Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hints for first time visitors to Japan

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:31 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Hello,

When visiting Japan is it advisable to take out any kind of heath insurance coverage in case someone falls ill etc?

Any answers much appreciated.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:16 pm
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Yes it is recommended. Japan hospital are paid cash and usually before treatment, the costs are high.
You could use your regular travel insurance or with this company Sompo Japan Nipponkoa
Old Jul 9, 2018, 3:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Ti, OW Ruby
Thank you Fransknorge for your reply.

Have you used Sompo yourself?

Thanks,
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:21 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus, Southwest Rapid Rewards, Amtrak Guest Rewards
Originally Posted by tattikat2
Hello,

When visiting Japan is it advisable to take out any kind of heath insurance coverage in case someone falls ill etc?

Any answers much appreciated.
You should always have travel insurance. Shop around for what offers the best coverage of potential medical expenses. I've been careful to get travel insurance since the last time I didn't have it in Los Angeles, had status epilepticus (multiple seizures, never had one before), and it ruined my trip, while I was stuck with the bill for the hospital, ambulance etc.

Also, the US Embassy maintains a list of medical facilities and practitioners in Japan, pointing out where you can find people who speak English. (Being on the list doesn't constitute an endorsement.)
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:24 pm

Originally Posted by susanita3333
Thank you...came to this thread to ask the exact same question and (as always), FT'rs are way ahead of me..THANK YOU to all for the helpful tips and especially the one above.

One question - does each person need their OWN Suica card or can I pay for my daughter's trains, snacks etc with mine?
To get through faregates, everybody needs their own. But you can pay for ancillary things like snacks with your card--as long as you know which card is yours.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 11:01 pm
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by tattikat2
Thank you Fransknorge for your reply.

Have you used Sompo yourself?

Thanks,
No I never used them. I do have a multi trip travel insurance here in Germany where I live. Sompo is well reviewed on Internet and has good recommendations.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:25 am
tt7

Originally Posted by aresef
(re Suica cards) To get through faregates, everybody needs their own. But you can pay for ancillary things like snacks with your card--as long as you know which card is yours.
I’m not sure I understand the last part of your comment - everybody needs a separate card to get through the fare gates but when it comes to using the cards at vending machines, in restaurants, convenience stores etc., it doesn’t matter which card you use. The only ‘issue’ becomes that (assuming you’re traveling together) all the cards will be charged the same train/bus/subway fares but whichever card (or cards) is used for other purchases will obviously have a lower balance than the others and will need to be re-charged sooner. In our experience, the convenience store etc. receipts show the card number and the balance remaining after the current transaction (and the fare gates usually also show the remaining balance) so you can keep an eye on the diminishing balance. We usually try to ‘rotate’ our two cards for non-fare transactions so as as to keep the balances in sync as much as possible.... and then top them both up at the same time, varying the top-up amounts as needed so as to get the balances back in sync as much as possible.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 11:06 am

Originally Posted by tt7
I’m not sure I understand the last part of your comment - everybody needs a separate card to get through the fare gates but when it comes to using the cards at vending machines, in restaurants, convenience stores etc., it doesn’t matter which card you use. The only ‘issue’ becomes that (assuming you’re traveling together) all the cards will be charged the same train/bus/subway fares but whichever card (or cards) is used for other purchases will obviously have a lower balance than the others and will need to be re-charged sooner. In our experience, the convenience store etc. receipts show the card number and the balance remaining after the current transaction (and the fare gates usually also show the remaining balance) so you can keep an eye on the diminishing balance. We usually try to ‘rotate’ our two cards for non-fare transactions so as as to keep the balances in sync as much as possible.... and then top them both up at the same time, varying the top-up amounts as needed so as to get the balances back in sync as much as possible.
That's why I said you need to keep track which card is which. If you've got a family of four and want to pay for sodas or whatever off the dad's Suica/Pasmo, you have to know which card has the most on it/needs the most put on it. But I understand your method.
Old Jul 10, 2018, 10:54 pm

Programs: NH
Originally Posted by tt7
<div style="text-align:left;">I’m not sure I understand the last part of your comment - everybody needs a separate card to get through the fare gates but when it comes to using the cards at vending machines, in restaurants, convenience stores etc., it doesn’t matter which card you use. The only ‘issue’ becomes that (assuming you’re traveling together) all the cards will be charged the same train/bus/subway fares but whichever card (or cards) is used for other purchases will obviously have a lower balance than the others and will need to be re-charged sooner. In our experience, the convenience store etc. receipts show the card number and the balance remaining after the current transaction (and the fare gates usually also show the remaining balance) so you can keep an eye on the diminishing balance. We usually try to ‘rotate’ our two cards for non-fare transactions so as as to keep the balances in sync as much as possible.... and then top them both up at the same time, varying the top-up amounts as needed so as to get the balances back in sync as much as possible.<br /><br /></div>
<br />In case they are really outbalanced, you can charge also your suica/IC card at the convenience store itself.<br /><br />As for checking the balance without paying, you can also just insert your card in ticket distributors in stations and you will know it directly. Just takes a second
Old Aug 8, 2018, 1:51 am
hln

I have read most of this thread, but haven't noticed much about buying a local sim card-
is this an option for travellers ?
i would rather do that then renting a wifi router, as i am aware of the danger of having electric magnetic fields constantly at such a close distance.
thank you all.
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:38 am

Well it is possible to have a data simcard. You can buy it at some airports or go to Big Camera/Yodobashi camera.

As far as i tried, you just cannot have a dial sim card as a non resident... (i mean one with a phone nr)
Old Aug 8, 2018, 2:40 am

But please read the whole tread as it was mentioned and explained before! ^
Old Aug 9, 2018, 10:12 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
google maps and which floor

Google maps can be very helpful with directions for the subway (and walking, etc) BUT
It almost always (phone not maps) loses gps in subway therefore sometimes will not notify you when to get on/off train, but if you take the train it shows the arrival time WILL be exactly right so you'll know when to get off

For using in large stations (and probably other places) maps is often wrong or doesn't give info on the LEVEL eg I was directed to take level 1 and given directions to my hotel from the train station, but actually needed to go to level 3!!
Old Aug 14, 2018, 7:11 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Flying Blue Platinum, JetBlue Mosaic, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska MVP Gold.
It's not too hard to take the subway without Google Maps: most cars now have displays that show info on where you are, where you are heading and what the next stop /current stop is in Japanese and English.
Old Aug 14, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
Except for the old ones that don't But google maps does indicate the number of stops so you can count! (well, unless there is a local vs express issue)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.