Hints for first time visitors to Japan

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hints for first time visitors to Japan

Search this Thread

Old Nov 26, 2019, 12:35 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
I must confess that I missed that one, which is a shame. It seems even better than the shitamachi museum, which is rather small but within walking distance of Ueno Park and surroundings.
downinit likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 1:58 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
We went to the Edo-Tokyo Museum in September. We had a volunteer english speaking guide explain the exhibits and the history of Tokyo. I highly recommend it. It is next to the Ryōgoku Station and the Sumō Museum.
leland, downinit and DragonSoul like this.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 8:22 am

Great thread, wondered if anyone had any recs for Tokyo food tours for street food, low-mid end traditional Japanese food? I've been a couple of times but this time will be with some people who have never visited Japan before and thought a Tokyo food tour of some kind might be a good way to introduce them to a range of Japanese food relatively easily?
Old Jan 5, 2020, 4:44 am

Programs: Tokyo Monorail Diamond-Encrusted-Platinum
Originally Posted by arkellvspressdram
Great thread, wondered if anyone had any recs for Tokyo food tours for street food, low-mid end traditional Japanese food? I've been a couple of times but this time will be with some people who have never visited Japan before and thought a Tokyo food tour of some kind might be a good way to introduce them to a range of Japanese food relatively easily?
For an easy and quick exposure to a variety of cuisine, I suggest walking around a department store basement and going for a kaiseki meal.
To experience street food, I suggest visiting another country.
Shi and arkellvspressdram like this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 12:22 am

Programs: NH Dia/SFlyer, JL Crystal/JGC, MB Plat, WoHyatt Glob, IHG Dia Amb, HHonors Dia
Originally Posted by jib71
For an easy and quick exposure to a variety of cuisine, I suggest walking around a department store basement and going for a kaiseki meal.
To experience street food, I suggest visiting another country.
... or Fukuoka.
arkellvspressdram likes this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 9:29 am

Programs: UA, NW
Outside of Fukuoka, the only place you will find "street food" is at festivals or in parks, and those food carts all sell the same few things: yakisoba (fried noodles), corn on the cob basted with a soy sauce mixture, cotton candy, unexciting stuff like that. Occasionally something unusual will turn up, but mostly not. Sometimes you will find carts serving o-den (a kind of seafood stew) or yakitori (chicken shish kebabs) or, in the winter, yaki-imo (baked yams), but those mainly serve commuters who are on their way home after drinking with co-workers.

Instead of street food, Japan has an amazing number of hole-in-the-wall restaurants. If you can read Japanese, you can find restaurants that specialize in the local cuisine of wherever you happen to be, often restaurants with the pre-modern appellation of the area in their name. For example, a restaurant specializing in the cuisine of Kanazawa would advertise "Kaga cuisine," since Kaga is the old name for the area around Kanazawa.
estnet and arkellvspressdram like this.
Old Jan 6, 2020, 10:30 pm

@arkellvspressdram You might find this useful https://www.tokyozebra.com/blog/tokyo-street-food

What do people classify the snack food omiyage shops with takeout windows as? I've gotten senbei, mochi, doriyaki, taiyaki, manju, monaka, steamed meat buns, and etc? Or the tiny store fronts where you basically have to take home or eat on a bench/on the go? Melon pan, soft serve, freshly fried croquette type things, and some of the crepe stands come to mind. I saw a shop front window in Kinosaki onsen which sold beer and I think a few stands in Miyajima have also had roasting oysters. For that matter, what about those winter oyster shacks in Kyushu or squid food truck in Sapporo (Hakodate?)? I don't really count takeout bento shop as street food (even if sold unrefrigerated at a makeshift street booth or food truck).

Does street food have to be a mobile stand or hut of some sort? I've always sort of classified it as food sold for immediate consumption on the street or in public but perhaps I should be adding the qualifier of a portable food both? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_food "Japanese people consider it rude to eat and walk" - I was so confused when I saw a Japanese school trip full of kids on my first Japan trip walking in cliquey packs outside a temple. Everyone was buying some sort of snack (manju? monaka?) made on the spot and eating it while strolling. I'm not the most coordinated person, though, so I try to find a spot to sit and eat.

