Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

JR Pass: Slightly Incorrect Name - Will it be an issue?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

JR Pass: Slightly Incorrect Name - Will it be an issue?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2017, 12:10 pm
Original Poster

Question JR Pass: Slightly Incorrect Name - Will it be an issue?

My sister is going to Japan (leaving a month after I am) and she ordered a JR pass. Unfortunately, she entered the name for the JR pass voucher as surname, middle, first whereas it's supposed to be surname, first, middle.

Do you think it's going to be an issue redeeming the voucher for the actual pass? The names overall match her passport but the first and middle name will be out of order.

TIA.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 1:40 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Not an issue at all
Old Apr 6, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I'd agree. Western naming order is not the same as Japanese, anyway. It'll be fine.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 1:15 pm
Original Poster

Thx for the replies.
Didn't think it would be an issue as nearly every time I've messed something up in Japan, people have been really nice and helpful.

My sister was considering trying to send the voucher back and getting it redone but sounds like she's feeling confident enough now that she won't encounter a problem with it so she's just going to keep it.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
I would presume that the people in the JR office will be pragmatic enough to issue the rail pass if only the order of the names is altered. A family member did a similar mistake on a flight ticket and it wasn't a problem.

And as abmj-jr mentioned, name writing conventions are different in Japan.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 8:09 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by WorldLux
I would presume that the people in the JR office will be pragmatic enough to issue the rail pass if only the order of the names is altered.
In the unlikely event that they're not, and you are attempting to exchange the pass in one of the bigger cities, you can just buy a pass there and send the voucher back for a refund when you return to your country.

List of locations in Japan where you can buy JR pass is on this site:
http://www.japanrailpass.net/en/exchange.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.