Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​
The requirement for pre-departure test will be removed for passengers on flights landing after the 7th of September 00:00 provided that they have received a full bases vaccination and a booster vaccination. Accepted vaccines are Moderna, Pfizer, Astra, Zeneca, J&J, Novavax, Covaxin.

Uploading documents in advance via the mysos app or via the mysos website is required. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

The arrival process is as follows. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group “Red”:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group “Yellow”:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group “Blue”:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 16, 2022, 11:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kishiwada
Reuters - Japan announces limited "test tourism" from May as step to full re-opening.

For all the people I've seen complain that the concept of "guided tours" is useless and dumb, I wonder how many of them are going to be clamouring to book one the second they're available?
100 x 0 =
Old May 16, 2022, 11:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hailstorm
The Reuters article is paywalled, but from an NHK article I can see that the tour will be limited to thrice vaccinated people from Singapore, Thailand, Australia, and...America!? If you're going to allow Americans in, where six figure daily case numbers remain the norm, then I can't see the rationale for keeping other nations out.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/japan-ann...034035989.html

Tue, May 17, 2022, 12:40 PMTOKYO (Reuters) - Japan said on Tuesday it would start conducting "test tourism" in the form of limited package tours in May as a way of gathering information prior to a full re-opening of the country to tourism.

Though tourism was a major pillar of Japan's economy, tourists have not been permitted to enter since it adopted strict border controls in 2020 at the start of the coronavirus pandemic.

Regulations have been loosened slightly to allow students and some business travelers to enter. But, individual tourists remain barred despite calls from industry leaders hoping to restart tourism to take advantage of the yen, which has fallen to 20-year lows.

The Tourism Agency said on Tuesday that it would start allowing small group tours to enter from later this month as "test cases" to gain information for a broader resumption of tourism at an unspecified future date.

Tourists who have been triple-vaccinated and come from the United States, Australia, Thailand and Singapore will be allowed to take part in the tours, which will be strictly planned in conjunction with travel agencies and accompanied at all times by tour conductors, it added in a statement.

"This venture will allow us to verify compliance and emergency responses for infection prevention and formulate guidelines for travel agencies and accommodation operators to keep in mind," it said.

(snip)

(Reporting by Elaine Lies; Editing by Christian Schmollinger)
Old May 16, 2022, 11:49 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I never ever do online check in, and I have not had any problems with the arrival caps. Even flying on a completely packed flight around end of March when it is time for the expat rotation and people returning to Japan in great numbers.

For airlines with multiple flights a day, how would the system be geared to count Cross flights? I think that was an airline employee making up stories to make IDB case easy to swallow. But I have been wondering how it works, though everytime it has been cut suddenly, or when first introduced, JAL and ANA suddenly stopped selling tickets with destination Japan.
Wonder if it’s just JAL and ANA trying to comply.
Maybe this arrival cap is just a PR thing, maybe not even strictly enforced.
Old May 16, 2022, 11:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
FYI - For most paywall articles, you can get by the paywall by hitting the "reader mode" (in Microsoft Edge, that's a little book on the right side of the address bar). Also, sometimes simply opening the link incognito/private mode works.
Old May 16, 2022, 11:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by evergrn
Wonder if it’s just JAL and ANA trying to comply.
Maybe this arrival cap is just a PR thing, maybe not even strictly enforced.
Very possible. My friend was flying QR so that’s a bit of a sh.tshow to begin with … CPH-Flyer’s comment on finding an excuse for IDB is entirely plausible with QR.
Old May 16, 2022, 11:58 pm

実証事業で受け入れるのは新型コロナウイルス変異株の感染状況が落ち着いている国で、タイとシンガポールも 対象となる見通しだ。各国10人前後を想定する。ワクチンの3回接種や民間医療保険の加入を条件とする。旅行先は都道府県の同意が得られた地域とし、旅行 会社の添乗員が同行する
訪日客受け入れ、月内に実証実験…米豪など4か国から団体旅行受け入れ : 読売新聞オンライン (yomiuri.co.jp)

How much data are they expecting from 10 people per country?
Old May 17, 2022, 12:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
There will probably be more journalists covering the movements of the early tourists than tourists themselves.
Deckter likes this.
Old May 17, 2022, 3:46 am

Obviously the tours won’t prove a damn thing. It’s a calculated PR move on the part of Kishida to feign progress and continue to delay the inevitable. There is very little internal or external pressure to do anything otherwise.

The best we can hope for is the tours end up becoming of sort of an embarrassment for whatever reason (absurd optics, etc.) and someone like Elon Musk ends up ridiculing the tours or border rules
Old May 17, 2022, 3:59 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Enough to clearly extrapolate that we were never meant to exist in the outside world, close the glass hatch and waddle away into nothingness.
seigex and Topcare like this.
Old May 17, 2022, 8:17 am

Just when I thought Japan couldn't possibly be any dumber..... they go and do something like this....and totally redeem themselves ..... /s. [Harry Dunne]

What a clown show. But hey, other countries with borders open and no entry requirements have seen numbers shoot up and level at pre pandemic levels only limited by airline capacity.
LETTERBOY and Deckter like this.
Old May 17, 2022, 9:37 am

Programs: Bonvoy Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by hailstorm
The Reuters article is paywalled, but from an NHK article I can see that the tour will be limited to thrice vaccinated people from Singapore, Thailand, Australia, and...America!? If you're going to allow Americans in, where six figure daily case numbers remain the norm, then I can't see the rationale for keeping other nations out.
Only 30 percent of the US has the third dose. So that would limit who from the US would be able to enter.
Old May 17, 2022, 10:58 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by TravisMT81
Only 30 percent of the US has the third dose. So that would limit who from the US would be able to enter.
What about those of us that got J&J and a booster? I have a feeling we're screwed even after restrictions loosen up further.
Old May 17, 2022, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by sfgiants13
What about those of us that got J&J and a booster? I have a feeling we're screwed even after restrictions loosen up further.
I was wondering about this too. So according to https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page24e_000317.html J&J (first shot) plus boosting with anything else seems to count as three right? It was unclear to me if the J&J booster counted as a third dose or not, but to me seems like the first shot of J&J plus Moderna/Pfizer should be good. Was curious if that was actually true though.
Old May 17, 2022, 11:41 am

That's an odd way of looking at it. The shots are still widely available, so anyone who wanted to travel to Japan who wasn't already triple-vaxxed could just get their shots first.
ShopAround, LETTERBOY and invalyd like this.
Old May 17, 2022, 11:43 am

Originally Posted by vbzf
I was wondering about this too. So according to https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page24e_000317.html J&J (first shot) plus boosting with anything else seems to count as three right? It was unclear to me if the J&J booster counted as a third dose or not, but to me seems like the first shot of J&J plus Moderna/Pfizer should be good. Was curious if that was actually true though.
This seems pretty clear: (As for Janssen COVID-19 Vaccine/ Janssen, one dose is treated as two doses)

I'm also J&J, so I am hoping that's the case.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.