Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​
The requirement for pre-departure test will be removed for passengers on flights landing after the 7th of September 00:00 provided that they have received a full bases vaccination and a booster vaccination. Accepted vaccines are Moderna, Pfizer, Astra, Zeneca, J&J, Novavax, Covaxin.

Uploading documents in advance via the mysos app or via the mysos website is required. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

The arrival process is as follows. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group “Red”:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group “Yellow”:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group “Blue”:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2022, 4:38 pm

Programs: Star Alliance - AC
Question: Nishinomiya City is offering Takeda / Moderna vaccine shots. I want the Moderna, not the Takeda since Takeda is not on the list of approved vaccines in Canada. Is there any way you can verify beforehand which vaccine they are shooting on that particular day? I don't want to go to the site and find out that on the day I visit, they are jabbing people with the Takeda.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 5:00 pm

Programs: SAS Eurobonus - Blue / Emirates Skywards - Blue
Originally Posted by Taiwaned
Question: Nishinomiya City is offering Takeda / Moderna vaccine shots. I want the Moderna, not the Takeda since Takeda is not on the list of approved vaccines in Canada. Is there any way you can verify beforehand which vaccine they are shooting on that particular day? I don't want to go to the site and find out that on the day I visit, they are jabbing people with the Takeda.
Takeda is Moderna's Japan distributor.

My vaccine sticker says

COVID19-Vaccine Moderna Intramuscular Injection
And then underneath it has Takeda's company name written in Japanese.
Taiwaned likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 5:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Taiwaned
The actual batches are produced by Moderna in Spain. Takeda is just packaging and distributing in Japan. The details in the batch numbers will show the Moderna origin, not the Takeda handling.
Taiwaned likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by wunderpit
Question: How did you deal with the PCR test paperwork, with the "physician signature"? I've taken many PCR tests in the pandemic and I've never had anything but an automated result spit out to my email.
I asked someone at the doctor's office to sign it or stamp it. Both scenarios were accepted. In addition, a couple times, I used the doctor's office's English form, which had no signature, just a stamp with the date, and that was also accepted. I've never had an issue with the COVID test results presented at check in or at Japan quarantine and immigration, but I'm also very careful to ensure all the required data is always present.
seigex likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 7:36 pm

Wondering if any of you based in Japan had any thoughts on if this would have any influence towards moving to a broader reopening?:

Old Mar 7, 2022, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by sameruval
Wondering if any of you based in Japan had any thoughts on if this would have any influence towards moving to a broader reopening?:

https://twitter.com/GearoidReidy/sta...iQEhn-boTKTg_g
with 7 pages of incoherent drivel about the rules.
Old Mar 7, 2022, 8:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by sameruval
It’s what businesses want and what the average Japanese citizen doesn't want. So expect the government to rush towards a full post-Golden Week re-opening to out-race the next big variant.
invalyd and seigex like this.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 1:55 pm

Programs: US, LH, HH
Originally Posted by hailstorm
It’s what businesses want and what the average Japanese citizen doesn't want. So expect the government to rush towards a full post-Golden Week re-opening to out-race the next big variant.
I was expecting to see another round of the 'Go To Travel'-campaign before that, but it seems plans for that have been scrapped: https://mainichi.jp/english/articles...0m/0bu/006000c
Old Mar 8, 2022, 5:10 pm

Programs: NH Dia (MM), QF-Plt, S-La GC Dia, Marriot Plt
Originally Posted by Akihabara
Hi all. I'm reporting back on my experience of the "Fast track" entry at Haneda.
It probably should be called "Faster track" (or not-as-slow track) as it really wasn't so different. It was 1hour and 15 minutes from landing to curbside. I could not have done it any faster honestly...
Just a further note on this, what was odd was my SOS app reverted back to the "red screen" on the day of my arrival and showed a last quarantine date of 8th March (yesterday).
I wasn't asked during these past 3 days to respond to any message or anything.
Now this morning, the screen is cleared and back to the standard screen... weird.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 5:43 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by ainternational
I asked someone at the doctor's office to sign it or stamp it. Both scenarios were accepted. In addition, a couple times, I used the doctor's office's English form, which had no signature, just a stamp with the date, and that was also accepted. I've never had an issue with the COVID test results presented at check in or at Japan quarantine and immigration, but I'm also very careful to ensure all the required data is always present.
So, once again...the PCR test can't be done in the typical fashion (rapid test at LAX, for example, because they just beam you your result via online), it must be done at a specialty office for international travel where a human can stamp or sign it.

I realize that some of you have been going to Japan all along, but I'm talking about us noobs that haven't been since 2019.
seigex likes this.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 5:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by wunderpit
So, once again...the PCR test can't be done in the typical fashion (rapid test at LAX, for example, because they just beam you your result via online), it must be done at a specialty office for international travel where a human can stamp or sign it.
That's how it has always been. For a period they were more lenient, but from March 2021 they really cracked down on the certificates. I did use an online result pre March 2021, but I have not really wanted to risk the challenge after that time point. I know people who were declined at the immigration counter for the certificate not meeting the specifics. Which of course means that if you have a Japanese passport you might get off a bit easier, as they don't get the extra inspection at passport control.
Old Mar 8, 2022, 6:41 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
That's how it has always been.
Thanks! Yea, when you say "That's how it has always been"...well, some of us haven't done this in the pandemic Something to add to the list for the May trip!
seigex likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 12:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The Chief Cabinet Secretary said today that he believes that the roughly 150,000 students waiting to enter the country would all be able to do so by the end of May.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/202...521921000.html

Completion of this might be considered a necessary, though perhaps not sufficient, condition for resuming tourist travel.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 2:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Akihabara
Just a further note on this, what was odd was my SOS app reverted back to the "red screen" on the day of my arrival and showed a last quarantine date of 8th March (yesterday).
I wasn't asked during these past 3 days to respond to any message or anything.
Now this morning, the screen is cleared and back to the standard screen... weird.
Yeah, still kinks in the system. See my post above from a few days ago. Different but similar issues. I contacted MHLW and was told all is good. Pretty sure you’re in the same boat as I.
Akihabara likes this.
Old Mar 9, 2022, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Removed from The Omicron List tomorrow: Sweden, Switzerland, Peru, Mexico, Maldives, Uzbekistan, Bangladesh, Cambodia, and the State of Parana (Brazil).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.