Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

Has anyone built or purchased a house in Japan?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Has anyone built or purchased a house in Japan?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:05 am

Programs: UA MM *G, NH Plat/SFC, HH Diamond, GE
Haven't been to Yuzawa area in over a decade, but makes sense that they would get more English friendly to attract more tourist dollars. Again, the main attraction of Hokkaido for me is the better snow and terrain.

Are you interested in buying in Yuzawa for personal use or investment? I've seen some of the news articles you mention about Yuzawa condo owners trying to unload their properties and based on the numbers you shared, it makes sense. For a vacation home, the owner would expect to be able to rent out the property when they aren't using it personally. But with an over-supply of aging condos, the owners basically can't ever rent it out. If the condo is for personal use only, how many days/weeks would you expect to actually stay in the property? 500,000 yen purchase price (not including the cost to payoff the previous owner's unpaid HOA's) plus another 500,000+ yen per year in maintenance fees, property taxes, etc., wouldn't it make more sense to stay in one of the many well-kept hotel properties near the shinkansen station or the ski resort itself?
Old Aug 9, 2018, 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by groovbusta
Are you interested in buying in Yuzawa for personal use or investment? I've seen some of the news articles you mention about Yuzawa condo owners trying to unload their properties and based on the numbers you shared, it makes sense. For a vacation home, the owner would expect to be able to rent out the property when they aren't using it personally. But with an over-supply of aging condos, the owners basically can't ever rent it out. If the condo is for personal use only, how many days/weeks would you expect to actually stay in the property? 500,000 yen purchase price (not including the cost to payoff the previous owner's unpaid HOA's) plus another 500,000+ yen per year in maintenance fees, property taxes, etc., wouldn't it make more sense to stay in one of the many well-kept hotel properties near the shinkansen station or the ski resort itself?
Pay for the previous owner's unpaid HOA fees?! Didn't even think about that.
I would buy it partially for personal use. We'd probably spend just a few days there, couple times a year, which might amount to 200k~250k yen savings per year in what would otherwise go to hotel stay. Certainly not enough to offset the yearly cost of ownership. I think chances of being able to rent it out would be low.
So it'd make no sense to buy if I knew for sure the value would never go up. I wonder if it could go up, though. Foreigners are buying up properties in other resort areas such as Hokkaido and Karuizawa, and that boom could eventually trickle down to Yuzawa, etc.

Then again, I've read that condos/mansions in Jpn that are >50yo have no value. If that's the case, and that rule applies to Yuzawa, then it'd really argue against buying one of these 30yo properties in Yuzawa. The more I think about it, the more I get the sense that this is low-risk/low-reward situation.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 2:34 am

Originally Posted by evergrn
Pay for the previous owner's unpaid HOA fees?! Didn't even think about that.
Yeah, that's a big reason a lot of the building associations are buying back those vacant units, so they can cancel the unpaid fees and dues and then sell at a more attractive price. The problem is that the monthly HOA fees will likely increase at a faster rate in order to keep the maintenance fund at the proper level. The challenge is that elderly residents on fixed incomes are much less likely to approve increases in the maintenance fees, so the risk of a building falling into disrepair is real.

And you're right, for the highest grade reinforced concrete buildings, they will fully depreciate in about 50 years. The life of the building may be longer but the cost to maintain will probably be prohibitive.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 3:29 am
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by groovbusta
Yeah, that's a big reason a lot of the building associations are buying back those vacant units, so they can cancel the unpaid fees and dues and then sell at a more attractive price. The problem is that the monthly HOA fees will likely increase at a faster rate in order to keep the maintenance fund at the proper level. The challenge is that elderly residents on fixed incomes are much less likely to approve increases in the maintenance fees, so the risk of a building falling into disrepair is real.

And you're right, for the highest grade reinforced concrete buildings, they will fully depreciate in about 50 years. The life of the building may be longer but the cost to maintain will probably be prohibitive.
This is interesting to me as I work in real estate. And own a home in Tokyo. On the depreciation fate of buildings, I would look at 30 years without renovation and maybe another 15 with. And that is for the very best buildings in Tokyo. An interesting data point is that the average age of Japanese home is 28 years due to rebuilds happening. While 40-50 year old homes do exist they are truly outliers and looking at an upper end of 35-40 years is much more realistic. That said the 40 year old home that is built well can easily pass the rigid earthquake standards inspection and the owner can qualify for 10 years of tax rebates.

Interesting convo, keep it going....
keihin_242 likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:35 pm

I have nothing to add, other than this thread is kind of why FT is so great.
Old Aug 10, 2018, 6:48 pm

Originally Posted by mjm
On the depreciation fate of buildings, I would look at 30 years without renovation and maybe another 15 with. And that is for the very best buildings in Tokyo
If that’s the case, then throwing down $700k USD for a condo in Kiroro or $1mill in Niseko seems like a complete waste of money, unless you’re going to live there full-time (which almost no buyers will) or the Hokkaido market is somehow destined towards different future from the rest of Jpn (and more aligned with US) such that condo/mansion values will not depreciate.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 12:40 am
mjm
Original Member

If that’s the case, then throwing down $700k USD for a condo in Kiroro or $1mill in Niseko seems like a complete waste of money, unless you’re going to live there full-time (which almost no buyers will) or the Hokkaido market is somehow destined towards different future from the rest of Jpn (and more aligned with US) such that condo/mansion values will not depreciate.
This is a good assessment in my mind. The concept of property investment is not big here and prices are derived largely for residents rather than investors. The property market here is on a continued upswing with no end in sight in many of the major urban areas but in the exactly opposite direction in rural areas. This is an interesting time to be alive here for sure.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
I built a house in Nagano. I use it a lot and had a cheap mortgage so for me it was a good deal. In general though I would be very cautious about buying any kind of resort/rural property. The chances of appreciation are pretty low IMHO, and Niseko/Hokkaido seems grossly overpriced to me.

