Reload this Page >

Ski-in/out resort

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Ski-in/out resort

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2019, 6:11 pm

Those numbers are not useful measures of snow quality.
once you have a base you have a base. Adding another metre onto it doesn't help much.
more important is high and low temps, rainfall numbers and sunshine/hours over 3 degrees.

Anytime melt happens or rain falls the quality of the base deteriorates and you get melt-freeze cycles. You end up skiing or riding on bulletproof ice. I'd take 20cm of snow in 2 weeks of sub -5c temps over 60cm snow in variable melt-freeze conditions.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 4:06 am
Original Poster

Okay, thanks. This is quite complicated, but I'm learning!
Cynicor likes this.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 5:09 am

If you've skiied late feb/march or later, you may have noticed that the best skiing seems to be around midday if it hasn't snowed for a while?

in the early am the ground is heating up from the overnight freeze/low temps. It's hard ice that gets more and more compacted.

then the sun starts to melt it- kind of spring skiing, assuming it's not too hot and turning everything to soft slush. Then you get some ok skiing/riding and turns are a little more forgiving as you aren't needing to cut into ice.

But then as it gets later, colder or the sun drops over the ridge it gets colder. Then it starts to freeze and you get really uneven piste and it's even less fun than the morning. Time to head in for Après.

Japan, esp the north, is highly skiiable in March. But I'd head as far north as I could.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 6:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Cynicor
If you've skiied late feb/march or later, you may have noticed that the best skiing seems to be around midday if it hasn't snowed for a while?

in the early am the ground is heating up from the overnight freeze/low temps. It's hard ice that gets more and more compacted.

then the sun starts to melt it- kind of spring skiing, assuming it's not too hot and turning everything to soft slush. Then you get some ok skiing/riding and turns are a little more forgiving as you aren't needing to cut into ice.

But then as it gets later, colder or the sun drops over the ridge it gets colder. Then it starts to freeze and you get really uneven piste and it's even less fun than the morning. Time to head in for Après.

Japan, esp the north, is highly skiiable in March. But I'd head as far north as I could.
What you describe makes total sense and I've definitely experienced it on many occasions. But recently there have been deviations.
For whatever reason, when it gets warmer (like 2-7C range), I've seen different things happen. I've experienced heavy wet snow, then the snow either stay wet or become packed in the afternoon. I've also experienced powdery snow in such condition, either staying powdery in the afternoon or becoming harder in the afternoon. I'm guessing the quality of grooming and the inherent snow quality influence things. One thing for sure is that rain absolutely makes it miserable every time.

My recent recollections:
- Dec/Jan in Niigata: fresh snow; temp around 0C; semi-powdery all day long.
- Jan in Whistler: mainly stuck to skiing in mid-mountain as it was raining bottom 1/3 and blizzard top 1/3; temp was probably just below freezing and was windy and snowing mid-mountain so new snow. Despite fresh snow and low-enough temp, for some reason very heavy wet snow (although I don't recall it being slushy either) which became hard-packed in spots in the afternoon.
- March in Kiroro: sunny, temp probably around 0C give/take couple degrees depending on part of the mountain; last snowed ~1 week prior; felt somewhat powdery on the surface but definitely nothing like my return visit later in the year.
- Dec in Kiroro: fresh snow continuing to dump; below freezing temp; absolute powder city from morning till closing.
- Feb in Rusutsu: similar condition as Kiroro in March but with no fresh snow in a while; best condition was definitely in the morning when the snow felt powdery; never became slushy despite above-freezing temp; instead the slopes felt harder each day starting ~1pm already.
- March in Whistler: sunny or cloudy with temp ranging from around -2 to maybe 8C depending on where you were on the mountain. No recent snow, so was prepared for bad snow but then the hotel concierge told me the condition was the best she'd seen in a long time. She was right! The snow was actually powdery (although not quite the light dry powder I had in Kiroro in Dec) and it stayed that way from morning till closing. No idea where that snow came from, as this was the very unusual for Whistler which has always had subpar wet snow in prior experiences.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by Cynicor
Ah, I ski'ied in Avoriaz in mid-March two seasons ago. The pistes start out icy as heck in the early mornings, then it softens a bit in the late morning to early afternoon (and is actually really quite fun). But by mid afternoon onwards it gets really slushy and heavy, so my ski group just gave up by like 3pm every day.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 7:13 pm

Ah- whistler and Japan. Then you get into the intricacies of continental vs coastal snowpacks. It can be a lifetime of study, I only learn what I need to forecast localised avalanche risk, but the principles apply across the board.

skiers have much more fun on te late season variable terrain than boarders I reckon, which is why I'll ski at those times and ride earlier in season.

