Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​
The requirement for pre-departure test will be removed for passengers on flights landing after the 7th of September 00:00 provided that they have received a full bases vaccination and a booster vaccination. Accepted vaccines are Moderna, Pfizer, Astra, Zeneca, J&J, Novavax, Covaxin.

Uploading documents in advance via the mysos app or via the mysos website is required. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

The arrival process is as follows. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group “Red”:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group “Yellow”:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group “Blue”:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 13, 2022, 7:48 pm

Programs: BA Silver, ANA Mileage Club
I'm still seeing a lot of people in my area (Shibuya) who don't wear masks - even restaurant and bar staff blatantly are maskeless.

On the other hand, I see double maskers all over the place... the effectiveness of "double masking" has been debunked and is pure nonsense.... alas, Japan!

I would wager that in the next month or two we will see a reintroduction of a SoE in Tokyo. Just wait and see!
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by JJarmuth07
On the other hand, I see double maskers all over the place... the effectiveness of "double masking" has been debunked and is pure nonsense.... alas, Japan!
Not at all. A cloth mask looks better from an aesthetic standpoint, but is clearly inferior to a surgical mask from a prevention standpoint. Wearing cloth over surgical gives the best of both worlds.

Originally Posted by JJarmuth07
I would wager that in the next month or two we will see a reintroduction of a SoE in Tokyo. Just wait and see!
In addition to setting the 20% of hospital beds threshold for requesting a pseduo-emergency, the Tokyo governor also set a 50% threshold for requesting full emergency powers. I don't think this will happen, as there will be a growing emphasis on getting people to recover at home whenever possible. If it does happen, it would likely be the result of a very large increase in infections among unboosted senior citizens. Total among 65+ for yesterday was 158; I think you'd need to see at least a thousand every day to get to that point.

Last edited by hailstorm; Jan 13, 2022 at 8:28 pm
Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ainternational
What are you talking about? You mean to say that only travelers are responsible for COVID and domestic infections are ok, as is encouraging folks who may be infected to travel with financial incentives to do so - hence the spreading of the virus domestically? My point is that the GoTo travel campaign, IMO, was ill timed. You didn't see any other country in the entire world encouraging travel (domestic or international) during the pandemic - and I would think the reason is pretty obvious. Hence the "clueless politicians" comment. Granted they need to balance economy and citizen morale with restrictions, I get that, and it isn't an easy job, but curtailing drinking and restaurant availability in general, having just previously run a travel promotion, seems tone-deaf to me.

ALL OF THAT SAID -> the numbers here are far lower than in America. So who is to say who's policy is right or wrong. Of course the answer is, there is no right or wrong, as there is no silver bullet here - except time.
You know exactly what I am talking about. There is no need for any residents/Japanese living here , to curtail their/our lives/plans for the sake of non-residents. NONE.
Foreigners still buying real-estate, foreigners still buying Japanese exports , Japan still buying foreign made imports.
OCT-DEC were fantastic IMHO. A wonderful respite from the drudgery of the first 9 months of 2021. Not to mention the fukakta olympics.......
But do continue kvetching , this is FLYERTALK after all .
Old Jan 13, 2022, 10:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
You know exactly what I am talking about. There is no need for any residents/Japanese living here , to curtail their/our lives/plans for the sake of non-residents. NONE.
Foreigners still buying real-estate, foreigners still buying Japanese exports , Japan still buying foreign made imports.
OCT-DEC were fantastic IMHO. A wonderful respite from the drudgery of the first 9 months of 2021. Not to mention the fukakta olympics.......
But do continue kvetching , this is FLYERTALK after all .
Oh, I actually agree with that 1000%. Point is though, a sick and contagious COVID infected person can still spread the disease no matter where they came from, what color their skin is, etc and by encouraging folks to travel (who may be asymptomatic), I don't think that's helpful as policy. Then again, I do totally feel, as you certainly seem to, that we shouldn't restrict our lives because of what might happen (especially when the consequences are, at least recently, fairly light in terms of symptoms).

And goddam, I LOVE KVETCHING!!!! Now give me some good pastrami and mustard on rye and I'll be REALLY happy.
Q Shoe Guy and A Little Cow like this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 8:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Updates to the quarantine requirements:

Added to the 3 days hotel flow: All of India, Maldives, Mexico, and Thailand.

The ban on re-entry from the 11 African countries was lifted, but they remain in the 10 days of hotel quarantine flow.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 8:58 am
mjm
Original Member

And we are down to a ten day quarantine upon international arrival now. A great benchmark, but the one I am eyeballing is the need for only an antigen test or proof of having recovered prior to boarding.
Stgermainparis likes this.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 9:06 am

BcG vaccines and now gut bacteria protects. Yikes. who knew japan was a land of conspiracy theories. Ummm. Maybe test. Oh wait....maybe test....I'm sure this wave will cap only by testing capacity which for a country of Japan's size is comical.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 2:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by mjm
And we are down to a ten day quarantine upon international arrival now. A great benchmark, but the one I am eyeballing is the need for only an antigen test or proof of having recovered prior to boarding.
I skipped reading this part, only looking at the added countries. This is happy days. I wonder if my current period gets cut, or I still have to do all 14....
Old Jan 14, 2022, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA GS, NH Diamond, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist (formerly Courtesy Card sadly), Amanjunkie, CLEAR
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
I skipped reading this part, only looking at the added countries. This is happy days. I wonder if my current period gets cut, or I still have to do all 14....
Sadly I doubt your current period gets cut but what’s the app say?
Old Jan 14, 2022, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Still the same.... I don't really believe it will be updated, but would be a nice weekend surprise if an update would tick in during the next couple of hours. Otherwise I'll just settle with a good book in a comfy chair.
Old Jan 14, 2022, 9:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Osaka is expecting to report a new single day high of newly reported COVID cases today. Unlike Tokyo, which has set a 20% hospitalization rate to consider a request for pseudo emergency powers, the Osaka governor has set his threshold at 35% (probably because Osaka has already passed 20%)
Old Jan 14, 2022, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The reduced quarantine period was also introduced retroactively for people that entered before the new rules were announced. Around 11am I got a message saying my quarantine ended yesterday. Will wonders never cease.

​​​​​
Old Jan 15, 2022, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Baby steps.

Japan to ease entry ban on new foreign student arrivals in steps
Old Jan 15, 2022, 7:43 am

Programs: :)
wish i could go to Japan
Old Jan 16, 2022, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Okinawa recorded 1226 cases today. That is a lot, but it is also considerably less than the previous Sunday, so perhaps a hopeful sign that their pseudo emergency is working, and that other areas may quickly hit their peak as well.
FlyerBeek likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.