Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Has anyone built or purchased a house in Japan?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone built or purchased a house in Japan?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: Route Inn Super Mega Ultra Platmond, AA credit card stooge, Fee-Paying Customer of JL, NH, LH,
Originally Posted by evergrn
When you say the foundation looked good, did you hire an inspector?

In US, you don't buy a house without a professional inspection or pre-inspection. You have one or two inspectors lined up and ready to go, because you need to move fast if you want to buy a good used home in a competitive market. I guess in Jpn, I'm told there are home inspectors although most people don't use them. Is that because it's expensive? It's frowned upon by the seller/realtor? Buyers trust their realtors? Inspectors are hard to find? Who knows?

If I were to buy in Jpn, it'd probably have to be used, but I'd be clueless when it comes to assessing homes.
We didn’t purchase the used Sekisui House property. The Sekisui Heim house we did buy has a 20 year warranty. My wife says she would have asked for an inspection of the used house, although we may have been able to transfer that house’s warranty to our name. I did have the opportunity to look underneath the used house at its foundation, which looked brand new with zero damage (it had gone through the 2011 earthquake), though of course I am not an expert. What I did conclude, after looking at 40+ used and new houses, is that Sekisui House is the best quality house maker overall, even though we did not ultimately buy from them.

We were also very close to buying from Nihon House HD, which builds beautiful hinoki cypress houses. But Heim ultimately represented the best combination of features and price.

I strongly recommend Sekisui House, Sekisui Heim, Nihon House, and Misawa among the famous makers. Panasonic Homes is also very competitive. Hebel Haus (Asahi Kasei) was nice, but not what we were looking for.
evergrn likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:56 am
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by groovbusta
Congrats on the build! We debated buying land for a custom build vs a condo and ended up buying a new condo from one of the big Japanese developers, since we thought it would be easier on the resale market as we may be leaving Japan in the next 5 years or so. Would still love to do a custom build some day.
This will depend on the area nut anything in the central 3 wards + Shinjuku and Shibuya will be fine and Meguro and Setagaya are also well positioned for great resale values. Anything further out and it is riskier but there are always exceptions.
keihin_242 and evergrn like this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:59 am
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by keihin_242

We didn’t purchase the used Sekisui House property. The Sekisui Heim house we did buy has a 20 year warranty. My wife says she would have asked for an inspection of the used house, although we may have been able to transfer that house’s warranty to our name. I did have the opportunity to look underneath the used house at its foundation, which looked brand new with zero damage (it had gone through the 2011 earthquake), though of course I am not an expert. What I did conclude, after looking at 40+ used and new houses, is that Sekisui House is the best quality house maker overall, even though we did not ultimately buy from them.

We were also very close to buying from Nihon House HD, which builds beautiful hinoki cypress houses. But Heim ultimately represented the best combination of features and price.

I strongly recommend Sekisui House, Sekisui Heim, Nihon House, and Misawa among the famous makers. Panasonic Homes is also very competitive. Hebel Haus (Asahi Kasei) was nice, but not what we were looking for.
I think the key thing is getting steel frame construction or at the very least Steel Reinforced Concrete (SRC). It sounds like you chose a real winner here.
keihin_242 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
Originally Posted by mjm
This will depend on the area nut anything in the central 3 wards + Shinjuku and Shibuya will be fine and Meguro and Setagaya are also well positioned for great resale values. Anything further out and it is riskier but there are always exceptions.
Yeah, we bought in Ebisu from Mitsubishi Jisho so should be ok.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 5:26 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by groovbusta
Yeah, we bought in Ebisu from Mitsubishi Jisho so should be ok.
Fantastic investment especially as the wealthier population nexus slides towards Ebisu and Meguro.
groovbusta likes this.
Old Aug 21, 2018, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by mjm
If the house is older than 15 years you absolutely use an inspector. They will sign their certification and if it meets existing earthquake standards for construction it will allow you to collect 10 years worth of Jutaku Kojo (real estate rebates set at 1-2% of 20-40mil yen in loan value.
Okay. Thanks for clarifying that the practice of home inspection at the time of purchase is not unccomon in Jpn.

Very good information in this thread, that's for sure.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 5:48 am

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Now that the dollar is so high against the Yen (today at close to 146), has anyone thought of investing in Japanese real estate? I see Japan entering a period of higher inflation which will increase asset prices in nominal terms, plus I don't see the Yen remaining at such low levels for a very long time.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 6:01 am

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by YariGuy
Now that the dollar is so high against the Yen (today at close to 146), has anyone thought of investing in Japanese real estate?
Quite a few. Chinese money is pouring into the Tokyo condo market lately and creating what seems to be a small bubble. Those properties are probably terrible investments at the prices currently being paid. Land and detached houses still seem to be pretty cheap, even in Tokyo and other major cities. Construction costs are currently very high due to labor shortages and the effect of the exchange rate on imported materials.
YariGuy likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2023, 7:52 pm

Originally Posted by YariGuy
has anyone thought of investing in Japanese real estate?
Ha ha, "investing" is not necessarily the term I would use in regards to purchasing property in Japan. With a declining population and a massive surplus of unoccupied homes (I think is about 8 million empty places),, there is also the fact that housing in Japan devalues over time, much the same way a car depreciates in value.

