Japan Customs and Immigration: taking 2 kids without spouse present

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Japan Customs and Immigration: taking 2 kids without spouse present

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2016, 9:25 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
I don't think anyone *requires* a letter -- the letter is just to shut up immigration/customs/law enforcement officers who might get suspicious. In that regard, you are probably best off in general with some sort of official document (like a birth certificate) showing who the parents are, together with a notarized consent letter from the other parent. Hard to doubt the veracity of that.

Originally Posted by ginoa724
You're more likely to be asked a question by the Customs officer rather than the Immigration Inspector. During my last transit at NRT, I went landside since there was no line at immigration. The immigration inspector didn't ask a single question and only said "90 days" and pointed to the passport sticker. The customs officer in the green channel asked more questions like "What do you plan to do in Japan, Where are you staying, etc..."
There was just a news story last week where someone went through immigration at Narita with what sounded like an obviously fake passport, and were only caught at the customs inspection on the way out of baggage claim.
Old May 29, 2016, 10:10 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by joejones
I don't think anyone *requires* a letter -- the letter is just to shut up immigration/customs/law enforcement officers who might get suspicious. In that regard, you are probably best off in general with some sort of official document (like a birth certificate) showing who the parents are, together with a notarized consent letter from the other parent. Hard to doubt the veracity of that.
+1 good advice - I've got six kids and I/her have always carried a notarized letter with a raised stamp on it giving permission for the specific trip. For some reason there are many countries that really want to see a raised stamp on it (particularly eastern European countries) - and have never had an issue - must make them feel better that it's authentic lol...
Old May 30, 2016, 8:37 am

Programs: FT
As much as I agree in this case to get something, one said hard to doubt veracity. That's really the issue. Even if OP gets something, a notary in Canada means nothing on its own in Japan. All the notary does is ask for a doc that is what appears to be official ID, like a passport, and witness that this person signed the document. What they don't do is certify the person is actually who they say they are or who their id says they are.

Further, unless the document is also legalized at the embassy or consulate after certification at local provincial office where the notary resides, there is no proof the notary is even a notary.

So even if OP gets something, it's not entirely certain there will not be issues given on its own, the letter under notary seal is of limited legal value.

That's why I've never understood the advice by our own Canada border services to have something of no value.

The child abductors will just get around it if they want.

So why make the lives of non abducters hard by asking them to get something that's meaningless? Well perhaps most don't know it's meaningless.
Old May 30, 2016, 7:38 pm

Programs: American Express got a hit man lookin' for me
Originally Posted by mkjr
So even if OP gets something, it's not entirely certain there will not be issues given on its own, the letter under notary seal is of limited legal value.

That's why I've never understood the advice by our own Canada border services to have something of no value.
Limited value != no value. A notarized letter is obviously not perfect evidence of custodial authority, and could be challenged in court for all the reasons you state, but the point (again) is to make the relevant officials feel reasonably comfortable that you are not abducting the child[ren].
Old May 31, 2016, 6:38 am

Programs: FT
Originally Posted by joejones
Limited value != no value. A notarized letter is obviously not perfect evidence of custodial authority, and could be challenged in court for all the reasons you state, but the point (again) is to make the relevant officials feel reasonably comfortable that you are not abducting the child[ren].
perhaps, but any relevant official should have better training when it comes to the abduction of children and should not be fooled or comforted by some quasi legal looking document....or there is a much larger problem...

and if anyone was actually serious about it, there would be a much more formalized process, but there is not.
Old May 31, 2016, 6:53 am

Programs: IHG Gold
When I travelled with my school aged children (not to Japan specifically, but we did go there), I would bring a letter from my wife confirming her permission for the children to travel with me outside of Canada and giving a phone number where she could be reached in the event of a problem. Letter was not notarized.

No one ever asked to see it in Japan, although I vaguely remember being grilled at a land crossing (Peace Bridge) into the USA by US border control . He asked if I had such a letter, but never actually asked me to produce it.

Agree the letter really does not have "legal weight" to it, but I still took it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.