System (EFRS) Discussion (was: Japan opening up)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 31, 2022, 7:16 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
I’ve emailed J-G-A asking them how detailed an itinerary they need. Hopefully will hear back tomorrow.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 7:21 am

Originally Posted by williamluk
looks like it. This is brand new so no one knows. Do let us know about your experience if you are going ahead.
oh, you do need to go get a visa after this!
It says here (Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan) that the UK (where I am) is part of the 68 countries that are exempt from needing a visa, will one still be required?

https://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/...rt/novisa.html
Old Aug 31, 2022, 7:23 am

Programs: Air Canada A35K, Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by Xenochria
It says here (Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Japan) that the UK (where I am) is part of the 68 countries that are exempt from needing a visa, will one still be required?

https://www.mofa.go.jp/j_info/visit/...rt/novisa.html
See the note at the top of that page: "But the arrangements have been suspended for the time being, except for shaded countries/regions, as a border control measures against novel coronavirus (COVID-19)."
Kishiwada likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 7:37 am

Originally Posted by etgohomeok
See the note at the top of that page: "But the arrangements have been suspended for the time being, except for shaded countries/regions, as a border control measures against novel coronavirus (COVID-19)."
Oh dammit, of course. Thank you.

Looks like there's a new process coming on Friday.
"In light of this situation, we are going to change the way you apply for/collect visas. We will announce the new process on our website by 2 September."

https://www.uk.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_...ment_only.html
Old Aug 31, 2022, 7:40 am

Programs: Free agent
Wait, so I just have to pay 20k yen on this site, provide a rough itinerary and I can enter Japan as a tourist? Is that seriously it?

https://www.j-g-a.org/erfs.html
Wow, this is exactly what I was hoping for. Thank you all for the great info in this thread!
Old Aug 31, 2022, 7:40 am

Oh dammit, of course. Thank you.

Looks like there's a new process coming on Friday.
"In light of this situation, we are going to change the way you apply for/collect visas. We will announce the new process on our website by 2 September."

https://www.uk.emb-japan.go.jp/itpr_...ment_only.html
Could be that they're adding the UK to the e-Visa system (which is currently only online for US/Canada nationals). Fingers crossed for you that's the case!
Old Aug 31, 2022, 8:29 am

Programs: JMB
Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
Wow, this is exactly what I was hoping for. Thank you all for the great info in this thread!
I'm pretty sure prices will fall soon if this is all the "travel agency" has to provide. 20k sure is acceptable for some people, but if you are travelling with company, this gets expensive very fast.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 8:52 am

Going to wait til the 2nd of Sep for the "new visa system" for the UK Japan embassy opens as above, then buy the ERFS through JGA and hopefully that should be it, I'll be going to Japan as a tourist in November at last.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 9:38 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
I went ahead and requested a visa for entering on 10/31 through JGA, with the yen prices what they are right now it was $144. It's possible the price will drop or go away before then but given how hard it is to find availability for ANA awards, and with the fuel price surcharge changes on awards, I don't want to risk that I wait too long, and it hits the 50k cap or something and I have to try and rebook my flight. I'll let you all know how it goes.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by McG
I’ve emailed J-G-A asking them how detailed an itinerary they need. Hopefully will hear back tomorrow.
I just paid the fee for myself +1 and completed the eVisa application for both of us. Will keep folks updated. Anyone know how long the eVisa should take to process assuming everything is OK and I didn't just flush 40k yen down the toilet?

All I provided was flight and hotel info. JGA did not ask for any details beyond that. This is for just a 2 day stopover which I already had booked.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by XUEC
I just paid the fee for myself +1 and completed the eVisa application for both of us. Will keep folks updated. Anyone know how long the eVisa should take to process assuming everything is OK and I didn't just flush 40k yen down the toilet?

All I provided was flight and hotel info. JGA did not ask for any details beyond that. This is for just a 2 day stopover which I already had booked.
they claim within a day, so I guess we'll find out by tomorrow
Old Aug 31, 2022, 9:55 am

Programs: US, LH, HH
Originally Posted by seigex
I went ahead and requested a visa for entering on 10/31 through JGA, with the yen prices what they are right now it was $144. It's possible the price will drop or go away before then but given how hard it is to find availability for ANA awards, and with the fuel price surcharge changes on awards, I don't want to risk that I wait too long, and it hits the 50k cap or something and I have to try and rebook my flight. I'll let you all know how it goes.
The 50k cap limits how many flights can be sold, if you already have one booked, you don't need to worry about it. I'd double check that the flight is actually happening with the class you booked though.

Originally Posted by XUEC
The FAQ says it takes 5 working days, reports seems to indicate it goes a bit faster than that.
seigex likes this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by seigex
Did the same. Probably smarter to wait but after two years of waiting if someone dangles a $150 "LET ME IN" button in front of me, I have zero inhibitions preventing me from pressing it.
seigex and Kishiwada like this.
Old Aug 31, 2022, 10:14 am

Programs: Aeroplan
Did the same. Probably smarter to wait but after two years of waiting if someone dangles a $150 "LET ME IN" button in front of me, I have zero inhibitions preventing me from pressing it.
Saaaaame. I just emailed to ask if I can still do some half day tours and just pay the ERFS fee instead. Might still take them up on that private car to and from the airport too...
Old Aug 31, 2022, 10:21 am

You guys should realize that despite submitting your travel plans as well as what JGA may claim to offer, the government has not in fact released all the details for what the non-guided tour downgrade actually requires. No mention of travel insurance requirements, when this program will specifically begin (the Sept 7 date was regarding the 50,000 entry cap), or what would be required of the tour company to comply.

If you do get such an ERFS tomorrow, and you then submit for an eVisa soon after, it'd be bogus and may cause a red flag. You may want to wait until at least they announce the actual conditions for the non-guided tours.
YariGuy and TravisMT81 like this.

Last edited by alan11; Aug 31, 2022 at 10:26 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.