Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​
The requirement for pre-departure test will be removed for passengers on flights landing after the 7th of September 00:00 provided that they have received a full bases vaccination and a booster vaccination. Accepted vaccines are Moderna, Pfizer, Astra, Zeneca, J&J, Novavax, Covaxin.

Uploading documents in advance via the mysos app or via the mysos website is required. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

The arrival process is as follows. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group “Red”:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group “Yellow”:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group “Blue”:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2022, 8:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Japan looks to raise entry cap and scrap attendance limit at large events | The Japan Times

Looks like the cap might be lifted to 10,000 in addition to the 20k person event attendance limit restriction (while wearing masks and not speaking loudly) removal next month.

The government is considering raising the daily limit of people allowed to enter Japan to 10,000 in April, and is also planning to remove the current spectator attendance limit for large-scale events as the spread of coronavirus infections slows, according to government sources.

With the additional easing of entry restrictions, the government aims to accept by the end of May all foreigners who are waiting to enter Japan to study in the country, according to several government sources.

As for spectator attendance limit for large-scale events, a maximum of 20,000 people are allowed to participate in such events as long as they wear face masks and do not speak loudly. The cap is currently applied in Tokyo and 17 other prefectures that are under a quasi-state of emergency.

The government will scrap that cap, and also the rule that all spectators need to provide proof of being negative for COVID-19 when the 20,000 cap is abolished, the sources said.
The government will formally decide on the spectator plan next week after consulting with a panel of health experts, they said, adding the 10,000 cap under a full state of emergency might also be lifted.

The daily infection count across the country stood at 63,742 on Wednesday, about 10,000 lower than a week ago.
Old Mar 10, 2022, 7:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
As the infection rates aren't going down as quickly as hoped, they are further revising the conditions for releasing an emergency or pseudo emergency.

https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/202...525031000.html

Even if redection in infection has slowed, or is even increasing, the pseudo emergency can be released if it is determined that hospitalization situation has stablilzed. Conversely, the release can also happen even if over 50% of critical patient beds are occupied, so long as the rate of infection is determined to decrease.

Furthermore, event attendance limits of 10,000 for emergency and 20,000 for pseudo emergency will be released even if those conditions persist, though all in attendance will still be requested to wear masks and refrain from yelling.

Last edited by hailstorm; Mar 10, 2022 at 8:13 pm
Old Mar 11, 2022, 10:01 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
On a similar note, South Korea just dropped their Q to ZERO! Now, let's hope Japan can follow suit!!!!! (if you wish hard enough, sometimes things might actually come true...)
https://n.news.naver.com/mnews/article/421/0005963612
Korea will not quarantine vaccinated foreign arrivals from March 21 < Policy < ???? - KBR
Old Mar 11, 2022, 3:13 pm

Programs: US, LH, HH
Originally Posted by comeflywme
On a similar note, South Korea just dropped their Q to ZERO! Now, let's hope Japan can follow suit!!!!! (if you wish hard enough, sometimes things might actually come true...)
Given that Japan already has zero days quarantine for most locations when vaccinated, not much to follow there?
Old Mar 11, 2022, 3:34 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by freakazoid
Given that Japan already has zero days quarantine for most locations when vaccinated, not much to follow there?
Going directly from Seoul, South Korea (ICN-HND), I'm referring to getting into Japan (Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto) in late May 2022 as tourists—US passport, South Korea passport, 100% fully (Moderna / Pfizer) vaccinated (2) + boosted (1)—with zero days quarantine.
LETTERBOY and seigex like this.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 4:10 pm

Programs: US, LH, HH
Originally Posted by comeflywme
Going directly from Seoul, South Korea (ICN-HND), I'm referring to getting into Japan (Tokyo, Osaka, Kyoto) in late May 2022 as tourists—US passport, South Korea passport, 100% fully (Moderna / Pfizer) vaccinated (2) + boosted (1)—with zero days quarantine.
So the difference is that SK allows tourism. That wasn't mentioned in your post nor in the linked articles and I assume happened earlier.
Old Mar 11, 2022, 6:35 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...sures-revised/

