Search

ANA vs United (Business) : LAX - Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2022, 5:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan / United / Hyatt / Delta
Question ANA vs United (Business) : LAX - Tokyo

Greetings!

I'm looking for reviews from peers regarding ANA vs United in business class for LAX to Tokyo. Both flights would be in Boeing 787.

How has your experience been with them?
Old Jan 9, 2022, 1:36 am
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
If United's aircraft has Polaris seats, then I'd give a slight edge to UA in that department. Although, both are all aisle 1-2-1 seating. If it's not Polaris, then it's 2-2-2 seating and I'd recommend against it, especially given that we're still living in COVID times.

Service and meal wise, there's no comparison. UA is dreadful, particularly as a result of their scaled back meal quality after the pandemic hit. Even if you take ANA's redeye flight (with reduced service, including meals which is a "light supper"), it's still far superior. ANA's lavs are always spotlessly clean (the FAs actually clean them frequently), and they're far more graceful and show finesse in a way that no U.S.-based carrier can compete with.

Entertainment wise - if you want to enjoy Japanese movies, then ANA has a better selection. But UA isn't too shabby in that department, and in terms of Hollywood flicks they definitely have the edge.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 2:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: Aeroplan / United / Hyatt / Delta
Originally Posted by KI-NRT
If United's aircraft has Polaris seats, then I'd give a slight edge to UA in that department. Although, both are all aisle 1-2-1 seating. If it's not Polaris, then it's 2-2-2 seating and I'd recommend against it, especially given that we're still living in COVID times.

Service and meal wise, there's no comparison. UA is dreadful, particularly as a result of their scaled back meal quality after the pandemic hit. Even if you take ANA's redeye flight (with reduced service, including meals which is a "light supper"), it's still far superior. ANA's lavs are always spotlessly clean (the FAs actually clean them frequently), and they're far more graceful and show finesse in a way that no U.S.-based carrier can compete with.

Entertainment wise - if you want to enjoy Japanese movies, then ANA has a better selection. But UA isn't too shabby in that department, and in terms of Hollywood flicks they definitely have the edge.
Thank you, Looks like ANA is the way to go for my wife and I. Really tough to find two tickets for ANA though!
Old Jan 9, 2022, 4:28 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
During the pandemic (eg now per UA’s reduced service), their soft product is especially terrible. Meals are not something I partake in anymore in Polaris and the lounge is closed at SFO. Guessing LAX too if there is one. Hard product the newer US J seats are short and narrow. NH are too but their soft product is infinitely better. UA flights tend to be much more crowded right. Is due to more transit pax and military going into Japan as well as deadheading pilots. More pax means more Covid risk. NH flights are much lighter generally. I have flown every 6 weeks into Tokyo on UA and NH every month of Covid so I have a lot of datapoints. Feel free to PM with any questions.

BTW by far your best bet is to fly NH F on the 777 which they still run sometimes from LAX and SFO both to Narita (don’t think Haneda anymore just 787 which means no true F). NH F is orders of magnitude better than any UA product globally.
Steve M and roberto99 like this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 7:16 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by ainternational
During the pandemic (eg now per UA’s reduced service), their soft product is especially terrible. Meals are not something I partake in anymore in Polaris and the lounge is closed at SFO. Guessing LAX too if there is one.
Actually, SFO Polaris Lounge reopened earlier this week. LAX is still closed (the last Polaris Lounge not to reopen), but should be open within the next couple of weeks. That being said, UA premium cabin soft product is still heavily cut back while the NH F/J product remains practically unchanged since before COVID.

-FlyerBeek
ainternational likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 9:04 am

Programs: AA, Amex
Originally Posted by flying cochon
Thank you, Looks like ANA is the way to go for my wife and I. Really tough to find two tickets for ANA though!
First - I'd agree with the general sentiment here. I would take ANA over any US carrier on any occasion.

Finding tickets is easy. Finding award tickets - yes, that can be quite challenging avoiding the dreaded "waitlist." Or you could maybe find one ticket as an award and the other paid, some of the west coast flight fares aren't completely ridiculous.
roberto99 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2022, 9:45 am

Programs: AA
Assuming United has the 1-2-1 Polaris seat my experience has been

United has a better selection of English options for IFE
United has a more comfortable seat and bedding

ANA has a more spacious seat
ANA has better food and drink (go for the Japanese options)
ANA has better service
Old Jan 10, 2022, 5:46 am

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Actually, SFO Polaris Lounge reopened earlier this week. LAX is still closed (the last Polaris Lounge not to reopen), but should be open within the next couple of weeks. That being said, UA premium cabin soft product is still heavily cut back while the NH F/J product remains practically unchanged since before COVID.

-FlyerBeek
Very happy to hear this! Was closed when I flew out 2.5 weeks ago and I hadn’t heard about the reopening date. Thanks for the heads up!
Old Jan 10, 2022, 8:10 pm

Programs: UA 1K
If you are looking at award tickets, also keep in mind ANA first class tickets in your searches. Depending on what airline you have points with it can be a very reasonably priced upgrade and sometimes has better award ticket availability than business. It is definitely worth it if you haven't flown international first class before; ANA is supposedly one of the best (and the only one I've flown ).
Old Jan 12, 2022, 4:07 am

Programs: JAL Global Club & oneworld Sapphire, ANA SFC & Star Alliance Gold
Definitely ANA. There is no comparison. ANA blows UA out of the water in every respect. (Except maybe IFE where UA probably has the edge, but IMO the difference is small.)

Last edited by Unimatrix One; Jan 12, 2022 at 4:27 am
Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
ANA blows UA out of the water in every respect. (Except maybe IFE where UA probably has the edge, but IMO the difference is small.)
FWIW, I still prefer the UA Polaris J seat to ANA's older staggered J seat.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 13, 2022, 10:37 pm
Aman Contributor Badge

Programs: UA GS 3MM, NH PLT
+1

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
FWIW, I still prefer the UA Polaris J seat to ANA's older staggered J seat.

-FlyerBeek
Old Jul 8, 2023, 12:53 am

Same question here but in Y. Would you prefer ANA or United in Economy?
Old Jul 8, 2023, 2:19 am
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by pmeye
Same question here but in Y. Would you prefer ANA or United in Economy?
One of the best things you can do to make economy in either more tolerable is take a stopover in SEA. The Westbound flight time to Japan from there is moderately easier to handle.
Old Jul 8, 2023, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by Unimatrix One
Definitely ANA. There is no comparison. ANA blows UA out of the water in every respect. (Except maybe IFE where UA probably has the edge, but IMO the difference is small.)
Can't agree with this.

UA's IFE is much better (obviously if Japanese programming is your bag, ANA does it; however, I do like Japanese '80s music). The UA cabin won't be a furnace. And if there's a customer service issue, UA is better with that (unless of course you're a Japanese businessman on ANA....).

Catering for sure ANA gets the leg up, but for lie-flats, I've had more REM success with UA.

As for flight attendants, hmm. ANA's definitely fawn over their own, whereas UA toadies to basically no one.

Just one silly YouTuber's opinion.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.