There are a lot of hole-in-the-walls. I'd kind of classify those cluttered streets filled with small stands, each with a few chairs and likely a clear plastic curtain "front door" as hole-in-the-wall (some literally under train track supports). A certain one in Shinjuku is famous but there's lots of streets like this in salary man districts or in more traditional pockets. There's also some seafood markets where you can pick your own chirashi options from multiple vendors or get sushi from multiple stands. I'm not aware of any in Tokyo, though. Ramen stadiums usually offer mini bowls so visitors can try a few shops https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3035.html
Old Jan 10, 2020, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by freecia
@arkellvspressdram You might find this useful https://www.tokyozebra.com/blog/tokyo-street-food

What do people classify the snack food omiyage shops with takeout windows as? I've gotten senbei, mochi, doriyaki, taiyaki, manju, monaka, steamed meat buns, and etc? Or the tiny store fronts where you basically have to take home or eat on a bench/on the go? Melon pan, soft serve, freshly fried croquette type things, and some of the crepe stands come to mind. I saw a shop front window in Kinosaki onsen which sold beer and I think a few stands in Miyajima have also had roasting oysters. For that matter, what about those winter oyster shacks in Kyushu or squid food truck in Sapporo (Hakodate?)? I don't really count takeout bento shop as street food (even if sold unrefrigerated at a makeshift street booth or food truck).

Does street food have to be a mobile stand or hut of some sort? I've always sort of classified it as food sold for immediate consumption on the street or in public but perhaps I should be adding the qualifier of a portable food both? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Street_food "Japanese people consider it rude to eat and walk" - I was so confused when I saw a Japanese school trip full of kids on my first Japan trip walking in cliquey packs outside a temple. Everyone was buying some sort of snack (manju? monaka?) made on the spot and eating it while strolling. I'm not the most coordinated person, though, so I try to find a spot to sit and eat.
I have no idea what people are visualising or hoping for when they say/write “street food” either.
Mind you I’m not completely sure what “hole in the wall” means either. It’s not a term used much in the U.K. - at least I’ve never heard it used in Europe.
My father-in-law gets his head turned when we come across those seafood grilling outdoor facing counter places in the Matsushima area. I then end up with a huge blisteringly hot sazae/turban shell type creature and have to figure out how to eat the thing. Ends up being more “seaside path food” than “street food”.

Back to arkellvspressdram’s query, only “packaged” solution I can offer is the Tokyo Metropolitan Government’s depachika tour (free):
https://www.gotokyo.org/en/guide-ser...nds/index.html
Have no direct experience.

If I was arranging a tour for other visitors I would do what ksandness mentioned; pick out a list of prefecture satellite or antenna stores (the ones I like are actually stores with attached restaurants) and go exploring Japan through food specialities and menus. Tokyo is a fantastic place to do this.
My favourite is the one for Miyazaki in the South Shinjuku Terrace right by the Yamanote line exit (Also known as “Konne” at Nishi-Shinjuku)
https://yokoso-shinjuku.com/en/shopping/konne/
Konne website (including menus) https://www.konne.jp/restaurant/ - good place for early dinner -5pm to 8pm - as it isn’t hugely more expensive than lunch time.
It used to be rather cheaper to eat here, but the new restaurant is stunning and the food better than ever so I don’t mind the increased price for the upgraded experience. Always end up spending way too much at the grocery part downstairs.

At Shimbashi, since there is a direct bus to Azabu Juban and South Azabu (Toei Bus 都06 - takes about 20 minutes for the Shimbashi-Azabu Juban route) right next to this prefecture shop for Kagawa & Ehime, I tend to pop in often for the delicious citrus juices, nori, shoyu/soy sauce & ponzu and dried squid/fish. I really need to make it upstairs to their restaurant.
http://www.setouchi-shunsaikan.com/g...ant/index.html

This list offers a good primer of some of the antenna shops in Tokyo.
https://bento.com/dbinx/r-antenna.html

