Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Air Canada | Aeroplan
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Will Air Canada Check Through Baggage On Separate Tickets/PNR (AC-AC or Interline)?

FAQ: Will Air Canada Check Through Baggage On Separate Tickets/PNR (AC-AC or Interline)?

Old Feb 16, 11, 8:43 pm
Original Poster

Will Air Canada Check Through Baggage On Separate Tickets/PNR (AC-AC or Interline)?

Will Air Canada check through baggage on separate tickets/PNR (AC-AC or Interline)?

In general, yes as per this post of Andrew Yiu (AC employee) from 2009.

Originally Posted by Andrew Yiu View Post
We've recently modified our baggage rules - even if you're on 2 seperate tickets, as long as we have an interline baggage agreement with the other carrier, we will be able to tag your bag(s) all the way through to the final destination.
There continues to be confusion on this subject as in 2006 AC implemented a policy where this would not be allowed; by the above quote this policy has been reversed.

Note that there may be some instances where AC cannot check the bags through (whether on separate tickets or not). From AC's website:

Passengers whose travel involves connecting flights on other carriers should enquire at the airport check-in counter whether they may check their bags to their final destination, or whether they must claim their luggage at the connection point and check it in again when connecting to another flight.
AC's interline partners (both Star Alliance and non-Star Alliance) are as follows (this list assumes that there is an interline baggage agreement for all interline eticket partners; this list also appears to be somewhat dated):

Star Alliance Interline E-Ticket Partners

JP Adria Airways
CA Air China
NZ Air New Zealand
NH All Nippon Airways
OZ Asiana Airlines
OS Austrian Airlines
KF Blue One
BD British Midland
SN Brussels Airlines
CO Continental
OU Croatia Airlines
MS Egyptair
LO Lot Polish Airlines
LH Lufthansa
SK Scandinavian Airlines
FM Shanghai Airlines
SQ Singapore Airlines
SA South African Airways
JK Spanair
LX Swiss International Airlines
TP Tap Portugal
TG Thai Airways
TK THY Turkish Airlines
UA United Airlines
US US Airways

Non-Star Interline E-Ticket Partners

SU Aeroflot Russian Airlines
AM Aero Mexico
YN Air Creebec
AF Air France
AI Air India
JM Air Jamaica
MK Air Mauritius
AP Air One
TN Air Tahiti Nui
AS Alaska Air
AZ Alitalia
HP America West
AA American Airlines
AV Avianca
JV Bearskin Airlines
BG Biman Bangladesh Airlines
BA British Airways
5T Canadian North
BW Caribbean Airways
CX Cathay Pacific
KX Cayman Airlines
9M Central Mountain Air
CZ China Southern Airlines
SS Corsair
OK Czech Air
DL Delta Airlines
KA Dragonair
EK Emirates
ET Ethiopian Air
BR Eva Airways
7F First Air
GF Gulf Air
HA Hawaiian Airlines
IB Iberia
FI Icelandair
IR Iran Air
JO JALways Airlines
JL Japan Airlines
9W Jet Airways
KQ Kenya Airlines
KL KLM
KE Korean Airlines
KU Kuwait Air
LR Lasca
LA Lan Chile
LA Lapsa
LI LIAT
MH Malaysian Airlines
MA Malev Airlines
MX Mexicana
ME Middle East Airlines
NW Northwest Airlines
PR Philippine Airlines
QR Qatar Airways
QF Qantas Airways
RJ Royal Jordanian
SV Saudi Arabian Airlines
UL SriLankan Airlines
JJ Tam Linhas Aereas
TA TAM Mercosur
VN Vietnam Airlines
VS Virgin Atlantic Airways
WF Wideroe
IY Yemenia Yemen Airways
Of course this only applies for AC to AC or AC to other airline connections. If you would like to know if another airline will check bags through to Air Canada, please go the the appropriate airline's forum/website and check for the other airline's baggage policy.

