Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​
The requirement for pre-departure test will be removed for passengers on flights landing after the 7th of September 00:00 provided that they have received a full bases vaccination and a booster vaccination. Accepted vaccines are Moderna, Pfizer, Astra, Zeneca, J&J, Novavax, Covaxin.

Uploading documents in advance via the mysos app or via the mysos website is required. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

The arrival process is as follows. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group “Red”:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group “Yellow”:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group “Blue”:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2022, 4:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Entered Japan as 0005 (fifth person of the day) today on March 1 at Haneda at 4am. I was definitely the first pax with three shots, qualifying for no hotel stay and no quarantine. The staff was untrained on the new procedure and I had to ask repeatedly to ensure I wasn’t quarantined or sent to a hotel. Without too much hassle, a supervisor recognized I was the first pax to qualify in Japan based on the new rules enacted hours ago. I was still required to install the apps on my phone but they waived the instruction of the apps based on my “zero day quarantine”. After about 1.5 hours including the waiting time to receive my negative test result, I was cleared and let out with no restrictions - the first time in two years after over two dozen quarantined arrivals.

It’s good to be free! Now, off to the office and meetings…
Old Feb 28, 2022, 4:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Wow, I wonder if that spells doom for the Hotel being ai Hyatt or if the Hyatt brand will transfer along with it. Would be disappointing to lose it as a cheap points option in such a prime spot.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 5:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by seigex
Wow, I wonder if that spells doom for the Hotel being ai Hyatt or if the Hyatt brand will transfer along with it. Would be disappointing to lose it as a cheap points option in such a prime spot.
I posit more about it in the Hyatt Regency Tokyo thread, but I don't think the prospects look good at all.

(the hotel is already moving up from Cat 3 to Cat 4 later this month, so get your prospective points reservations in soon)
seigex likes this.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 6:23 pm

Originally Posted by hailstorm
I posit more about it in the Hyatt Regency Tokyo thread, but I don't think the prospects look good at all.

(the hotel is already moving up from Cat 3 to Cat 4 later this month, so get your prospective points reservations in soon)
Thanks, good info, even though it's disappointing news. I wasn't aware about the 50-year lifespan, when I lived in Japan it was in Okinawa that still has WW2-era buildings around, and outside of Naha, pretty much no building standards. My Hyatt points balance is busted at the moment, so it might be the end of the line for me there unless Japan opens back up before my October trip. I might use cache to get one last good stay there before it disappears.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by evergrn
Looks like today might be the first day ever that every single prefecture sees at least triple-digit number of new cases.
A month later, this is finally back in play, with Shimane (130) and Tottori (115) clearing the mark.

Originally Posted by CalNaughtonJr
Japan reported 1 COVID death yesterday (saw on TV).

In two weeks I fear that number may double or even triple.
Unfortunately, it kind of kept doubling and tripling several more times over afterwards. Deaths have been measured in the hundreds every day for over three weeks now, with no sign of that ending soon. This is now officially the deadliest wave of COVID-19 yet to hit Japan.
Old Feb 28, 2022, 9:38 pm

This is now officially the deadliest wave of COVID-19 yet to hit Japan.
It’s true, I think I saw this in Guinness book of world records. Like the worlds tallest midget.
LETTERBOY and A Little Cow like this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 12:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Okinawa was the first prefecture to go viral with Omicron, and was among the first to have their pseudo emergency removed. Now they are the first to rebound. Today's new cases exceeded a thousand for the first time since January.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Several milestones achieved today. After a month of waiting this was finally the day where all 47 prefectures reported triple digit case numbers (Tottori with the low at 115). Also two big round numbers reached, as Tokyo as a whole broke the one million case mark, while Okinawa broke the one hundred thousand case mark.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 7:24 am
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Several milestones achieved today. After a month of waiting this was finally the day where all 47 prefectures reported triple digit case numbers (Tottori with the low at 115). Also two big round numbers reached, as Tokyo as a whole broke the one million case mark, while Okinawa broke the one hundred thousand case mark.
Keep an eye out for Japan to stop using the case metric just like what’s happening in the USA. Won’t be a thing much longer, only hospitalizations and deaths. Cases are so 2021.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 7:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Platinum, IHG Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by wunderpit
Keep an eye out for Japan to stop using the case metric just like what’s happening in the USA. Won’t be a thing much longer, only hospitalizations and deaths. Cases are so 2021.
Yeah, pretty meaningless at this point.

I read something on CNN that said a CDC study estimates 140,000,000 (43%) of Americans have had Covid, even though the tests have confirmed just half that. Something like 60% of kids have had the virus.
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/03/01/h...ons/index.html

I suspect Japan's ratio of undocumented infections is even higher, given how few tests were available until recently.

The Ministry guideline even suggests that if you are not having severe symptoms or at high risk, just stay home.

Q1】What should I do if I have a fever, cough or other symptoms?

Do not go to a medical institution right away; contact a COVID-19 Consultation Center (the name may vary depending on the region) first.

