Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ski-in/out resort

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2019, 10:42 pm
Original Poster

Rusutsu

Going to Rusutsu shortly, and I'd like to know the following.

Which are some of the easier Red (intermediate) runs, and some of the easier Diamond (advanced) runs?
The former would be for my family, the latter for myself.
We're mainly interested in Isola and East Mtns, since staying at Westin.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 4:22 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
All reds on Isola and East Mountain are great, Isola Grand is rather crowded and therefore conditions can be strenuous, same goes for the lower part of Steamboat A. Heavenly view and ridge a my favorites. The black ridge is suitable for advanced skiiers as it is groomed - and a lot of fun for speed junkies.

Diamonds: heavenly canyon depends on snow conditions, isola a and super east are on the seriously difficult side.

Don't overlook west mountain. All runs are very nice albeit short, particularly in the morning when you are one of the first skiiers (elite!) . Giant is good for high speed runs.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
@evergrn

- Yes, kanko and onsen are joined seamlessly at 3 or 4 points or small side trails. Super easy to get from one to the other. Joint lift ticket is ¥15000 for 3 days.
- Yes there is a shuttle bus that runs between the different ski areas. Unfortunately I didn't visit any of them cos I took group ski lessons every day, and so we just stuck to kanko and onsen. I did notice that the 9am bus from akakura tended to be really crowded though, and that too on a weekday.
- I stayed in a ryokan around 5mins walk from ski shuttle, 10mins walk from kanko base lift. Wasn't too bad not having ski in ski out this time cos myoko snowsports let's you store skis at the base lift so you just need to carry boots to and from the hotel, and just strap up at the base lift. Kanko Hotel was waaaaay too expensive for my tastes lol.
​​​​​​- Yes most (all?) lifts were running. Other than Friday when it seems all the Japanese high schoolers from nearby came out for snowboard lessons, pistes pretty deserted and no lift lines.
- Regarding the 1 or 2 days thing, I guess it depends how many times you are OK to repeat runs. Certainly for me, doing the same 4 or 5 runs (the champion B run is an easy black) over and over got boring by day 3.

Last edited by shuigao; Feb 4, 2019 at 6:18 pm
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:23 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shuigao
@evergrn

- Yes, kanko and onsen are joined seamlessly at 3 or 4 points or small side trails. Super easy to get from one to the other. Joint lift ticket is ¥15000 for 3 days.
- Yes there is a shuttle bus that runs between the different ski areas. Unfortunately I didn't visit any of them cos I took group ski lessons every day, and so we just stuck to kanko and onsen. I did notice that the 9am bus from akakura tended to be really crowded though, and that too on a weekday.
- I stayed in a ryokan around 5mins walk from ski shuttle, 10mins walk from kanko base lift. Wasn't too bad not having ski in ski out this time cos myoko snowsports let's you store skis at the base lift so you just need to carry boots to and from the hotel, and just strap up at the base lift. Kanko Hotel was waaaaay too expensive for my tastes lol.
​​​​​​- Yes most (all?) lifts were running. Other than Friday when it seems all the Japanese high schoolers from nearby came out for snowboard lessons, pistes pretty deserted and no lift lines.
- Regarding the 1 or 2 days thing, I guess it depends how many times you are OK to repeat runs. Certainly for me, doing the same 4 or 5 runs (the champion B run is an easy black) over and over got boring by day 3.
Thanks a lot for the detailed info/reply!
Akakura Kanko Hotel is way too expensive. Who would stay there, and who do they (hotel owners) think they are?!!
Are you done skiing for the season, or do you have another trip lined up?
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

duplicate
Old Feb 4, 2019, 7:33 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
All reds on Isola and East Mountain are great, Isola Grand is rather crowded and therefore conditions can be strenuous, same goes for the lower part of Steamboat A. Heavenly view and ridge a my favorites. The black ridge is suitable for advanced skiiers as it is groomed - and a lot of fun for speed junkies.

Diamonds: heavenly canyon depends on snow conditions, isola a and super east are on the seriously difficult side.