back to Japan late Jan next year. Hopefully a hut camping trip from Sapporo.
evergrn likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:03 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: FlyingBlue | Krisflyer | SPG | HHonors
Originally Posted by evergrn
My recent recollections:
- Dec/Jan in Niigata: fresh snow; temp around 0C; semi-powdery all day long.
- Jan in Whistler: mainly stuck to skiing in mid-mountain as it was raining bottom 1/3 and blizzard top 1/3; temp was probably just below freezing and was windy and snowing mid-mountain so new snow. Despite fresh snow and low-enough temp, for some reason very heavy wet snow (although I don't recall it being slushy either) which became hard-packed in spots in the afternoon.
- March in Kiroro: sunny, temp probably around 0C give/take couple degrees depending on part of the mountain; last snowed ~1 week prior; felt somewhat powdery on the surface but definitely nothing like my return visit later in the year.
- Dec in Kiroro: fresh snow continuing to dump; below freezing temp; absolute powder city from morning till closing.
- Feb in Rusutsu: similar condition as Kiroro in March but with no fresh snow in a while; best condition was definitely in the morning when the snow felt powdery; never became slushy despite above-freezing temp; instead the slopes felt harder each day starting ~1pm already.
- March in Whistler: sunny or cloudy with temp ranging from around -2 to maybe 8C depending on where you were on the mountain. No recent snow, so was prepared for bad snow but then the hotel concierge told me the condition was the best she'd seen in a long time. She was right! The snow was actually powdery (although not quite the light dry powder I had in Kiroro in Dec) and it stayed that way from morning till closing. No idea where that snow came from, as this was the very unusual for Whistler which has always had subpar wet snow in prior experiences.
Snow in Hokkaido doesn't really become slushy that easily due to the colder temperatures. If no new snow, it tends to harden like ice. Generally you want to ski the face of the mountain facing the morning sun if there are no new snow as that will soften the snowpack a bit especially in the spring time.

As for Whistler, the Alpine conditions (7th Heaven, Glacier, Harmony and Symphony) are always pretty good even if there are no new snow due to the winds and light accumulations in the night time. Whistler village base is also very low in elevation compared to other ski areas so the lower part of the mountain has very bad snow conditions if the weather is warm and there are no new snow. Whistler also has some of the wettest snow and thus heavier compared to the light snow in Japan, but the terrain is unmatchable by most Japanese ski areas.
evergrn likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Really appreciate all the pointers in here -- looks like Hokkaido is the winner. Now just debating whether we'll still be in good shape if we leave the US on March 17-19 timeframe or if we have to leave more like March 14 (which is more limiting on our schedule with days off since it knocks out the weekend)
evergrn likes this.
Old May 12, 2019, 1:51 am
Original Poster

Looks like real onsen is coming back to Westin Rusutsu this summer.
It had been just regular heated water the last couple years.
Certainly good news, although this doesn't help with the crowd. Was extremely crowded during my stay this past Feb even though the hotel wasn't sold out.
Old May 12, 2019, 7:47 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Looks like real onsen is coming back to Westin Rusutsu this summer.
It had been just regular heated water the last couple years.
Certainly good news, although this doesn't help with the crowd. Was extremely crowded during my stay this past Feb even though the hotel wasn't sold out.
Try farting in the water.
Old May 12, 2019, 2:15 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jib71
Try farting in the water.
yes put some extra mineral in there
Old Aug 19, 2019, 2:17 am
Original Poster

Maybe this is not a news for everyone, but I'd forgotten about it.

https://www.kiroro.co.jp/news/ski-in-ski-out/

With the new gondola linking the new condo and the Tribute Hotel with the slopes, Tribute Hotel is now ski-in/out.
I have 2 concerns:
- How is it possible to ski down from Sheraton to Tribute? It looks almost completely flat there.
- This gondola seems to drop you off a bit away from all the lifts other than the bunny lift (esp far from the main gondola and Nagamine chairlift).

Another ski season is only a few months away!
Heading back to Rusutsu in Feb. Still not sure about Dec, but that one will have to be closer to Tokyo.
dagangwood likes this.
Old Dec 7, 2019, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Gala Yuzawa

Has anyone been to Gala Yuzawa on weekend?
Thinking of skiing with the family there the last weekend of this month.
Wondering how crowded the slopes will be, what type of queue we should expect for lifts and ski rentals.

Ski resorts in Jpn are generally pretty good in these departments, but then again Gala has incomparable access and we're talking about the last weekend of Dec.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 9:12 pm

Programs: UA GS>1K>Nothing; DL DM 2MM; AS 75K>Nothing>MVP
Has anyone been to Gala Yuzawa on weekend?
Thinking of skiing with the family there the last weekend of this month.
Wondering how crowded the slopes will be, what type of queue we should expect for lifts and ski rentals.

Ski resorts in Jpn are generally pretty good in these departments, but then again Gala has incomparable access and we're talking about the last weekend of Dec.
28/29 is hard to say. Generally the weekends before 12:30 are not too bad. In the afternoon if you head over to Northern Area or ski the Coach lift, it tends not to be crowded. There is small ski rental shop at the top of the Gondola, which is generally quicker. You can also apply for rental ski ahead of time online.
Old Dec 10, 2019, 9:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by 5khours
28/29 is hard to say. Generally the weekends before 12:30 are not too bad. In the afternoon if you head over to Northern Area or ski the Coach lift, it tends not to be crowded. There is small ski rental shop at the top of the Gondola, which is generally quicker. You can also apply for rental ski ahead of time online.
appreciate all the tips!
i will be sure to book rentals in advance and it’s good to know there’s another rental shop at the top.
Is there locker/change room up top also?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.