Wiki Posts
Search

Narita fast track

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2023, 5:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Thai Airways
Narita fast track

Arrived at Narita on 19th March afternoon on TG 1st class. There is no priority immigration for business or first class passengers (same as the last 15 years), so almost an hour from disembarking to exiting. Does anyone know why there is no priority immigration.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 11:27 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Narita had VIP lanes in 2016. I don't know if they stopped, when they stopped, or why ...
https://www.sankei.com/article/20160...MN46IPNYA62TA/

I read in another thread that registration for Japan's Trusted Traveler Program (TTP) re-opened recently:
https://www.isa.go.jp/en/publication...ine_index.html
Old Mar 23, 2023, 11:34 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by jib71
Narita had VIP lanes in 2016. I don't know if they stopped, when they stopped, or why ...
https://www.sankei.com/article/20160...MN46IPNYA62TA/

I read in another thread that registration for Japan's Trusted Traveler Program (TTP) re-opened recently:
https://www.isa.go.jp/en/publication...ine_index.html
TTP has indeed reopened you need at least one prior entry within the 12 months before showing up to do your secondary inspection. I resubmitted my application (using US Global Entry as a basis), and it was approved within 8 days. I'll be picking up my card on a mileage run there in a few weeks. You can also get it by having a platinum credit card, but I've read it takes longer for approval, if you get approved.
Old Mar 23, 2023, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Thread lateral hijack alert! This TTP thing looks interesting. If one has an APEC card, is TTP just overkill?
Old Mar 23, 2023, 1:30 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles
Thread lateral hijack alert! This TTP thing looks interesting. If one has an APEC card, is TTP just overkill?
I'm not familiar with the APEC card, but I do know that the TTP card acts like a zairyu card for identification purposes, so no need to carry your passport with you everywhere. Not sure if APEC gives you that ability.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 2:37 am

Does anyone know what classifies as ‘platinum or higher status’?

i currently have a debit card with ‘platinum’ written on it but no credit card. ‘world elite’, ‘signature’, ‘premier’, ‘sapphire’ etc. all feature.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 8:32 am

Originally Posted by oldfolky
Does anyone know what classifies as ‘platinum or higher status’?

i currently have a debit card with ‘platinum’ written on it but no credit card. ‘world elite’, ‘signature’, ‘premier’, ‘sapphire’ etc. all feature.
I've never seen any description of what they consider platinum or higher, nor many test cases. Obviously AMEX Platinum would work, but as far as chase sapphire reserve or World Elite MC, you would have to submit and see if you are accepted or rejected.

EDIT: found a FAQ entry for what qualifies as platinum:

Q5. For the registration requirements for Category D (Sufficient Funds and Credit), I have a credit card with platinum or higher status, but no word like "platinum" is shown on the face or name of the card. Will I meet the registration requirements for Category D (Sufficient Funds and Credit).

A: If the status of your credit card is platinum or higher, please apply for user registration even if the word "platinum" is not shown on the face or name of the card. After inspection, we will inform you of whether or not you are eligible to register as a user in this category.

Last edited by seigex; Mar 24, 2023 at 9:03 am
Old Mar 24, 2023, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
I haven't had an APEC card in years -- but in those times it was just a special line for immigration in the foreign section. TTP allows you to use the Japanese citizen e-gates and bypass all the lines....
Old Mar 24, 2023, 8:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
I haven't had an APEC card in years -- but in those times it was just a special line for immigration in the foreign section. TTP allows you to use the Japanese citizen e-gates and bypass all the lines....
With the APEC card I usually can go through the crew/diplomat/APEC lane, which is very quick. My objective with the TTP would be the same, although it seems TTP is another level ahead of APEC. I'll apply, why not.
seigex likes this.
Old Mar 24, 2023, 8:12 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
With the APEC card I usually can go through the crew/diplomat/APEC lane, which is very quick. My objective with the TTP would be the same, although it seems TTP is another level ahead of APEC. I'll apply, why not.
To me at least it is light years better now -- the line for returning foreign residents / APEC / diplomats has been very long lately -- while the automated gates are always empty... Now that TTP has reopened I'm waiting for approval -- since I'm there every other month and now that Chinese are welcome I'm tired of the lines....
seigex likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 9:29 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
One issue is that the APEC card is issued only to business travelers. Non-business travelers (e.g. tourists, family visits, etc) can get TTP as long as they are US citizens with Global Entry and the required prior entry to Japan within 12 months.
Old Mar 25, 2023, 10:14 pm

I applied a couple days ago - hoping it's processed ahead of my flight back to Tokyo early April.
seigex likes this.
Old Mar 26, 2023, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by pesos
I applied a couple days ago - hoping it's processed ahead of my flight back to Tokyo early April.
good luck!
Old Mar 26, 2023, 6:40 pm

If you use TTP that means you don't get a physical visa stamp in your passport right? That means no JR Pass or Duty Free?
Old Mar 26, 2023, 6:49 pm

Originally Posted by Angusgor
If you use TTP that means you don't get a physical visa stamp in your passport right? That means no JR Pass or Duty Free?
In the past that was the case, you'd have to go through an immigration agent if you needed the temp visitor visa stamp, the new system it prints it on the back of your TTP card as you pass through the gate, up to 15 visas will fit, and you can use your card for any places you need it, like tax free and JR pass.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.