Don't overlook west mountain. All runs are very nice albeit short, particularly in the morning when you are one of the first skiiers (elite!) . Giant is good for high speed runs.
Thanks for the info!
Ok I will consider trying out the West Mtn side. We're staying at Westin (only 2 nights) and I'm not sure whether we're supposed to have our skis stored at the hotel or at the base of East Mtn (where I'm told the rental is at). It seems like the West is easy to get to from the East base, but not so easy from Westin (slow monorail which apparently goes to Rusutsu Resort Hotel rather than the slopes?).
Any impression as to which are the easier red courses and easier black courses?
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:13 am

Programs: Spire RA, 1865 Voyager, Bonvoy Titanium, FB LP, LH SEN.
Originally Posted by evergrn
Thanks for the info!
Ok I will consider trying out the West Mtn side. We're staying at Westin (only 2 nights) and I'm not sure whether we're supposed to have our skis stored at the hotel or at the base of East Mtn (where I'm told the rental is at). It seems like the West is easy to get to from the East base, but not so easy from Westin (slow monorail which apparently goes to Rusutsu Resort Hotel rather than the slopes?).
Any impression as to which are the easier red courses and easier black courses?
Sorry if I wasn't clear
Easier red:
Heavenly view
Heavenly ridge B
Bambi
Eva
all others aren't that difficult either, however, they see a lot of skiiers so conditions may deteriorate over the day

Easier black:
Heavenly ridge A
Giant
Elite
Dynamic
Across B
Old Feb 5, 2019, 8:07 pm
Original Poster

@Chinatrvl
Thanks a lot! This is very helpful.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 3:11 am

Originally Posted by 5khours
Tree skier here, but you need to be super careful. Even at slow speeds the physics between falling on a slope and sliding and hitting a tree and stopping instantaneously are totally different. Super easy way to kill yourself. Seriously.

Yeah, I think I found out quite early on that skiis react REALLY differently in the ungroomed stuff in between the trees (especially when you're trying to shed speed or turn). The trees I was in seemed quite safe though, cos they were right next to a beginner run (and had the same shallow gradient), so I never really picked up enough speed to feel like I'd lose control and slam into a tree.

Originally Posted by evergrn
Are you done skiing for the season, or do you have another trip lined up?
Was initially thinking of a late-season jaunt up north to Aomori/Hokkaido, but it appears that Mrs shuigao is now 6 or 7 weeks expecting a shuigao jr ... so uhhhhh ... probably no more trips for this season and next
Cynicor likes this.

Last edited by shuigao; Feb 8, 2019 at 5:30 pm
Old Feb 8, 2019, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by shuigao
Was initially thinking of a late-season jaunt up north to Aomori/Hokkaido, but it appears that Mrs shuigao is now 6 or 7 weeks expecting a shuigao jr ... so uhhhhh ... probably no more trips for this season and next
Congratulations on the baby!!!
shuigao likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 12:04 am

https://www.snowjapan.com/japan-daily-snow-weather-reports/Myoko-Now

Geez myoko kogen area is crazy this season. Almost 14m of snowfall and its not even the middle of February.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:54 am

In Myoko it can be too much. It's very wet, heavy snow and then it can get warm and sunny so even heavier. Good for slides in the backcountry and hard to move on the piste!
Old Feb 12, 2019, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cynicor
It's very wet, heavy snow and then it can get warm and sunny so even heavier. Good for slides in the backcountry and hard to move on the piste!
That's how it is at Whistler.
Old Feb 15, 2019, 4:22 am

Just a really short video on akakura onsen/kanko.

Didn't take vids of most of the actual runs, sorry bout that (was taking lessons this time and I didn't really want to have to fiddle around with cameras and stuff).
Old Feb 19, 2019, 6:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Chinatrvl
Easier red:
Heavenly view
Heavenly ridge B
Bambi
Eva
all others aren't that difficult either, however, they see a lot of skiiers so conditions may deteriorate over the day

Easier black:
Heavenly ridge A
Giant
Elite
Dynamic
Across B
Rusutsu is great.
Will file a more detailed report later.

You were spot on with above info.
Heavenly Ridge A (Diamond) should definitely be Intermediate, Heavenly View (Intermediate) should be beginner.
The only thing I would say is Across B was extremely difficult. I'm not very good, but I really struggled with its crazy gradient and nasty moguls.
Dynamic, Elite, Izola B are all fine. I love Giant, but there's almost no flat place to put skis on at top of West Gondola!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.