Reload this Page >

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 5, 2020, 5:17 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: CPH-Flyer
This thread is for discussion of the coronavirus / COVID-19 pandemic as it relates to Japan. Non-Japan-related discussion should be taken either to the most relevant forum, the Coronavirus and Travel forum, or the OMNI forums.

UPDATE FOR TOURISTS LOOKING TO VISIT JAPAN AFTER COVID-19 BORDER RESTRICTIONS EASE
Japan does currently not allow entry for general tourism purposes. Most visa waivers are suspended, and travel to Japan for non resident foreigners generally require a visa. And quarantine as described for the countries and territories below.

UPDATE FOR PEOPLE WITH VISAS THAT ALLOW ENTRY INTO JAPAN
The quarantine requirements mentioned below will generally apply to entrants in Japan. As the conditions of who can obtain a visa for entry on exceptional circumstances are not clearly listed anywhere, it is necessary to confirm entry requirements with your local Japanese diplomatic representatives

Spouses and children of foreign permanent residents or Japanese nationals, can obtain visas for short term stays (up to 90 days) by applying in person or by mail at an overseas Japanese consulate. Required documentation includes application form, letter with reason for purpose of visit, bank statement and Koseki Tohon. Processing times have been reported as on the spot to up to one week.

From March 1st, business travelers, students and technical trainees can again enter Japan. There is a need to have a receiving organisation to apply for the visa. For business travelers, there will be one point of contact with the Ministry of Health Labour and Welfare. Though the full details are not published yet (as of typing on the 27th of February, please add them if you have seen them)

Business travelers must have a Japanese company or organization apply for a Certificate for Completion of Registration to the MHLW ERFS system. This is a two step process. The company must first register and then apply for the Certificate for the traveler. These can both be done online and completed in less than an hour.The website for doing this is https://entry.hco.mhlw.go.jp/.

After getting the certificate the traveler must apply for visa at the Japanese Consulate or Embassy with jurisdiction for where they reside. (They are quite strict about this. E.g. you can't apply while traveling in a foreign country.) The information on the Consulate pages state that you need Letter of Guarantee, Invitation Letter, etc when applying for the visa. In fact, however, if you have the EFRS certificate, all you need is the visa application, your passport and a photo. The Consulate will issue the visa within 5 days.

​​​​​​

UPDATE JAPANESE CITIZENS AND RETURNING FOREIGN JAPAN RESIDENTS

All people travelling to Japan has to present a negative PCR test taking no earlier than. 72 hours before departure to be able to board the flight. The certificate has to meet the information requirements and test types from the Japanese government.

https://www.mhlw.go.jp/content/000799426.pdf

From the 7th of June, passport number, nationality, signature and stamp from the doctor/medical institution are no longer required.
​​​​​
The requirement for pre-departure test will be removed for passengers on flights landing after the 7th of September 00:00 provided that they have received a full bases vaccination and a booster vaccination. Accepted vaccines are Moderna, Pfizer, Astra, Zeneca, J&J, Novavax, Covaxin.

Uploading documents in advance via the mysos app or via the mysos website is required. For details please see https://www.hco.mhlw.go.jp/en/

The arrival process is as follows. Countries will be grouped in red, yellow, and blue.
  • Group “Red”:On-arrival test is required. 3-day quarantine at a government-designated facility is required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate may have 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) instead.
  • Group “Yellow”:On-arrival test and 5-day home quarantine (or 3-day home quarantine + negative result of a voluntary test) are required, however, those who obtain a valid vaccination certificate are not required to have on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures.
  • Group “Blue”:Regardless of the vaccination status of the entrants/returnees, on-arrival test, home quarantine and other measures are not required.
Vaccine certificate does require three doses of vaccines.
​​​
Red countries:
Albania, Sierra Leone

Yellow countries:
Andorra, Angola, Antigua and Barbuda, Bahamas, Barbados, Belarus, Belize, Bhutan, Botswana, Brunei, Burkina Faso, Cabo Verde, Central African Republic, Chad, Comoros, Cook Island, Cuba, Cyprus, Democratic Republic of the Congo, Dominica, Egypt, Equatorial Guinea, Eritrea, Eswatini, Federated States of Micronesia, Fiji, Gabon, Gambia, Georgia, Grenada, Guinea, Guinea-Bissau, Guyana, Haiti, Honduras, India, Kazakhstan, Kiribati, Kosovo, Kuwait, Lebanon, Lesotho, Liberia, Libya, Liechtenstein, Macau, Maldives, Mali, Malta, Mauritania, Mauritius, Namibia, Nauru, Nicaragua, Niger, Niue, North Korea, North Macedonia, Oman, Pakistan, Palestine, Portugal, Republic of Burundi, Republic of Congo, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of Vanuatu, Saint Christopher and Nevis, Saint Lucia, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Samoa, San Marino, Sao Tome and Principe, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Seychelles, Solomon, Somalia, Sri Lanka, Sudan, Suriname, Syria, Tajikistan, Togo, Tonga, Trinidad and Tobago, Tunisia, Turkey, Turkmenistan, Tuvalu, Ukraine, Uruguay, Uzbekistan, Vatican, Venezuela, Viet Nam, Yemen, Zimbabwe

Blue countries:
Afghanistan, Algeria, Argentine, Armenia, Australia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Belgium, Benin, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Brazil, Bulgaria, Cambodia, Cameroon, Canada, Chile, China, Colombia, Costa Rica, Cote d’lvoire, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Djibouti, Dominican Republic, Ecuador, El Salvador, Estonia, Ethiopia, Finland, France, Germany, Ghana, Greece, Guatemala, Hong Kong, Hungary, Iceland, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica, Jordan, Kenya, Kyrgyz, Laos, Latvia, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Madagascar, Malawi, Malaysia, Mexico, Moldova, Monaco, Mongolia, Montenegro, Morocco, Mozambique, Myanmar, Nepal, Netherlands, New Zealand, Nigeria, Norway, Palau, Panama, Papua New Guinea, Paraguay, Peru, Philippines, Poland, Qatar, Republic of Korea, Romania, Russia, Rwanda, Serbia, Singapore, Slovakia, Slovenia, South Africa, South Sudan, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan, Tanzania, Thailand, Timor-Leste, Uganda, United Arab Emirates, United Kingdom, United States of America, Western Sahara, Zambia

For updates to the lists of countries and territories and changes to the rules check the website of the ministry of foreign affairs https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page4e_001053.html and ask in the thread for clarifications and experiences of entering Japan.
Print Wikipost

Coronavirus impact in Japan [consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 6, 2021, 9:59 am

Originally Posted by mjm
This is very interesting and if the case very impressive indeed. The workplace vaxx centers I was involved with were busy nonstop so I can only imagine how it has been at a municipal level. Pretty impressive indeed, not just those doing the immunizing but the populace for getting themselves there. too.
I hope japan avoids the vocal minority anti vaxxers that have caused this pandemic to continue much longer than needed in countries that should have been fully vaccinated months ago. I am speaking specifically about Canada and Ontario where it is a damn shame and frankly infuriating to have 90 percent of ICU space due to covid cases full of fully unvaccinated when 1 in 1000000 in our ICU are fully vaccinated even without knowing comorbidity infomation. https://covid19-sciencetable.ca/ontario-dashboard/
but even with good data, Facebook, and many other places including flyertalk perpetuate fake crap. It gets tiring.
roberto99 likes this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 11:16 am
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by Topcare
I hope japan avoids the vocal minority anti vaxxers that have caused this pandemic to continue much longer than needed in countries that should have been fully vaccinated months ago. I am speaking specifically about Canada and Ontario where it is a damn shame and frankly infuriating to have 90 percent of ICU space due to covid cases full of fully unvaccinated when 1 in 1000000 in our ICU are fully vaccinated even without knowing comorbidity infomation. https://covid19-sciencetable.ca/ontario-dashboard/
but even with good data, Facebook, and many other places including flyertalk perpetuate fake crap. It gets tiring.
Not to worry, the minority here never wins.
Q Shoe Guy and Topcare like this.
Old Oct 6, 2021, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
On a positive note, the beer machines are back on in HND, I had real glassware on my NH HND-CTS flight on Friday, and the hand dryers are working again in HND! Things are looking up!

-FlyerBeek
For those very keen to use the beer machines in the domestic lounges, they only start operating from 11am and are stopped again at 8pm in line with the prior times of the manbo. I don't know about the international lounges, but I would imagine it to be the same.
​​​​​
Old Oct 6, 2021, 10:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
For those very keen to use the beer machines in the domestic lounges, they only start operating from 11am and are stopped again at 8pm in line with the prior times of the manbo. I don't know about the international lounges, but I would imagine it to be the same.​
Yes. Definitely depends on the lounge location, though. I was surprised to see the woman sitting next to me enjoying a beer at 8am in the CTS NH lounge last weekend.

-FlyerBeek
Old Oct 6, 2021, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: JAL Metal Card (OWE), SAS Eurobonus Gold (*G), Marriott Titanium (LTP), Tokyu Hotels Platinum
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
Yes. Definitely depends on the lounge location, though. I was surprised to see the woman sitting next to me enjoying a beer at 8am in the CTS NH lounge last weekend.

-FlyerBeek
The beer is surprisingly popular at any hour it is available. Not sure I would have appreciated a draft beer at 05:40. So I did not miss the machines this morning
ainternational likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 6:59 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Today’s new cases in Tokyo down 99% from the peak.

Last edited by 5khours; Oct 11, 2021 at 8:32 am
Old Oct 11, 2021, 7:38 am

Programs: JMB
It's really a miracle how low numbers are today. But who cares? It's superb news!
I hope we can enter Japan soon. Rebooked my flights from x-mas to sakura season for free.
I wanna see cherry blossoms with my son
Old Oct 11, 2021, 8:09 am

Programs: Free agent
With Singapore's move to Vaccinated Travel Lane (VTL) opening up more broadly, what's everyone's opinion on whether Japan will favor this method. It's fantastic that the case numbers have dropped so drastically.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 10:08 am
formerly wunderpit

Programs: UA1K-HHDiamond
Originally Posted by Seyan
It's really a miracle how low numbers are today. But who cares? It's superb news!
I hope we can enter Japan soon. Rebooked my flights from x-mas to sakura season for free.
I wanna see cherry blossoms with my son
Oh COME ON, Japan will be open by xmas FOR SURE
Old Oct 11, 2021, 12:43 pm

Programs: Avios
Originally Posted by wunderpit
Oh COME ON, Japan will be open by xmas FOR SURE
Christmas unlikely but March is likely. Almost all of the hardcore ,full lockdown ,no visitors etc. countries ( Singapore , Australia etc ) should be open by then. Of course this is just a guess but 5 months from now things are going to look much different.
LETTERBOY likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 2:31 pm

Programs: Free agent
Second week of January would be nice.
Tilto007 likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 2:43 pm

Originally Posted by CPH-Flyer
Footnote 3 is even more important, the Covidshield Astra Zeneca which is produced under license in India is not recognised by Japan. This version has been used in the UK as well, so AZ inoculated UK travellers have to check their specific AZ vaccine before celebrating.

From 0:00 am (JST) on October 12 2021 Covishield vaccine licensed by AstraZeneca and manufactured by Serum Institute of India is treated as identical to Vaxzevria vaccine, Intramuscular injection manufactured by AstraZeneca and is accepted as a valid vaccination certificate if other conditions are met.

https://www.mofa.go.jp/ca/fna/page24e_000317.html
MSYtoJFKagain likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 3:08 pm

Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
With Singapore's move to Vaccinated Travel Lane (VTL) opening up more broadly, what's everyone's opinion on whether Japan will favor this method. It's fantastic that the case numbers have dropped so drastically.
I'm hoping it'll be a great success, and the rest of SE Asia will be afflicted with the FOMO syndrome triggering all of them to follow suit. In my view, it just takes one; I had always thought it would have been HK, but SG is fine. At this point, I couldn't care less who it is, just any country to lead us out of this insanity.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
Singapore's support of Singapore Airlines you mean? For now VTL travellers have to fly SQ. So while opening, it is not that broad an opening, and I am sure it is not going to be cheap flights....

I would hope Japan found a bit more flexible way to start allowing travellers.
JNelson113 and MSYtoJFKagain like this.
Old Oct 11, 2021, 3:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Updated the wiki with this one, and new countries for accepted vaccine certificates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.