That said if you expect to use a resort condo/house a lot, you can find some really good properties in the second hand market. Also if you buy/build at higher elevations or in colder climates where there is less humidity and do normal maintenance, a well built house will last a long time.
Old Aug 11, 2018, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by 5khours
I built a house in Nagano.
Did you build the house at/near ski resort?
I guess getting a house built is an option, but I assume it's complicated.
Would be nice to have a place that's useful in winter (near skiing), in summer (high altitude, like >1000m), easy to get to (within 90min from Tokyo). If I could have such place, we'd use it a lot.
Where would be a place like that be?
Karuizawa? Too expensive.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 10:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: A3, TK *G; JL JGC; SPG,Hilton Gold
or, they are selling to the foreign investors who thinks japanese real estate would appreciate. add to that they may ski twice a year.
Even to rent it out as premium accomodation during ski season... i dont think it would pay out after management fees n stuff!?
Old Aug 15, 2018, 7:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: Route Inn Super Mega Ultra Platmond, AA credit card stooge, Fee-Paying Customer of JL, NH, LH,
OP here. This thread took off far beyond what I expected, but here is an update.

Mrs. keihin_242 and I purchased a new model home from Sekisui Heim, not to be confused with Sekisui House, a related but separate company. It’s a steel frame unit construction house, and we were able to buy at a discount because other prospective buyers were disapproved for loans (we paid cash). Notably, Heim installed their “Kaiteki Eiiri” central HVAC system on the first floor, which has been very helpful over this miserable summer. The HVAC system also includes a high-grade air filter system (exceeding HEPA standards) that continually cleans and recirculates all the air in the house.

Our second choice was a seven year old wooden house built by Sekisui House. While we declined to purchase because the house was too small, I can attest that Sekisui House’s build quality and durability is top-notch; the doors still closed quietly and snugly as if they were new, and the foundation still looked freshly laid. I am confident anyone who has the chance to buy a used Sekisui House property is buying a great house, assuming the owner has taken care of it.

We are very pleased with our Sekisui Heim house. It has been convenient and comfortable to live in. It also was my wife’s choice, which I have been assured is the key to a successful house purchase.
kevincrumbs likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 5:27 pm
mjm
Original Member

Originally Posted by keihin_242
OP here. This thread took off far beyond what I expected, but here is an update.

Mrs. keihin_242 and I purchased a new model home from Sekisui Heim, not to be confused with Sekisui House, a related but separate company. It’s a steel frame unit construction house, and we were able to buy at a discount because other prospective buyers were disapproved for loans (we paid cash). Notably, Heim installed their “Kaiteki Eiiri” central HVAC system on the first floor, which has been very helpful over this miserable summer. The HVAC system also includes a high-grade air filter system (exceeding HEPA standards) that continually cleans and recirculates all the air in the house.

Our second choice was a seven year old wooden house built by Sekisui House. While we declined to purchase because the house was too small, I can attest that Sekisui House’s build quality and durability is top-notch; the doors still closed quietly and snugly as if they were new, and the foundation still looked freshly laid. I am confident anyone who has the chance to buy a used Sekisui House property is buying a great house, assuming the owner has taken care of it.

We are very pleased with our Sekisui Heim house. It has been convenient and comfortable to live in. It also was my wife’s choice, which I have been assured is the key to a successful house purchase.
Awesome. Congratulations! The steel frame really is the only way to go. I love the filtering oin my air-con I put in a couple years ago too. Keeps pollen sufferers in a happy place.
keihin_242 likes this.
Old Aug 15, 2018, 10:59 pm

I can attest that Sekisui House’s build quality and durability is top-notch; the doors still closed quietly and snugly as if they were new, and the foundation still looked freshly laid. I am confident anyone who has the chance to buy a used Sekisui House property is buying a great house, assuming the owner has taken care of it.
When you say the foundation looked good, did you hire an inspector?

In US, you don't buy a house without a professional inspection or pre-inspection. You have one or two inspectors lined up and ready to go, because you need to move fast if you want to buy a good used home in a competitive market. I guess in Jpn, I'm told there are home inspectors although most people don't use them. Is that because it's expensive? It's frowned upon by the seller/realtor? Buyers trust their realtors? Inspectors are hard to find? Who knows?

If I were to buy in Jpn, it'd probably have to be used, but I'd be clueless when it comes to assessing homes.
keihin_242 likes this.
Old Aug 16, 2018, 12:06 am
mjm
Original Member

When you say the foundation looked good, did you hire an inspector?

In US, you don't buy a house without a professional inspection or pre-inspection. You have one or two inspectors lined up and ready to go, because you need to move fast if you want to buy a good used home in a competitive market. I guess in Jpn, I'm told there are home inspectors although most people don't use them. Is that because it's expensive? It's frowned upon by the seller/realtor? Buyers trust their realtors? Inspectors are hard to find? Who knows?

If I were to buy in Jpn, it'd probably have to be used, but I'd be clueless when it comes to assessing homes.
If the house is older than 15 years you absolutely use an inspector. They will sign their certification and if it meets existing earthquake standards for construction it will allow you to collect 10 years worth of Jutaku Kojo (real estate rebates set at 1-2% of 20-40mil yen in loan value.
keihin_242 likes this.

Last edited by mjm; Aug 16, 2018 at 5:55 am
Old Aug 16, 2018, 2:37 am

Congrats on the build! We debated buying land for a custom build vs a condo and ended up buying a new condo from one of the big Japanese developers, since we thought it would be easier on the resale market as we may be leaving Japan in the next 5 years or so. Would still love to do a custom build some day.
keihin_242 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.