FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]
Old Jan 13, 2022, 8:26 pm
Q Shoe Guy
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ainternational
What are you talking about? You mean to say that only travelers are responsible for COVID and domestic infections are ok, as is encouraging folks who may be infected to travel with financial incentives to do so - hence the spreading of the virus domestically? My point is that the GoTo travel campaign, IMO, was ill timed. You didn't see any other country in the entire world encouraging travel (domestic or international) during the pandemic - and I would think the reason is pretty obvious. Hence the "clueless politicians" comment. Granted they need to balance economy and citizen morale with restrictions, I get that, and it isn't an easy job, but curtailing drinking and restaurant availability in general, having just previously run a travel promotion, seems tone-deaf to me.

ALL OF THAT SAID -> the numbers here are far lower than in America. So who is to say who's policy is right or wrong. Of course the answer is, there is no right or wrong, as there is no silver bullet here - except time.
You know exactly what I am talking about. There is no need for any residents/Japanese living here , to curtail their/our lives/plans for the sake of non-residents. NONE.
Foreigners still buying real-estate, foreigners still buying Japanese exports , Japan still buying foreign made imports.
OCT-DEC were fantastic IMHO. A wonderful respite from the drudgery of the first 9 months of 2021. Not to mention the fukakta olympics.......
But do continue kvetching , this is FLYERTALK after all .