Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​
The requirement for pre-departure test will be removed for passengers on flights landing after the 7th of September 00:00 provided that they have received a full bases vaccination and a booster vaccination. Accepted vaccines are Moderna, Pfizer, Astra, Zeneca, J&J, Novavax, Covaxin.

Uploading documents in advance via the mysos app or via the mysos website is required. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

The arrival process is as follows. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group “Red”:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group “Yellow”:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group “Blue”:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2022, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by seigex
So, it'll be like any other time I've been to Japan? Can't complain, having the seat on either side of you empty on a busy train is kinda nice. I wonder if I'll get X arms at an Izakaya now because they think I have COVID instead of because I don't speak Japanese (even though I do).
LOL - I know exactly what you mean.... I'll be back to Tokyo in July -- my (Japanese) wife never believed me until I proved it to her (pre-COVID) -- she was shocked - which surprised even me.... Fortunately I speak enough Japanese to be considered a local -- and we mostly go to places that know us -- so not an issue....
seigex likes this.
Old May 19, 2022, 4:41 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
LOL - I know exactly what you mean.... I'll be back to Tokyo in July -- my (Japanese) wife never believed me until I proved it to her (pre-COVID) -- she was shocked - which surprised even me.... Fortunately I speak enough Japanese to be considered a local -- and we mostly go to places that know us -- so not an issue....
One experience with this was at an izakaya near Ameyoko shopping street with a buddy of mine who was in Japan for his first time. I was given a cross arms and told "only speak japanese" after asking for a seat in Japanese. I told him I speak japanese, and he just gave me cross arms again and walked back inside. I went to another one the next street over where they happily served me my Asahi Super Dry and my favorite, some Nankotsu Karaage. He was quite shocked by it.
Old May 19, 2022, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
One experience with this was at an izakaya near Ameyoko shopping street with a buddy of mine who was in Japan for his first time. I was given a cross arms and told "only speak japanese" after asking for a seat in Japanese. I told him I speak japanese, and he just gave me cross arms again and walked back inside. I went to another one the next street over where they happily served me my Asahi Super Dry and my favorite, some Nankotsu Karaage. He was quite shocked by it.
Based on my experience it depends on who is in the local place when you arrive -- a bunch of locals that aren't open to foreigners -- big X -- but the places we go seem to cater to a more international clientele -- but we do live next to Ginza so it's easier.... If we were in Nagato -- my wife's hometown -- more X's....
Old May 19, 2022, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Well, this is gonna get confusing.

Masks outside not always needed when not chatting: Japan gov't panel

"Wearing masks when outdoors is not always necessary even if sufficient social distancing cannot be maintained, with the caveat that people are not conversing"

So many follow-up questions. What is "outdoors"? Anyplace without a roof? Anyplace that's always exposed to the outdoors, like the concourse in front of Shinagawa station? What is "conversing"? Does it involve actual presence of a human facing you? Does talking on a phone count? And does the "not always necessary" caveat to the caveat mean that, in general, you should keep wearing the mask anyway? What constitutes "necessity" in this case?

I get that the goal is to avoid cases of heat stroke in the summer, but people are not going to read and follow a 16 page handbook on proper mask etiquette. I don't see a viable middle road between staying the course and recommending masks outdoors when you're around people, and not requiring masks outdoors at all in open air areas.
Old May 19, 2022, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by bmwe92fan
Based on my experience it depends on who is in the local place when you arrive -- a bunch of locals that aren't open to foreigners -- big X -- but the places we go seem to cater to a more international clientele -- but we do live next to Ginza so it's easier.... If we were in Nagato -- my wife's hometown -- more X's....
this place was definitely packed with a lot of locals, so yeah makes sense.. that's been my experience as well
bmwe92fan likes this.
Old May 19, 2022, 5:22 pm

Anyone see this on NHK World?
https://www3.nhk.or.jp/nhkworld/en/news/20220518_32/

It says the entry requirements for vaccines, testing and quarantine for people from low-covid countries will be removed.
Really??!! They plan to scrap both tests AND vax?
Old May 19, 2022, 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by alan11

It says the entry requirements for vaccines, testing and quarantine for people from low-covid countries will be removed.
This is huge. Makes me suspect that tourism restrictions will be lifted next month as well.
Old May 19, 2022, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is huge. Makes me suspect that tourism restrictions will be lifted next month as well.
Will be dependant on some new group system which will be based on hysterical data.
Old May 19, 2022, 7:50 pm

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Will be dependant on some new group system which will be based on hysterical data.
Don't worry, monkey pox is here now. Good news is covid measures are ending. Bad news is they'll be replaced with monkey pox measures
nnn, ainternational and Topcare like this.
Old May 19, 2022, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Don't worry, monkey pox is here now. Good news is covid measures are ending. Bad news is they'll be replaced with monkey pox measures
You didn't see my joke !
ainternational, seigex and Topcare like this.
Old May 20, 2022, 5:34 am

countries should just totally stop testing or reporting cases like Japan and then they will be 一番
seigex likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by Topcare
countries should just totally stop testing or reporting cases like Japan and then they will be 一番
Ah! But what I'd like to know is how a country can become 一番搾り.
hijiji likes this.
Old May 20, 2022, 11:47 am

According to the government release of May 20, what is eliminated wrt testing is the on-arrival testing. It appears the pre-departure testing will remain. The following is the language from May 20 release (bolding mine):

「青」区分の国・地域からの帰国者・入国者については、ワクチン3回目接種の有無によら
ず、入国時検査を実施せず、入国後の自宅等待機を求めないこととします。
Old May 20, 2022, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
From Monday, restaurants and bars in Tokyo that have passed Tokyo's COVID prevention certification will be freed from all restrictions. They will be allowed to remain open as long as they like, serve alcohol as long as they like, and accept parties of any size. Those establishments that have not received certification are still requested to either limit groups to 8 people and under (or check for recent negative COVID test for additinal people), and to refrain from serving alcohol after 9pm.

All Tokyo residents are still requested to remain vigilant in infection preventions measures.
Old May 20, 2022, 8:02 pm

Remember when Japanese people complained about the anal swabbing by China for Covid. https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.fra...s-for-japanese

Maybe counties just need to start to be as conservative as china was. Maybe japan will stop with all the covid theatre?

Carry on yapping about how they have done so well yadda yadda yadda and closed borders saved lives.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.