MODS - would you please add this thread to the FAQ sticky?
Old Feb 16, 11, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Reserved for future use (if required)
Old Feb 17, 11, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-PlatLife, BA-Gold, SPG-LTP, HL-DIA
Ticketing agreements have nothing to do with baggage interlining.. that's a seperate issue..
Old Aug 26, 11, 3:18 pm

Appreciate assistance from anyone for a link at www.aircanada.ca or reliable source for a list of airlines with interline baggage arrangements with AC?

More specifically, non Star Alliance airlines.

Many thanks.
Old May 30, 12, 10:53 pm

Programs: LH SEN, VA Plat, BA Gold
Apologies for resurrecting such an old thread up, but I have a quick question regarding AC interlining with MH. I see on the list above that they have an e-ticket interlining arrangement with MH;

So, If I were to book a ticket with AC, and one with MH (YVR-NRT-SIN-KUL-PER), will the check-in agent in YVR be able to tag my bag all the way to Perth?
Thank you in advance,
Daniel.
Old May 30, 12, 11:03 pm

Programs: AC SE100K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by im.daniel View Post
Apologies for resurrecting such an old thread up, but I have a quick question regarding AC interlining with MH. I see on the list above that they have an e-ticket interlining arrangement with MH;

So, If I were to book a ticket with AC, and one with MH (YVR-NRT-SIN-KUL-PER), will the check-in agent in YVR be able to tag my bag all the way to Perth?
Thank you in advance,
Daniel.
Yes, you should be able to. Just show the GA your onward booking so they can set it up properly.
Old May 31, 12, 12:53 am

Programs: AC SE
Originally Posted by im.daniel View Post
Apologies for resurrecting such an old thread up,
No apology is needed -- this thread is important. I am thankful that YEG USER posted this thread in the first place since it improved our international travel quite a bit. Did baggage interlining on seperate tickets last month, and doing it twice more in the next month ^

I wish AC (and other airlines) would do a better job showing their baggage interlining policy to their customers.

Airlines should explain this seperately from ticket interlining, which includes the idea of buying an AC ticket YYZ-LHR-AMS with 2nd leg operated by BA. Yes, bags do go all the way to AMS, but the baggage interlining is a side effect of not ruining the customer experience. Of course your bags go through, like duh. YEG USER's list shows the "ticket interline" list from the AC site; carefully says there are other factors.

Baggage interlining also includes "At the check-in counter, can I show a second follow-on ticket for some other airline, and then check my bags through to final destination?"

That is what many people want when they say baggage interlining, and the airlines are doing a poor job explaining this. Maybe it is because there is a potential profit loss if more people do these (unprotected) ticket purchases and yet still have acceptable baggage experiences.

The baggage interline agreement list is not in YEG USER's post, unfortunately. Airlines do not typically publish that list. You have to ask, for each case. In general, you can assume the major airlines interline with major airlines, at major hubs.

Alternatively, you can send a PM to the representatives of those airlines on FT, which is what I do. Quite often their phone agents don't know the truth.

but I have a quick question regarding AC interlining with MH. I see on the list above that they have an e-ticket interlining arrangement with MH;
MH is a big enough airline, and if AC has it on the their e-ticket interline list, it will probably work out. On a seperate ticket, it might not work the other way around. It depends on the policies MH has towards AC. Apparently the agreements are not neccesarily reciprocal, and this may affect your journey in the other direction. It seems they can also vary at different hubs, and even more so at out-stations of an airline...

For instance, AC has a baggage interline policy with LAN, but they may or may not not check your bags further through, for instance to CUZ. LAN (Peru) seems to have no such policy back (or it is simply incompetence), and will definately not check your bags through on the return onto AC. Incompetence? Out-station inablity? IT problems? Security problems? We'll never know.

So, if I were to book a ticket with AC, and one with MH (YVR-NRT-SIN-KUL-PER), will the check-in agent in YVR be able to tag my bag all the way to Perth?
I think so. Until all the airlines improve their game, you will have to ask both of them to be certain.
Old Jun 20, 12, 8:16 am

Programs: AC SE
Careful at intermediate hops

Last week we baggage interlined between an AC ticket and a LX ticket, with LHR
as the connecting airport.

At LHR, on a whim, I checked at the transfer desk if our luggage would make it.