Unlike most other first-world countries, real estate generally goes down in value in Japan because people prefer to buy only newly built dwellings, and anything over 25 years old is simply considered not worth anything (those familiar with Japan will also know of this number regarding the "Christmas cake" concept with women, though anyone with a bit of a brain will realize that both with housing and with finding a partner this irrationality presents a lot of great opportunities, as long as you are interested in a life-long commitment, and not just a turn-over "investment").

As noted by joejones , Chinese are buying property in Tokyo, and also in many other places, especially Kyushu. Though this is now giving an injection for price increases, much of this isn't necessarily for financial investment, but more like a bug-out plan for their own domestic troubles.

For one, many of these purchases are by Taiwanese, who worry about a brewing war or embargo with mainland China, and are seeking a re-location option to keep just in case. Others buying property in Japan are from Hong Kong, who see the writing on the wall with soon losing their autonomy (its already happening actually) and also want to have a back-up for when that inevitably happens. And for those from the mainland who are buying property in Japan, most of those are just looking to escape their own economic, authoritarian, and environmental issues (aside from their draconian Covid response, just look at the news on the current Beijing floods, or with the Country Garden debacle).

So if looking to own a home indefinitely as a residence and without seeking any financial return, yeah, there are lots of potentially great options that can be had for what you may consider a very good price (mostly outside of Tokyo and Okinawa). But if looking to do so only as an real estate investment without actually living there, then its a total gamble, and the chips are stacked against you.
YariGuy likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 2:20 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Bought a house in the countryside 40 years ago. It's probably lost 75% of its value, but considering the use I got out of it, it turned out to be a great investment.
YariGuy likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 3:49 am

Programs: SQ:TPPS, Marriott: Titanium
Unlike the US or some European market, condo, especially the higher end one, in general hold better value in Japan. It’s a straight line depreciation for landed houses in Japan. The usual builder grade bldgs basically worth nothing after 20-25 years. Don’t think the concept of fixer-upper exists in Japan. Anyway, agreed it’s not really a market worth investing given the demographics (oh and don’t forget the capital gain tax if there is any gain lol, 40% if hold under 5 year and 20% if more than 5).
YariGuy likes this.

Last edited by williamluk; Aug 17, 2023 at 4:19 am
Old Aug 17, 2023, 4:52 am

Programs: MU Platinum, HH Diamond
Ok, I've been convinced. It doesn't seem like a great idea...

If and when Japan's demographic / immigration trends change I'll revisit, but I won't be holding my breath.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 4:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is there a route to PR/citizenship via real estate/asset purchase in Japan which allows one to park their cash (kind of like a golden visa etc.) then send the kids over to live. go to school while the adult(s) stay behind and work in their birth countries ?
Old Aug 17, 2023, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by Q Shoe Guy
Is there a route to PR/citizenship via real estate/asset purchase in Japan which allows one to park their cash (kind of like a golden visa etc.) then send the kids over to live. go to school while the adult(s) stay behind and work in their birth countries ?
No. There is nothing of the sort. Simply owning property in Japan does not entitle someone to a resident visa. But if you just want your kids to go to school here, you can probably just get them student visas (though they would probably need to be in a private school which takes int'l students, not a regular public school)

Its possible to get a business owner's visa for starting a new company (its not that complicated actually and the initial investment can be less than US$ 35,000), but it can't really be a shell company and would need to show viability and/or profitability in order to get the visa re-newed. But like with any resident visa, you must pay pension, health care, and taxes on all income, which for any resident of Japan includes any income generated abroad (if a J-citizen goes abroad to work, they can remove their official residency so as to not be liable for such taxation, but non-citizen residents, including PRs, can not do this).

And as far as "parking cash" in Japan, ha ha, go ahead, you'd love the interest rates here. CDs and savings currently pay less than 0.01% and 10 year bonds also pay zero-point-something. (the fact that Japan has defiantly not jacked up its interest rates like the US is why the dollar-yen exchange rate is currently so out of whack)
Q Shoe Guy likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2023, 6:37 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by alan11
Its possible to get a business owner's visa for starting a new company (its not that complicated actually and the initial investment can be less than US$ 35,000), but it can't really be a shell company and would need to show viability and/or profitability in order to get the visa re-newed. But like with any resident visa, you must pay pension, health care, and taxes on all income, which for any resident of Japan includes any income generated abroad (if a J-citizen goes abroad to work, they can remove their official residency so as to not be liable for such taxation, but non-citizen residents, including PRs, can not do this).
Until you become a permanent resident for tax purposes (i.e. live in Japan for five of the last ten years), any foreign-sourced income only gets taxed in Japan if it is remitted to Japan. So a smart high net worth foreigner would keep their assets overseas and make sure they spend <50% of their time resident in Japan (I know one person who moves back and forth to/from Singapore for this reason).
Q Shoe Guy and alan11 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.