Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​
The requirement for pre-departure test will be removed for passengers on flights landing after the 7th of September 00:00 provided that they have received a full bases vaccination and a booster vaccination. Accepted vaccines are Moderna, Pfizer, Astra, Zeneca, J&J, Novavax, Covaxin.

Uploading documents in advance via the mysos app or via the mysos website is required. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

The arrival process is as follows. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group “Red”:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group “Yellow”:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group “Blue”:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2021, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
So the official flow of entry as vaccinated traveller has been published, and the list of places you can have the day 10 test taken. The list is pretty long, but you will need to go to the test location, and not take public transport to get there.

Lists of the possible test centers for day 10 test

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/stf/seisakuni...nsa_00001.html
I ran into some fully vaccinated people from Japan the other day. Even they found their countries covid theatre a joke. Seems kind of silly that pretty much most countries these people return from have dropped all the theatre and for people from Japan. Just come her for a good laugh.
ainternational likes this.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, SEIBU PRINCE CLUB Silver, Marriott Gold
Fumio Kishida won the LDP run-off election over Taro Kono to replace Suga as PM, despite Kono being far more popular among rank-and-file party members, because the popular vote means nothing in Japan, and House members are the only people that matter.

In the run-up to the election, Kishida has pledged to spend "tens of trillions of yen" on COVID recovery stimulus, and would aim to bring socio-economic activities back to near normalcy by early 2022.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 3:42 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I don't think people here in Japan trust the government very much. Telling people what to do would probably backfire just like it has in most other countries.

That said, I think it's all a bit of moot point because IMHO new cases in Japan will drop to such an insignificant level by the end of October, that no one will care about domestic mandates one way or the other.

Unfortunately though, I suspect this will conversely ratchet up the xenophobic rhetoric about the need to keep virus laden foreigners from reinfecting the country ... not good for us hoping for easier travel restrictions.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 6:57 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
I think the election of Kishida isn't a great sign for travel restrictions either. He was the wimpiest and most inward-focused of all the candidates, and I think he has some deep distrust of foreigners from his youth due to getting bullied at a public school in Queens. Kono would have pushed to let foreigners in just to be more popular among his fellow Hoyas and claim some vague economic competitiveness issues. Oh well, we just have to wait and see, I guess.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 7:57 am

Originally Posted by 5khours
I don't think people here in Japan trust the government very much. Telling people what to do would probably backfire just like it has in most other countries.

That said, I think it's all a bit of moot point because IMHO new cases in Japan will drop to such an insignificant level by the end of October, that no one will care about domestic mandates one way or the other.

Unfortunately though, I suspect this will conversely ratchet up the xenophobic rhetoric about the need to keep virus laden foreigners from reinfecting the country ... not good for us hoping for easier travel restrictions.
Yah. This concerns me since it will be pretty hypocritical to travel and visit countries who accept a vaccinated japanese person but yet they will slam the door in your face when you want to visit. I'm sure they dont care but then again, the group I met the other day plans to try not to return and want to try to get permanent residence here. A common tune from some I meet.
Old Sep 29, 2021, 4:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
MOFA has updated their list of quarantine restrictions for hotel quarantine. Most significantly the 6 day category now has countries again:
Argentina, Brazil, Costa Rica Colombia, Peru, Philippines, Surinam, Trinidad and Tobago, Venezuela

Slight tweaks to the 3 day list.
Afghanistan, Albania, Bangladesh, Belgium, Bolivia, Chile, Cuba, Denmark, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, Georgia, Greece, Guinea, India, Indonesia, Jordan, Kazakhstan, Libya, Malaysia, Maldives, Mozambique, Myanmar, Pakistan, Paraguay, Portugal, Russia (Moscow and Khabarovsk regions),Senegal, Seychelles, South Africa, Spain, Sri Lanka, Tanzania, Turkey, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Zambia

The process of lists seems to be getting more and more messed up. Countries are annouced as new that were on the same list last time, countries disappear off the list without being announced.
​​​​​
​​​​​
Old Sep 30, 2021, 7:45 am

Anybody know the exact rules for transport from the airport after returning to Japan. Is Uber allowed?
Old Sep 30, 2021, 7:50 am
mjm
Original Member

Anybody know the exact rules for transport from the airport after returning to Japan. Is Uber allowed?
Yes private hire cars are fine.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 2:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by mjm
Yes private hire cars are fine.
I don't know if it is truly specified, what constitutes a private hire. But certain companies advertise services, and approval from MLHW to pick up people arriving from abroad. I am not sure if Uber is among them. MK Taxi is the one I normally use.

The Skyliner (if you land in Narita) has a special service, where you can take the train, in a separate car. And then either combine with a hire car, or pick-up by some one at a designated point in Ueno Station. I used the Skyliner when I went from my quarantine hotel to home. Quite efficient.
Old Sep 30, 2021, 10:14 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Motegi is staying on as Foreign Minister.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 12:26 am
mjm
Original Member

I don't know if it is truly specified, what constitutes a private hire. But certain companies advertise services, and approval from MLHW to pick up people arriving from abroad. I am not sure if Uber is among them. MK Taxi is the one I normally use.

The Skyliner (if you land in Narita) has a special service, where you can take the train, in a separate car. And then either combine with a hire car, or pick-up by some one at a designated point in Ueno Station. I used the Skyliner when I went from my quarantine hotel to home. Quite efficient.
It is definitely grey But if you have to call it yourself and it comes only for you gets us pretty close to the definition that would be used in Japanese.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 1:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mjm
It is definitely grey But if you have to call it yourself and it comes only for you gets us pretty close to the definition that would be used in Japanese.
A standard taxi would fall in to that definition...
Old Oct 1, 2021, 4:10 am

Anybody had any actual experience using Uber. How carefully do they check your transportation arrangements when you're going through the checks at the airport?
Old Oct 1, 2021, 4:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Anybody had any actual experience using Uber. How carefully do they check your transportation arrangements when you're going through the checks at the airport?
They ask how you plan to go to your location. Sometimes they ask to see a booking if you say hire car, I have had this once, I know plenty of people who have never been asked to show a booking. When I said friend picking me up, they did not say anything more.
Old Oct 1, 2021, 4:50 am
mjm
Original Member

A standard taxi would fall in to that definition...
No that is the differentiator. Let me offer this quote:

Taxis are hackney carriages and are licensed to pick people up from the roadside, i.e. hailing a cab. Private hire vehicles are only permitted to pick up pre-arranged bookings and are not permitted to pick people up from the side of the road.

In this instance it actually is English as in beans on toast English.
jerry a. laska likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.