Last edited by LapLap; Jan 10, 2020 at 4:15 am
Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:11 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Adding to the above, - go for a walk in an older neighborhood like Yanaka and keep an eye out for lines of locals on the sidewalk, waiting patiently for a turn at a service window facing the sidewalk. It is likely a little local bakery, sweet shop or other "fresh out of the oven" shop, selling today's fare. The best senbei rice crackers and taiyaki sweet buns I've ever had came from such places. They sell out quickly.
Old Jan 10, 2020, 11:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Just saw this evening menu for the Tottori and Okayama satellite store next to Shimbashi station. I don’t read Japanese but it seems to suggest that between 5pm and 10pm (last order at 9pm) you can order a tasting plate for ¥1,405 and it comes with 10 specialities from both Tottori and Okayama as well as a few regional alcoholic drinks that pair well with them
(First item on menu)
https://www.torioka.com/eat/dinner/
Address: 東京都港区新橋一丁目11番7号 新橋センタープレイス1・2階
Bistro Cafe MomoTeNashiYa Tokyo, Minato City, Shinbashi, 1 Chome−11−7, Shimbashi Center Place 2F
That in itself would seem to tick a a few of the boxes demanded by a micro food tour.
—-
Am completely onboard with the YaNeSen (Yanaka/Nezu/Sendagi) walking tour. Will be taking a close friend on her first visit to Japan there in April, can’t wait to show it to her (other dining places I’m planning to take her to are the Thrush Cafe at Happo En gardens for breakfast and the staff canteen on the 32nd floor of Tower 1 at the Tokyo Metropolitan Government Buildings in Shinjuku for an early - 11:30am - lunch. Passports are obligatory for this one)
chokeman likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 2:36 pm

Programs: UA-½K
Regarding food. Eating out in Japan does not need to be expensive. Compared to Los Angeles, I actually think a lot of the standard fare in Japan can actually be cheaper than in the U.S.

Here's some places to look up if you want good food at very cheap prices:
Denny's <- Nothing like Denny's in the U.S. Quality is surprisingly good. Full meal here is easily ¥1500-¥2000. Japanese & American fare. Cheap breakfasts.
Saizeriya <- Italian-style fare, extremely reasonable prices. You can eat here for under ¥1000 per person.
CoCo Ichibanya <- Japanese curry. 'nuf said.
Mos Burger, Lotteria, Mc D's <- all have interesting things to offer, including the golden arches which has better quality than US fare and their available-in-Japan only menu items are pretty good. Even better: Lotteria and McD's serve Melon Soda.
Saboten, Wako <- Tonkatsu Eat here for under ¥2000 too, Saboten is cheaper, Wako is better.
Lots of Ramen and Udon places. Look for the ticket machine by the entrance to buy want you want.

You mainly need to visit where the locals go, not the tourists. It's not that hard. Find a mall or shopping area the locals frequent - the one I stay close to is Terrace mall in Tsujido. The food court has lots of inexpensive fare, tons of restaurants, and prices are reasonable. First floor has a supermarket - ever have supermarket sushi in Japan? It's way better (and cheaper) than you think. Watch what the locals are buying and select from there. Chopsticks and soy sauce are available at the register when you check out. Fruit and vegetables are all top-quality. On the first floor is takeout style stands where you can buy hot/cold food to take with you or desserts. Also reasonable. ¥99 yakitori? You can do it here. Find out where the local shopping center is wherever you are staying. Ask hotel staff or anyone you are there to meet. You won't be disappointed.

Can't speak Japanese? This is not too much trouble. Learn a few things - like greetings, thank you, please, etc. The reason for this? Trying to speak the local language in any way is greatly appreciated - no matter how much you botch it up. If you get stuck, they will likely be quite helpful getting you what you need. If you do not speak any Japanese at all, you could be greeted with blank stares.

Food on a budget is easy. If in doubt, ask a local.

Note: Regarding a lot of sit-down places: Nearly all of them have a sign-up board near the entrance to place your name and # in your party if the tables are all full - so check for one if you see a queue - it may not be a queue. Even if they are not full, typically you write down your info anyway if no one is there to greet you when you walk in. You'll see a list of names in Chinese characters and a number next to it. Put your name down on the list and the number in your party. The host can figure it out from there.

Last edited by rworne; Aug 10, 2021 at 2:54 pm
Old Aug 10, 2021, 8:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by LapLap
Since we’re going down this route (and not for the first time)

When coming to Japan, bring an effective deodorant/anti-perspirant.