Quasi-emergency lifted as long as available beds for virus infected-patients remains below 50%

A little bit of sense:

Omi cited three reasons for the revision:
  • Many younger people such as students have been restricted from having in-person learning experiences, which in turn is affecting them mentally, leading to a rise in suicide cases and people suffering from depression.
  • A majority of those infected only experience mild symptoms.
  • Unlike at the beginning of the pandemic, a majority of the population has been vaccinated, and treatment drugs are available.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 7:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Back onto Tokyo hotel breakfast buffets, here is a very recent video from The Okura Hotel:

I think this is the most normal looking buffet I've seen since the pandemic first ramped up.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 7:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by hailstorm
Back onto Tokyo hotel breakfast buffets, here is a very recent video from The Okura Hotel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNag1l7er7M

I think this is the most normal looking buffet I've seen since the pandemic first ramped up.
That place doesn't remotely hold a candle to the original Orchid Room in the old main building. The closest there is is the Belle Epoque restaurant in the annex, but even that doesn't quite match up.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 8:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I ate there once just to say I had the vaunted French Toast, but I much preferred the Terrace Restaurant. Such a peaceful view out the window for a hotel in the middle of Tokyo, and still the only breakfast buffet I've ever seen with free-flowing vodka.

abaheti likes this.
Old Mar 13, 2022, 8:50 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA Silver, ANA MC, HH Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Bonvoy Plat, IHG Plat, Shangri-La GC, Hertz PC
I much preferred the Terrace Restaurant. Such a peaceful view out the window for a hotel in the middle of Tokyo,....
Yes, a very beautiful and peaceful space, and IIRC, in the evening they lit up Hawaiian-style flame torches in the garden. The old Okura, for all its charm, went overboard with plastic bathrooms back when I saw the rooms in the early 80s, but I do look forward to staying at the new Okura. Also, the Garden Lounge at the New Otani has a nice view too with its waterfall and Japanese garden, but it's a bit Disneyesque in its complexity and scale.

View from New Otani's Garden Lounge
The _Banking_Scot likes this.

Last edited by Nagasaki Joe; Mar 13, 2022 at 9:08 pm
Old Mar 13, 2022, 9:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by Nagasaki Joe
Yes, a very beautiful and peaceful space, and IIRC, in the evening they lit up Hawaiian-style flame torches in the garden. The old Okura, for all its charm, went overboard with plastic bathrooms back when I saw the rooms in the early 80s, but I do look forward to staying at the new Okura. Also, the Garden Lounge at the New Otani has a nice view too with its waterfall and Japanese garden, but it's a bit Disneyesque in its complexity and scale.
Yeah, towards the end the rooms did not really reflect the grandeur of the lobby and restaurant areas. Some of the room renovations were certainly not a gain.
​​​​
Nagasaki Joe likes this.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 7:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Yeah, towards the end the rooms did not really reflect the grandeur of the lobby and restaurant areas. Some of the room renovations were certainly not a gain.
​​​​
In the twin bed rooms, between the beds there was a nightstand with the control panels for the lights, radio, etc. It looked like something that Nikita Khrushchev would use to start WW III.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 7:41 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mNag1l7er7M

No gloves? Haven't seen that at this my recent Moxy/Sheraton/Courtyard stays.
Old Mar 14, 2022, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT
No gloves? Haven't seen that at this my recent Moxy/Sheraton/Courtyard stays.
It does appear that way. Personally, even if you believe that surface contamination is a COVID concern, I don't see what advantage the gloves have over using the disinfectant each time you go up. I've seen people put the gloves on and then touch their face with their gloved hand, which defeats the whole purpose of putting gloves on to begin with. And I'm sure that practice is creating literally tons of plastic garbage over time.
JapanFlyerT likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.