(1) At the very least, please contact Call center in any of the following situations.
-You have a severe symptoms such as breathing difficulty, intense tiredness (fatigue), or high fever: Symptoms vary from person to person. If you feel the symptoms are severe, contact Call center immediately.
-If you are at high risk of becoming severely ill(※) and have relatively mild cold symptoms, such as fever and cough. (※Elderly, People with underlying conditions such as diabetes, heart failure, or respiratory diseases (COPD, etc.), People on dialysis, People taking immunosuppressive agents or anti-cancer drugs.)

(2) Other than the above, people have been having relatively mild cold symptoms, such as fever and cough, that are persistent: Symptoms vary from person to person. If you feel the symptoms are severe, contact a Call Center immediately.

(3) Just in case, pregnant women, the same as people who are susceptible to severe illness, should contact your doctor or a COVID-19 Consultation Center. For children, it is advisable to see a pediatrician, and so please consult with a COVID-19 Consultation Center or your pediatric medical institution by telephone or other means.

(4) Take days off work or school and refrain from dining with others if you are feeling sick. Even if your fever is relieved by taking fever medicine, you may spread the infection.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 8:20 pm
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by JapanFlyerT
Yeah, pretty meaningless at this point.

I read something on CNN that said a CDC study estimates 140,000,000 (43%) of Americans have had Covid, even though the tests have confirmed just half that. Something like 60% of kids have had the virus.
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/03/01/h...ons/index.html

I suspect Japan's ratio of undocumented infections is even higher, given how few tests were available until recently.

The Ministry guideline even suggests that if you are not having severe symptoms or at high risk, just stay home.

Q1】What should I do if I have a fever, cough or other symptoms?

Do not go to a medical institution right away; contact a COVID-19 Consultation Center (the name may vary depending on the region) first.

(1) At the very least, please contact Call center in any of the following situations.
-You have a severe symptoms such as breathing difficulty, intense tiredness (fatigue), or high fever: Symptoms vary from person to person. If you feel the symptoms are severe, contact Call center immediately.
-If you are at high risk of becoming severely ill(※) and have relatively mild cold symptoms, such as fever and cough. (※Elderly, People with underlying conditions such as diabetes, heart failure, or respiratory diseases (COPD, etc.), People on dialysis, People taking immunosuppressive agents or anti-cancer drugs.)

(2) Other than the above, people have been having relatively mild cold symptoms, such as fever and cough, that are persistent: Symptoms vary from person to person. If you feel the symptoms are severe, contact a Call Center immediately.

(3) Just in case, pregnant women, the same as people who are susceptible to severe illness, should contact your doctor or a COVID-19 Consultation Center. For children, it is advisable to see a pediatrician, and so please consult with a COVID-19 Consultation Center or your pediatric medical institution by telephone or other means.

(4) Take days off work or school and refrain from dining with others if you are feeling sick. Even if your fever is relieved by taking fever medicine, you may spread the infection.
There will come a point where this thread will fizzle and need to be archived. Funny, because I also follow Hawaii and they are getting rid of Safe Travels by the end of March. Topics slowly coming to a close. And I can’t wait to arrive in Japan mid-May for a little business again!
Old Mar 1, 2022, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by wunderpit
There will come a point where this thread will fizzle and need to be archived. Funny, because I also follow Hawaii and they are getting rid of Safe Travels by the end of March. Topics slowly coming to a close. And I can’t wait to arrive in Japan mid-May for a little business again!
This thread has been running for two years, and at this point is pretty much the breadth of the Japan forum, so that will be an interesting day. That said, I find entertainment in reading some of the comments around "this won't last more than a few weeks" towards the beginning of the thread.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That said, I find entertainment in reading some of the comments around "this won't last more than a few weeks" towards the beginning of the thread.
My first post in this thread, all the way back on Page 3, was:

You're far more likely to catch the flu in Japan than the new coronavirus.
If that doesn't convince you to cancel your trip, then you shouldn't.
Boy, that situation sure got flipped on its head. Since 2021, Japan has all but eradicated the flu. But I'm sure that will come back when swarms of foreigners that are "just tired of all this mask wearing" are allowed back in.
seigex and Kishiwada like this.
Old Mar 1, 2022, 10:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
This thread has been running for two years, and at this point is pretty much the breadth of the Japan forum, so that will be an interesting day. That said, I find entertainment in reading some of the comments around "this won't last more than a few weeks" towards the beginning of the thread.
My first post in this thread, all the way back on Page 3, was:

Boy, that situation sure got flipped on its head. Since 2021, Japan has all but eradicated the flu. But I'm sure that will come back when swarms of foreigners that are "just tired of all this mask wearing" are allowed back in.
I get some good laughs at some of my early covid posts. Only joined this thread quite late, but in other forums I did have my "it will pass quickly" thoughts and posts.
Kishiwada likes this.

Last edited by CPH-Flyer; Mar 1, 2022 at 11:20 pm
Old Mar 1, 2022, 10:33 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I get some good laughs at some of my early covid posts. Only joined this thread quite late, but in other forums I did have my "it will pass quickly" thoughtd and posts.
I remember watching anxiously in January as April was looming and my NRT-NOU flight wasn’t operating and going “I’m sure this will all be ok in 2 months.”. Lol.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.