Can’t think of anything sadder than a visitor, who used a locally purchased deodorant that morning, trying to quell the stench of their pits at a public restroom sink with standard Japanese tissues.
Not as sad as a long-term resident that has been in Japan so long that they've run out of their usual shampoo and soap and are using Bioré as a substitute, so their hair and skin looks like it's been irradiated with Pu-239 in a dehumidified room.
LapLap likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by rworne
Regarding food. Eating out in Japan does not need to be expensive. Compared to Los Angeles, I actually think a lot of the standard fare in Japan can actually be cheaper than in the U.S.

Here's some places to look up if you want good food at very cheap prices:
Denny's <- Nothing like Denny's in the U.S. Quality is surprisingly good. Full meal here is easily ¥1500-¥2000. Japanese & American fare. Cheap breakfasts.
Saizeriya <- Italian-style fare, extremely reasonable prices. You can eat here for under ¥1000 per person.
CoCo Ichibanya <- Japanese curry. 'nuf said.
Mos Burger, Lotteria, Mc D's <- all have interesting things to offer, including the golden arches which has better quality than US fare and their available-in-Japan only menu items are pretty good. Even better: Lotteria and McD's serve Melon Soda.
Saboten, Wako <- Tonkatsu Eat here for under ¥2000 too, Saboten is cheaper, Wako is better.
Lots of Ramen and Udon places. Look for the ticket machine by the entrance to buy want you want.

Fruit and vegetables are all top-quality. On the first floor is takeout style stands where you can buy hot/cold food to take with you or desserts. Also reasonable. ¥99 yakitori? You can do it here. Find out where the local shopping center is wherever you are staying. Ask hotel staff or anyone you are there to meet. You won't be disappointed.
I am a little surprised at some of the chain restaurants on this list. Denny's isn't that common in Tokyo? Saizeriya may have a few less outlets than Denny's. It's a fun list for those who like slice of life anime featuring high school. I kept seeing the Soup Stock store underground near larger subway exits and First Kitchens which seem more ubiquitous and budget friendly.

https://bento.com/ is a useful restaurant guide in English.

Some general tips:
  • Lunch Sets are generally better value than dinner
  • Regular (non-gift) fruit is also expensive compared to US lower 48 city prices unless you buy it from a farm stand in the country. Eat it at a hotel's breakfast buffet if you see it.
  • Some lower cost sushi places like Sushiro offer multi-lingual tablet ordering and offer more than raw fish.
  • The least intimidating ordering option for those who don't like ordering from humans, other than a vending machine, is probably a combini. No one will ask you anything while you stand there looking at the food options. Checkout person will ask a few questions about chopsticks, if you want a bag, if you have a point card, and if you need something microwaved if buying a hot item. Plenty of foreign workers and customers in combini and the goal is fast checkout, not a first date. Replying no or looking confused to all of this will still result in decent food out the door (though perhaps say yes to hashi/chopsticks or pack a fork)
  • I'd encourage branching out a bit as combini food isn't the healthiest due to preservatives & intense cost focus and once you get used to ordering, it really opens up more food options.
  • Starbucks isn't the easiest thing to order in person with Japanese style pronunciation, especially with US style lengthy modifications. This might help even though it is meant to be funny https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgoZ0AiWUoM
  • Guys who like sweets - you'll want to get take out from department store, shop front, or possibly eat in at a maid cafe. Dessert cafes are mostly frequented by younger girls or couples.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 8:42 pm

Originally Posted by Pickles
Not as sad as a long-term resident that has been in Japan so long that they've run out of their usual shampoo and soap and are using Bioré as a substitute, so their hair and skin looks like it's been irradiated with Pu-239 in a dehumidified room.
That's just a personal embarrassment. The olfactory assault is still worse.

Biore shampoo? Not the face or body wash, right? Perhaps try the house brand allergy sensitive shampoo and soap?
Old Aug 10, 2021, 8:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by freecia
That's just a personal embarrassment. The olfactory assault is still worse.

Biore shampoo? Not the face or body wash, right? Perhaps try the house brand allergy sensitive shampoo and soap?
Use "Bubble Approved" Aesop !

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.