Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Good travel stock opportunities/benefits?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2021, 8:27 pm
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta Gold, Accor Gold

With the borders likely to be opening soon and possible restart of the go2travel promotion I've been considering buying some stocks in the hospitality industry. As Japanese stocks often give benefits for buying them, as I've been doing research I've found some hotel ones are much better than others. Not that I would ever buy a stock just because of the benefit but after doing all the due dilligance, if a stock seems promising then it's certainly a nice bonus!

JAL and ANA give discount coupons, I bought both of them when they were below 2000yen and have done well on that so far, but have found the coupons useless unless you need to book on very short notice, usually any kind booking in advance will have a discount which is better than the shareholder ticket.

Just from looking around, most of them just give you vouchers for a certain amount of yen which are so low as to be useless unless you have thousands of shares and I'm not so optimistic as to bet millions of yen on them. Some like Orix and Tokyu give you set preferential rates, and some like Agora, Kyoritsu, and Royal Hotels give you flat percentage discounts, Royal seems to be the most generous with 50% off the rate. I wonder how useful those are though, I assume you have to book a certain type of rate which would barely beat a normal promotional rate even with the discount.

Samty seems to be the "best" with giving free night tickets, 200 shares for 1 voucher and 300 shares for 2, with additional vouchers having much steeper requirements.

Anyone here have experience with using the shareholder benefits or know of any good ones, or just want to chat about stock opportunities for taking advantage of the reopening?
Old Oct 17, 2021, 12:53 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bigmadden
With the borders likely to be opening soon and possible restart of the go2travel promotion I've been considering buying some stocks in the hospitality industry. As Japanese stocks often give benefits for buying them, as I've been doing research I've found some hotel ones are much better than others. Not that I would ever buy a stock just because of the benefit but after doing all the due dilligance, if a stock seems promising then it's certainly a nice bonus!

JAL and ANA give discount coupons, I bought both of them when they were below 2000yen and have done well on that so far, but have found the coupons useless unless you need to book on very short notice, usually any kind booking in advance will have a discount which is better than the shareholder ticket.

Just from looking around, most of them just give you vouchers for a certain amount of yen which are so low as to be useless unless you have thousands of shares and I'm not so optimistic as to bet millions of yen on them. Some like Orix and Tokyu give you set preferential rates, and some like Agora, Kyoritsu, and Royal Hotels give you flat percentage discounts, Royal seems to be the most generous with 50% off the rate. I wonder how useful those are though, I assume you have to book a certain type of rate which would barely beat a normal promotional rate even with the discount.

Samty seems to be the "best" with giving free night tickets, 200 shares for 1 voucher and 300 shares for 2, with additional vouchers having much steeper requirements.

Anyone here have experience with using the shareholder benefits or know of any good ones, or just want to chat about stock opportunities for taking advantage of the reopening?
I'm an ANA shareholder and have experience using the discount coupons you mention. I haven't gotten as much benefit out of them as I would like to but I've used the restaurant discount coupons to get 10-20% off lunch or dinner at ANA Intercontinental Hotels. I haven't used the hotel discount coupons at ANA hotels because I can usually get a better rate as an IHG cardholder (Platinum member) using points or member rates, and of course, you can't combine other discount offers with the coupons. One useful benefit for frequent fliers is the 10% discount you can get at ANA Festa shops in airports where you can buy omiyage, snack food, beer, and some have restaurants with simple dishes like curry rice, noodles, etc. As an ANA Visa cardholder, I can also get this 10% discount without the coupons I get as a shareholder. IIRC, you can also get this discount for ANA inflight purchases as a cardholder but not with the coupons. You really need to be based in Japan to get the full benefit of the discount coupons. As for the benefits of holding stock in the hospitality industry as Japan starts to open up again, it might be good timing, but my wife is the one who bought the stock and tracks it closely; I'm just along for the ride.

Last edited by Nagasaki Joe; Oct 17, 2021 at 1:01 am
Old Oct 17, 2021, 6:10 am

Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
You really need to be based in Japan to get the full benefit of the discount coupons.
Shareholders who are not based in Japan also need to ask if they can even obtain the discount coupons as the shares probably would be deposited in a brokerage account in your home country. If you put foreign shares in a brokerage account, then it seems that you are often anonymous to the company, so the company may have no idea where to send the discount coupons.
Old Oct 17, 2021, 6:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by bigmadden

Good topic.

As you mentioned, a lot of the "discounts" don't pan out to much, but a few have value.

I bought ANA since I figured they had taken a beating but would bounce back. I agree the discount is not the greatest, and I fly for much less on Sky Mark if I get an advanced purchase. I will be getting a calendar though!

I would love get meaningful hotel benefits. Free nights sound solid. Discounts are iffy, as there are always discounts out there. Suite room or free breakfast would be nice.

I see lift ticket discount coupons on Yahoo and I have thought about pursuing that stock, though I think the whole industry (at least in Japan) has a limited future due to climate change.
https://page.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp...on/w1006165487

We have Shinki Bus, and they gave us 50% coupons twice last year which are worth 3,000 each time to us. They also gave us coupons for cafes they own once (worth 3,000). Not sure if that is an annual or just periodic benefit.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.