Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Japan Customs and Immigration: taking 2 kids without spouse present

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2016, 12:17 am
Original Poster

Japan Customs and Immigration: taking 2 kids without spouse present

I'll be taking 2 school age kids for a 2 week trip to Japan. Due to work/school commitments the other kids and wife will stay home.

Traveling from Canada to the USA in the past I got questioned a bit by immigration and they advised me next time I should bring a letter from my wife (I think with a photocopy of her picture ID if I recall correctly) confirming that it was OK for me to bring the kids into the country. It seems they are hypersensitive about the possibility of child abduction.

Planning ahead for Japan, will there be any similar concerns?
Old May 24, 2016, 9:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Why risk problems, especially if you're rerouted in IROPs and might need to go through the USA or a third country? It seems simple enough to have such a letter, possibly notarized (or the Canadian/Japanese equivalent). I like the idea of also having a copy of wife's passport data page and a driver's license showing that you share a residence.

IIRC the USA State Department website has some information on international travel with kids in the absence of both parents. I think Japan might be one of the places where it can be hard to have kids returned to their legal custodial parent, so they might be especially careful (or likewise the Canadian officials at passport control before you leave).

Last edited by MSPeconomist; May 24, 2016 at 10:51 pm Reason: typo
Old May 24, 2016, 10:02 am
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Community Buzz and Ambassador: Miles & More (Lufthansa, Austrian, Swiss, and other partners)

Programs: LH SEN** HH Diamond
The question has nothing to do with customs.
Old May 24, 2016, 10:26 am

My wife travels with my kids without me all the time to Jpn, and same goes for other families are friends of ours. I've never heard of this issue come up. I can only think this came up with OP, because he's male?
Old May 24, 2016, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA GLD
this issue occasionally popped up when there's an initiative or something to fight international child smuggling. but I've only heard this in the north american where a divorced parent taking children away is an issue. I've heard they check this in asia countries.
Old May 24, 2016, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Why risk problems, especially if you're rerouted in IROPs and might need to go through the USA or a third country? It seems simple enough to have such a letter, possibly notarized (or the Canadian/Japanese equivalent). I like the idea of also having a copy of wife's passport data page and a dirver's license showing that you share a residence.
Thanks for the advice, this is what I will do.
Old May 24, 2016, 10:48 pm

Programs: UA MP
Japan doesn't care about child abduction - the country is known as a safe haven for parental abductions.
Old May 24, 2016, 10:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by acregal
Japan doesn't care about child abduction - the country is known as a safe haven for parental abductions.
Which is why there could be questions by Canadian outbound passport control when they see one parent taking kids to Japan.
Old May 25, 2016, 3:57 pm

Programs: FT
Which is why there could be questions by Canadian outbound passport control when they see one parent taking kids to Japan.
Wait a second. If OP is Canadian and going to Japan from Canada, there is no outbound passport control. As long as op has Canadian passports for them and pax, I don't even think airline staff will say anything and frankly, it's not their business.

I did get some docs on my trip to Japan in case my wife had to fly home to toronto and I had to travel home alone with my child. Not for Canadian border on arrival but for US authorities as I was transiting via the US and for japanese authorities on exit.
Old May 25, 2016, 11:03 pm

Programs: UA MP
I should have clarified - if one parent is Japanese, the country is a haven for international child abduction. If neither parent is, I'm sure the parent would be sent back to wherever he/she is from.

Also, this is a legitimate question from check-in staff - the airline will deny boarding to people who they suspect will not be admitted to the country (or allowed to leave - that happened to a coworker who forgot to renew her visa in Japan).
Old May 26, 2016, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by mkjr
Wait a second. If OP is Canadian and going to Japan from Canada, there is no outbound passport control. As long as op has Canadian passports for them and pax, I don't even think airline staff will say anything and frankly, it's not their business.
Canada doesn't have physical outbound passport control at all regardless of citizenship. Departures by air are recorded by passenger manifests and API data.

You're more likely to be asked a question by the Customs officer rather than the Immigration Inspector. During my last transit at NRT, I went landside since there was no line at immigration. The immigration inspector didn't ask a single question and only said "90 days" and pointed to the passport sticker. The customs officer in the green channel asked more questions like "What do you plan to do in Japan, Where are you staying, etc..."

Last edited by ginoa724; May 26, 2016 at 1:54 am Reason: Add explanation, reduce quote to relevant section
Old May 26, 2016, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by ginoa724
Canada doesn't have physical outbound passport control at all regardless of citizenship. Departures by air are recorded by passenger manifests and API data.
Yes. I know. I live in Canada. I was pointing out to the person suggesting there was outbound passport control has no idea what they are talking about if the OP was Canadian and leaving to Japan directly from Canada.
Old May 26, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
There have been posts (more than one instances) at other FT forum about only one parent traveling with their kids not able to check-in and board an international flight due to not having a notarized consent letter from another parent of kids.

There are cases reported on FT that it is an airline which will refuse travel, does not have to have passport control at departing airport. Same as any other situations, if a passenger refused entry at a destination country then an airline which carried the passenger do get fined. Airlines do care because of this.

Looks as at this moment it is destination country dependent situation.
Old May 26, 2016, 10:28 am

Originally Posted by AlwaysAisle
There have been posts (more than one instances) at other FT forum about only one parent traveling with their kids not able to check-in and board an international flight due to not having a notarized consent letter from another parent of kids.

There are cases reported on FT that it is an airline which will refuse travel, does not have to have passport control at departing airport. Same as any other situations, if a passenger refused entry at a destination country then an airline which carried the passenger do get fined. Airlines do care because of this.

Looks as at this moment it is destination country dependent situation.
What I constantly hear is people talk about Canada Border Services giving people the gears on the return to Canada which is ridiculous...

I am usually a conservative person and I decided to get something specifically in case I had to fly home without my wife as I noted via ORD to YYZ with my child...

So my 2 cents, OP get something...I normally blow this off when I go to the US with my child but it is more on arrival to Japan that I have no idea about ....

but my situation is unique to some degree...
Old May 27, 2016, 5:14 pm

Programs: UA AA MR HH B6
I believe the policy/law in the US is that a father traveling alone with child under 13 (12?) has to have a notarized letter. A mother would not. (Don't ask me, I'm not the law). I went to Japan with just my son, and had a signed letter from my wife, not notarized. She was already in Japan so I was prepared to show her reservations if necessary. I was not asked for anything. I realize OP is from Canada, and not US, so situation is different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.