Community
Wiki Posts
Search

different itineraries through NRT

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2022, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

different itineraries through NRT

I'm trying to book tickets to YVR-ICN but its costing hundreds of thousands of points to get to ICN, I found some really affordable flights from YVR-NRT but having problem finding NRT-ICN. I could fly Korean Air from NRT-ICN but a totally different alliance from ANA. Since I will have checked bags, is 2 hours enough to get through everything? Do I need to go through immigration to get bags? I arrive in terminal 1S from YVR and KE flies from terminal 1 as well. I'm hoping that I could just get my bags before customs and stay in the terminal for my flight to ICN but not sure if that's possible. Does anyone have experience flying through NRT and is this possible?
Old May 13, 2022, 2:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
for future reference, there's a thread for this: Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread (Coronavirus edition) - FlyerTalk Forums

If you are on flights from different alliances, the likelihood of you being able to check your bags through is probably low, but you'd have to ask your airline (ANA) to see if they will let you check through on KE.

If you can't check your bags through, then you will not be able to transit unless you have carryon luggage, as tourists are not allowed to enter Japan, and you can't retrieve your bags without entering Japan.

Other rules (which are all talked about ad-nauseum in the thread I linked to above, is no overnight transit at NRT, and you can't switch between airports.

Your only hope would be that Japan opens up before your flight, but that's quite the gamble.

Another caveat to be aware of, is currently there are no flights from Japan to GMP. I know you mentioned ICN, but in case you're also looking at JAL flights from HND/GMP, just be aware that there's no official word on those flights resuming as GMP is still not allowing international arrivals. There's a thread on that in the Korea forum.
Old May 13, 2022, 3:02 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seigex
for future reference, there's a thread for this: Japan Transit/Connection/Layover Master Thread (Coronavirus edition) - FlyerTalk Forums

If you are on flights from different alliances, the likelihood of you being able to check your bags through is probably low, but you'd have to ask your airline (ANA) to see if they will let you check through on KE.

If you can't check your bags through, then you will not be able to transit unless you have carryon luggage, as tourists are not allowed to enter Japan, and you can't retrieve your bags without entering Japan.

Other rules (which are all talked about ad-nauseum in the thread I linked to above, is no overnight transit at NRT, and you can't switch between airports.

Your only hope would be that Japan opens up before your flight, but that's quite the gamble.

Another caveat to be aware of, is currently there are no flights from Japan to GMP. I know you mentioned ICN, but in case you're also looking at JAL flights from HND/GMP, just be aware that there's no official word on those flights resuming as GMP is still not allowing international arrivals. There's a thread on that in the Korea forum.
ah didn't realize Japan wasn't allowing tourists. Yea the flights in a couple weeks so probably not. Honestly can go anywhere in Korea. Busan or Seoul but didn't see any flights to either GMP or Busan. So the only way to realistically make this transfer is if I only have carry ons?
Old May 13, 2022, 3:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by snowboardpunk
ah didn't realize Japan wasn't allowing tourists. Yea the flights in a couple weeks so probably not. Honestly can go anywhere in Korea. Busan or Seoul but didn't see any flights to either GMP or Busan. So the only way to realistically make this transfer is if I only have carry ons?
Since you're talking about points and ANA I'm assuming your points are Star Alliance. Air Canada has direct flights from YVR to ICN, or Asiana from NRT-ICN if you can find one that works with your schedule without staying overnight. HND allows overnight stays, but I don't believe there are any HND-SEL flights at the moment.
Old May 13, 2022, 3:22 pm

NH may have interline agreement with KE, just like they do with JL.
Ive checked bags thru on BR-CX, etc, many times.
But interline agreement does not mean things will go smoothly. Also, if you call and ask KE, you may not get a reliable answer from the phone agent. Safest way is to do carry on only.
And if you’re doing two separate tix, I’d probably allow more than 2hrs to be really on the safe side.
seigex likes this.
Old May 13, 2022, 5:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by seigex
Since you're talking about points and ANA I'm assuming your points are Star Alliance. Air Canada has direct flights from YVR to ICN, or Asiana from NRT-ICN if you can find one that works with your schedule without staying overnight. HND allows overnight stays, but I don't believe there are any HND-SEL flights at the moment.
Yea I would have flown UA through SFO but I don't have UA points as most of my points are amex points. Both ANA and AC arrive in NRT around the same time. and Asiana only has one flight at the same time we arrive.

Originally Posted by evergrn
NH may have interline agreement with KE, just like they do with JL.
Ive checked bags thru on BR-CX, etc, many times.
But interline agreement does not mean things will go smoothly. Also, if you call and ask KE, you may not get a reliable answer from the phone agent. Safest way is to do carry on only.
And if you’re doing two separate tix, I’d probably allow more than 2hrs to be really on the safe side.
ok thanks for the help. Ok this sounds crazy but if I book 3 different tickets all star alliance (2 AC flights and 1 Ethiopian Airlines) would they send my bags all the way through to my final destination? I can buy the last leg with cash and the first two flights are cheap when booked separately but double the cost when booked as one ticket.
Old May 13, 2022, 7:10 pm

Programs: UA
Ok this sounds crazy but if I book 3 different tickets all star alliance (2 AC flights and 1 Ethiopian Airlines) would they send my bags all the way through to my final destination? I can buy the last leg with cash and the first two flights are cheap when booked separately but double the cost when booked as one ticket.
It sounds like your first flight is going to be operated by AC? If so, take a look at Will Air Canada Check Through Baggage On Separate Tickets/PNR (AC-AC or Interline)?
snowboardpunk likes this.
Old May 14, 2022, 2:12 pm

ok thanks for the help. Ok this sounds crazy but if I book 3 different tickets all star alliance (2 AC flights and 1 Ethiopian Airlines) would they send my bags all the way through to my final destination? I can buy the last leg with cash and the first two flights are cheap when booked separately but double the cost when booked as one ticket.
Theoretically AC should be able to.
The fact that Ethiopian is Star certainly doesn’t hurt.
I think you’ll be fine, but it’s not 100%.
I know I’ve gotten a no in this type of situation before, I don’t remember which airline.
I think it ultimately depends on the counter agent you happen to get and whether he/she knows what they’re doing.
Old Jun 2, 2022, 10:33 pm

Connecting flights in Narita

I have two separate tickets connecting in Narita. I am arriving in Narita on July 5th via Sri Lankan airline(T2) and a connecting flight to LAX via Zipair(T1) same day. I initially plan to check in my luggage but after reading the thread, it's not possible without entering Japan. So, if i only have a carry on, would i be able to transfer from T2 to T1 without entering Japan? I can't really get any clear answers from any of the airline agents. Thanks!
Old Apr 1, 2023, 12:46 am

On the Zipair website, it says it is required to go through immigration and enter Japan. Can you tell me if you had to enter Japan and how long did immigration take?
Old Apr 1, 2023, 3:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by mikepan
On the Zipair website, it says it is required to go through immigration and enter Japan. Can you tell me if you had to enter Japan and how long did immigration take?

Hi mikepan,

Welcome to flyertalk.

The posts above your relate to pre-october 2022 when entry to Japan was extremely restricted.
Since then you can enter Japan ( easier if you are vaccinated)
I'm not familiar with Zipair but if you post your itineary here , more appropriate advice can be given

Regards

TBS

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.