That turned out to be a very lucky move! LX had not received any of the information for our baggage! It was quickly fixed. The agent stated our bags would not have made it. Yikes!

On the return flight, I showed our baggage tags to an AC agent just to be sure.
There was a bit of typing.......

From now on I will always mistrust this process, and be proactive when I can find a responsive agent.
Old Sep 20, 12, 9:52 am

I'm flying YYZ-JFK on AC, followed by JFK-SIN on SQ on two separately-bought tickets. I've heard stories about FTers successfully checking their baggages through between AC & SQ on two separate tickets. But, since AC started flying to JFK only recently, I'm wondering if the baggage handling is already integrated & seamless (i.e. I can tag the baggage all the way to SIN).

Any inputs on this would be much appreciated.
Old Sep 20, 12, 6:30 pm

Programs: Aeroplan,Alaska,Airmiles
I will be traveling from YYJ- YVR on a paid ticket then starting a reward trip out of YVR-NCE with a few stops on the way. I would like to have the bags checked through. I am not sure if this would be possible or a good idea because of my routing, YVR-ORD-BRU-FRA-NCE. I know that there are only so many spots on the baggage tag. Would I just be asking for trouble trying to interline bags on top of so many legs? Thanks in advance!
Old Dec 19, 12, 4:23 pm

Apologies for digging up an old thread but it looks like the right place to ask this question.

I have a question about interlining baggage from AC to BA to EI.

I have a tight connection from YYJ to YVR (AC) going on to LHR (BA) and SNN (EI) this weekend. In the past AC in YYJ have not been able to check my bags through from YYJ to SNN, instead i had to pick up the bags in YVR and drop them at the BA desk (BA can check through to SNN).

This time i have very little time in YVR (1 hour - BA website only gave one option for the connection from YYJ when booking) and would really like if i could check the bags all the way through.

I did find this http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-canada-aeroplan/1389873-air-canada-aer-lingus-sign-interline-agreement-3.html which is new since i last flew this route. I was wondering if this might have an impact?

The whole trip is a single booking, booked through BA (i have already discussed options for the tight connection on the BA forum)

Last edited by bcleary; Dec 19, 12 at 4:26 pm Reason: transposed CA for AC
Old Dec 19, 12, 8:46 pm

Programs: AC SE*MM/S100K; HHonors Diamond; a bunch of others at various levels!
In my experience, interlining doesn't always work. While AC was willing to check my bags on two separate tickets YOW-YYZ-FCO-MXP (AC and AZ carriers), on the return AZ absolutely refused to even consider the fact I had a second ticket. The bags and I were only going as far as FCO as far as AZ was concerned.
Old Dec 20, 12, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by GJS - yow View Post
In my experience, interlining doesn't always work. While AC was willing to check my bags on two separate tickets YOW-YYZ-FCO-MXP (AC and AZ carriers), on the return AZ absolutely refused to even consider the fact I had a second ticket. The bags and I were only going as far as FCO as far as AZ was concerned.
Thanks GJS - yow will attempt it anyway and see how i get on. Will update this thread with what i learn. My current plan is to show up at YYJ early and attempt to get on an earlier flight, Expert Flyer shows some availability and Air Canada have put me on earlier flights before so hopefully i wont even have to test the interlining issue.
Old Dec 20, 12, 11:53 am

Programs: UA 1K, AC nadda, DL, WS-Nadda
AC did it for me the other day. Was flying YTZ, YUL,ORD,LAX, last legs on UA. Misconnected in YUL. Re-booked, YUL, (AC) EWR,LAX (UA). At my request AC added my final dest SLC onto the tags. The last leg was UA, on a separate ticket. I had to provide flight and PNR.
Old Jan 3, 13, 7:56 am

Just an update on my experience interlining bags from YYJ - YVR- LHR - SNN. Everything worked well, AC in YYJ were able to check bags all the way through. Still had to run in YVR to make my connection but didn't have to re-check the bags and was able to stay air-side. Just a note even though AC were able to check the bags through they were not able to give me boarding passes for the YVR - LHR - SNN legs with BA but i was able to get these at the gate from BA in YVR.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: