Wiki Posts
Search

Labyrinth in Tokyo

Search this Thread

Old Mar 31, 2019, 10:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: .
Labyrinth in Tokyo

I'll be visiting Tokyo and I am wondering if there are any labyrinth-like or maze-like places I can visit and get lost? For example, as the Kowloon Walled City no longer exists I plan to check out Anato No Warehouse Kawasaki.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yep. Namco Nanja Town in Ikebukuro is a disorientating maze.
I feel similarly about the Don Quijote stores.
The underpasses around Shinjuku Station are third level labyrinths. To heighten the experience, pick a random destination in central Shinjuku before you get there and then, once you’ve arrived by train, ditch your maps and set yourself the task of getting to that destination via an underground route. Sharpen the challenge with a time limit.
PAX_fips, freecia, pauq and 2 others like this.
Old Mar 31, 2019, 11:39 pm

Programs: LH M+M
And try Shinjuku at/after 11pm (randomly closing exits)
LapLap and pauq like this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:08 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Finding your way out of some residential areas can be pretty tough. I picked a random-ish residential location not too far from Shinjuku. Take a taxi from Nakano City to this address and then try to find your way out without a map.

Wakamiya 2-chome, 38, Nakano City

Better yet, try it around 11:30 pm.

Or if you don't want to get out at all try Aokigahara.
PAX_fips likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 12:35 am

Tokyo Station to Higashi Ginza Station Kabuki Za exit walking via underground. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZMeZte8ASs
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:28 am
mjm
Original Member

IKEA?
muji likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by PAX_fips
And try Shinjuku at/after 11pm (randomly closing exits)
Doesn't even need to be after 11pm. For me that place is a 3D labyrinth all day long.
downinit likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 2:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by freecia
Tokyo Station to Higashi Ginza Station Kabuki Za exit walking via underground. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZMeZte8ASs
Oh gracious, you’ve reminded me of the anxiety I used to feel trying to get from Otemachi (Mita) to Tokyo Station - with a buggy - in order to get the train to/from Maihama for Disneyland.
My father-in-law recommended it as the best route.
Could never, ever find the underground route and always had to give up and struggle up stairs in order to locate the stations on ground level.
Found I could manage easily by avoiding it altogether and change at Nagatacho then again at Shin-Kiba.
I still get cold sweats thinking about the Otemachi-Tokyo station underground route. Perhaps it was the buggy that took it to 4th Dan.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 3:17 am

Yes, the underground passages at Shinjuku are THE place to get lost in Tokyo. But the first time at least, don't spoil the experience by looking at a ground map beforehand. Do it blind. Also, best to do it in the early evening at rush hour, when the flow of commuters increases the level of confusion.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: FB Platinum
Otemachi is the one station I generally get disoriented in even as a semi-regular user.

The OP mentioned the Kawasaki warehouse - don't get your hopes up though it's worth a visit if you're passing. It's an exhibit rather than a maze. If you like retro games there are plenty of those there but it can be very smoky in places.
LapLap likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 10:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have a dim memory from 2003 or so of endless passages in a haunted house exhibit in Korakuen Amusement Park (near Tokyo Dome). It was genuinely scary.
I don’t think that particular attraction exists anymore, it was based on X number of doors. There seems to be another one instead.
However, just looked to see if there were others still in operation. Turns out yes, there are:

https://tokyocheapo.com/entertainmen...e-attractions/
First one is called, funnily enough, “Super Scary Labyrinth of Fear”
Old Apr 1, 2019, 1:25 pm

@LapLap I thought about suggesting doing the route with 2 full check in sized luggage, a kid who needs the bathroom halfway through, and opposite traffic during rush hour but that just seemed too mean and likely to traumatize. Station construction already makes it disorienting at stations I'm familiar with (and I'm no slouch at Ikea with shortcuts). You get street cred for even attempting Otemachi to Tokyo with a buggy without a guide or dry run during a quiet time.

TokyoLens has a video which points out some useful points to turn for the same route.
LapLap likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2019, 8:09 pm

Originally Posted by icu222much
I'll be visiting Tokyo and I am wondering if there are any labyrinth-like or maze-like places I can visit and get lost? For example, as the Kowloon Walled City no longer exists I plan to check out Anato No Warehouse Kawasaki.
Teamlab Borderless
Old Apr 3, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
If you can figure out the underground maze below Tokyo station, please let me know. Ameyoko may also be a bit of a maze. Akihabara has or used to have a lot of little electronic hardware shops where I would get lost.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.