Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​
The requirement for pre-departure test will be removed for passengers on flights landing after the 7th of September 00:00 provided that they have received a full bases vaccination and a booster vaccination. Accepted vaccines are Moderna, Pfizer, Astra, Zeneca, J&J, Novavax, Covaxin.

Uploading documents in advance via the mysos app or via the mysos website is required. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

The arrival process is as follows. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group “Red”:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group “Yellow”:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group “Blue”:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2020, 12:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
68 new cases in Tokyo today.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 1:43 am

Programs: LH M+M
68 will be cheerished on upon in a few weeks ..
ainternational likes this.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 2:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
New test kits with a reduction in test time from four hours to 30 minutes. Just approved I believe by the Japanese government, made by Canon.

New lighter kit cuts test time for coronavirus to only half an hour : The Asahi Shimbun

Sounds promising, but I wonder about the near term availability in volume, and the price...

They claim over 90% accuracy. So much for the low sensitivity tests discussed a week or two ago. I hope this is accurate!
Old Mar 29, 2020, 3:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by hailstorm
68 new cases in Tokyo today.
I’m wondering how it is possible that they state the daily number at around 5 PM each day Japan time...

Does nothing occur in this country after 5 PM? ;(
Old Mar 29, 2020, 3:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ainternational
I’m wondering how it is possible that they state the daily number at around 5 PM each day Japan time...

Does nothing occur in this country after 5 PM? ;(
I imagine the ones after 5pm get put in the following day's total?
Old Mar 29, 2020, 3:34 am
Original Poster

I imagine the ones after 5pm get put in the following day's total?
Now they say 80+ today in Tokyo..

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200329_25/
Old Mar 29, 2020, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No they don't.

Japanese health authorities say more than 80 people have been confirmed to be infected with the coronavirus on Sunday so far, bringing Japan's total to over 1,800.

Of the new cases found on Sunday, 68 were in the capital. This is the largest daily number of infections reported by local authorities.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 4:30 am
Original Poster

No they don't.
Hmmm. The story title is about Tokyo’s number of infections today. The first paragraph indicates that number. Either false reporting or misleading reporting. Or just a poor translation and confusing as most things are here.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 4:33 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Hmmm. The story title is about Tokyo’s number of infections today. The first paragraph indicates that number. Either false reporting or misleading reporting. Or just a poor translation and confusing as most things are here.
NHK (TV) just said 68.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

C'mon, man. Just admit that you didn't read it carefully. Happens to all of us.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 4:50 am
Original Poster

C'mon, man. Just admit that you didn't read it carefully. Happens to all of us.
Actually I interpreted it just as I said I did. Perhaps wrong but that is exactly how I interpreted their story.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 4:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Actually I interpreted it just as I said I did. Perhaps wrong but that is exactly how I interpreted their story.
Did you get as far as the fifth paragraph? Doesn't seem to be any room for misinterpretation there.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 5:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Another 28 infections from the Chiba facility for the disabled. That brings it up to 86, which, discounting the Diamond Princess, makes it the single biggest hotspot in Japan.
Old Mar 29, 2020, 6:36 am
Original Poster

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200329_26/

Glad to see the “stay at home” order extending soon to weekdays... until April 12th.

Apparently in some countries, they have enough tests to include felines.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/27/first-...ed-in-belgium/

I hope Tokyo gets more serious this week. Abe-san need to get whatever done quickly so that he can instill a true lockdown.

Last edited by ainternational; Mar 29, 2020 at 7:12 am
Old Mar 29, 2020, 7:47 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20200329_26/

Glad to see the “stay at home” order extending soon to weekdays... until April 12th.

Apparently in some countries, they have enough tests to include felines.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/27/first-...ed-in-belgium/

I hope Tokyo gets more serious this week. Abe-san need to get whatever done quickly so that he can instill a true lockdown.
NYPost is a horrible source, I don't recommend it, I automatically assume anything they post is false.

That said, what puzzles me about Tokyo is this - fine, I get that the government can't force people to stay home without a major emergency legislative overhaul. But can't they work with the businesses to shut the restaurants / parks / gathering places? That would remove a "destination" for people to go to, and if there's nowhere to go to, they would stay home, wouldn't they? Japan doesn't strike me as the kind of place where people would aimlessly walk around, so if the destinations are closed, this might help? Though I guess that means businesses have to collaborate, and it's collective financial suicide for them if they all shut down, so I guess that kind of kills that idea.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.